Tell me about a Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sometime now I've been debating getting an Apple computer to replace our HP. All I've ever owned have been HP's, IBM's and Hewlett Packard's (going back a few years). I like the idea that the Mac's come with very little to no pre-loaded software. Being relatively uneducated with computer systems in general, how would my daily life change if I had an apple instead of a HP? Would my printer software still work on the Mac? Any sort of problems with my cable modem? etc. I'm hoping the operating system would be more reliable than XP. Thanks for your help.

Quote:

how would my daily life change if I had an apple instead of a HP?

It will improve. XP forces you to learn to maintain computers, Macs allow you to use them. It returns computing to a completely enjoyable experience.

I'm not sure why you mean by "Would my printer software still work"; if by this you mean "Can I still use my printer" it depends on what type of printer you have; check the printer's support page; it should tell you whether the printer is supported under OSX; if you have a custom printing program, then no, it won't work under OSX.

I have "introduced" 4 people to using Macs. Three were former PC users and they are not missing that experience; the forth was a new computer user (NEVER used a computer) and they enjoy it too.

I am no fan of XP and I'm surprised by the amount of nonsense people put up with to use it. There are better alternatives....

the rant is pretty funny.

i have use apple/macos for a few years now. the biggest problem is communicating with windows applications. word/excel/powerpoint documents typically come out 'almost' the same. some pc user will make you a document, but you cant run their application. this problem has gotten better in the last couple years with pdf. i see fewer and fewer websites that are internet explorer specific (although my company still has a website that only works with ie).

just about any modern hardware works with both platforms. usb/firewire has made most issues a matter of software instead of adding an apple specific hardware interface. software is cheap. you write it once. hardware is expensive. you have to keep making it.

i was never a big fan of windows and the only reason i can see for using windows is the larger application base.

Of course, on a modern Mac you can install Windows with BootCamp or Parallels and you've got any app without a good OSX equivalent. Parallels has allowed me to not only convert at home (where I had already been using an old G5 for about a year and a half) but now also at work. I can run the handful of Windows apps I need simultaneously in OSX. Being a Windows administrator I was just looking to learn something new when I started using OSX, but I really fell in love when I didn't have to do anything to do it to make it work well.

Here, have a big one!!!!!

jowmac2.jpg

i dont really think parallels (or virtual pc in my case) is really a good answer. oh boy, i get to buy two operating systems and maintain them both. its like getting the worst of both worlds.

I own a PC that I built. I maintain around 20 WinXP systems at work. I also own a MacBook. It's easier to keep up, because MacOSX does it all for you. With the WinXP systems, I have to make sure all the security updates are current, run spyware scans, virus scans, and defragment. The Mac... nothing. Just go. I love my MacBook. I do like my PC but I cannot build a Mac desktop... but if I could, I would be all over it.

Running Parallels in Coalesce mode is the cat's meow...no WinXP desktop...just the application window, that's it. Works very well and keeps Windows OUT of my way.

I love my Mac! I've been working with Macs in my job (doing color correction & retouching in Photoshop) since 1992, but at home I always had a PC up until two years ago. The price of Macs was too high for a long time but they are finally coming down a lot more. I find the Mac way more user friendly and love the fact that you can be using it within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box.

Plus one major bonus is that nobody writes virus's for Mac computers so you are much safer.

There are some security issues with Macs. Even today someone hacked into a Mac using a malformed URL hack and was paid $10,000 to do it. However, the amount of patches that Apple releases reassures me that they ARE patching things in a timely manner to keep their products safe for the end-user. I like that.

Quote:

For sometime now I've been debating getting an Apple computer to replace our HP

Your debate is over. There's no comparison between Macs and PC's.

The operating system on Macs are extremely user friendly and NEVER have security issues. No such thing as needing an anti-virus software for a Mac.

If the administrators will permit me, here's a link to an outstanding Mac forum in case you ever do decide to get a Mac. The people there are very helpful and will answer any questions you may have about your Mac.

http://forums.macrumors.com/

I'm a PC tech by day, and my next machine will be a mac.

You hit a point where your sick of fixing things, and making things work, and you just want a computer to do things that you want to do.

Surf the internet, edit some photos, record some cd's.

I'm looking really hard at either a imac with a big screen, or a mac mini with a big screen.

My brother bought a new dell inspiron laptop that came with windows vista, and its just not a good experience using it.

Crashing constantly, nothing working properly (his printers). His skype phone not working properly.

I'm ready just to get back to basics and just like working on a computer, instead of diagnosing problems non stop.

Quote:

I'm a PC tech by day, and my next machine will be a mac.

I totally endorse this endeavor -- and if it's only because I can't comprehend some people's irrational fears of sudden, catastrophic obsolescence.

I really like the Mac that I have had since 2000, but I like the iMac ( (Intel, Core Duo, 20" screen) that I have had now for nearly a year even better.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back