Teddy 'Trust Buster' Roosevelt - We Need You

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/02132009/transcript3.html

SIMON JOHNSON: What I read from that is that there is an unnecessary and excessive deference to the experts, or the supposed experts.

And I think the view that a lot of people have in Washington - I live in Washington, I follow this very closely - the view is that you need to rely on the technocrats. And the technocrats are saying, "This is the way to go, and you mustn't be too tough on because banks, because that will have adverse consequences for credits, and for the economy, and for unemployment," and so on and so forth. Those technocrats, if that's what they're saying, are wrong. That is not the right way to deal with this crisis.

There are many find professionals at Treasury with great experience, who have spent their lives working on important issues related to the United States. What we face right now is not a typical U.S. issue. We face a crisis, and the president said this on Monday night, the president said, President Obama said, "We've never seen anything like this since the Great Depression."

Therefore, nobody working now, you know, has any firsthand experience. And he also said, "We may face what we call a lost decade." We've never seen that anywhere other than Japan in the 1990s, right?

And something for Treasury officials to really understand, and to really understand the alternatives - they're not, I mean, with all due respect to them, they're not the ultimate authority. I don't think they're the right people.

The correct people you should be asking this question to are people at the IMF. And I can tell you what they're saying is the policy that we seem to be perusing, of being nice to the banks, is a mistake. The powerful people are the insiders. They're the CEOs of these banks. They're the people who run these banks. They're the people who pay themselves the massive bonuses at the end of the last year. Now, those bonuses are not the essence of the problem, but they are a symptom of an arrogance, and a feeling of invincibility, that tells you a lot about the culture of those organizations, and the attitudes of the people who lead them.

......BILL MOYERS: Last year, the securities and investment industry made $146 million in campaign contributions. Commercial banks, another $34 million. I mean, American taxpayers don't have a flea's chance on a dog like that, do they?

....SIMON JOHNSON: ......We have no problem in this country shutting down small banks. In fact, the FDIC is world class at shutting down and managing the handover of deposits, for example, from small banks. They managed IndyMac, the closure of IndyMac, beautifully. People didn't lose touch with their money for even a moment. But they can't do it to big banks, because they don't have the political power. Nobody has the political will to do it.

So you need to take an FDIC-type process. You scale it up. You say, "You haven't raised the capital privately. The government is taking over your bank. You guys are out of business. Your bonuses are wiped out. Your golden parachutes are gone." Okay? Because the bank has failed.

This is a government-supervised bankruptcy process. It's called, in the terminology of the business, it's called an intervention. The bank is intervened. You don't go into Chapter 11 because in that's too messy. Too complicated. There's an intervention, you lose the right to operate as a bank. The FDIC takes you over. I think we agree, everyone agrees, we don't want the government to run banks in this country.

BILL MOYERS: Never done it before.

SIMON JOHNSON: Never done it before. It's not gone well anywhere in the world. And the idea of getting your money out of the bank being like visiting the DMV to get your driver's license, it's not appealing, okay?

That's not what we're going to do. That's not what the Swedes did. That's not the state of the art - it's not what the real banking experts are going to tell you to do. They're going to say, you set it up, you set up the government intervention, and there's various technical ways to do this, so that you re-privatize very quickly.

Now, it might take three months, it might take six months. It'll depend on the overall macro economy turning around. But there's a lot of private money out there. Let's call it private equity.

These people would like to come in and buy these re-privatized banks. You would attach antitrust provisions to this, so the banks are broken up as part of this transaction. Senator Sanders has a great saying. He says, "Any bank that is too big to fail is too big to exist."

And he's exactly right. So, in this transformation, you're bringing in private equity. You're using, I think this is, to me, the right idea, and what we've learned in our country, is you're using part of the powerful financial lobby against another part. You're using private equity, that would do very well in this, against the inbred insider big bankers. And you're doing this in a way so that the taxpayer decides who the new owners are.

The new owners come in and do a lot of the restructuring. They're going to fire all of these managers. I can honestly assure you that. They're going to put in new risk management systems. They're going to have to make the banks smaller. And the taxpayer is going to retain a substantial equity interest. So as these banks recover the value of our investment goes up. And that's how we get upside participation.

BILL MOYERS: So you're not talking about nationalization, are you?

SIMON JOHNSON: I'm talking about a scaled up FDIC intervention. I think we need the FDIC to be empowered. And to have the political support necessary to get this job done.

BILL MOYERS: Splitting this one powerful interest group into competing factions, and taking them on one by one.

SIMON JOHNSON: That is classic oligarchy breaking strategy. Now I do admit that once you've done that, you have to worry about the new oligarchs. That's why you're breaking up the banks. You don't want to just change the owners of banks that are too big to fail, because they'll be coming around in five years for another handout.

The structure or banking system, the concentration of power in big financial institutions has to change. There's a lot of appeal to FDR and what he did in the Great Depression.

I would go back to Teddy Roosevelt 100 years ago, and think about trust busting. Okay? Now, the banks don't violate existing antitrust laws. That's 'cause our antitrust laws are 100 years old and need to be changed, okay? We need to break them up for exactly the same reason that Rockefeller and the oil interests, standard oil, at the end of the 19th century, was too powerful, economically and politically. And it had to be broken up. And breaking it up was the right thing to do. That's where we are with the banks today.

lobbiests run the country.FDR made the recession worst. Abe Lincoln caused the civil war around 5,000,000+ deaths = others

Federal gov comes in and takes over bank. Who does the government sell the bank to? Poor people? NO. They sell it to rich people. Who are rich people that know how to run banks?

BANKERS!!
smirk2.gif
18.gif

This is a joke.

Plus, you have to keep the government from forcing banks to make loans to people that can't pay them back which caused this whole problem in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Phillips_(political_commentator)

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09192008/profile.html

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09192008/transcript2.html

BILL MOYERS: If you read only one book on the route to this financial meltdown, I recommend this one: BAD MONEY: RECKLESS FINANCE, FAILED POLITICS, AND THE GLOBAL CRISIS OF AMERICAN CAPITALISM. The author, Kevin Phillips, has a history of being way ahead of the curve. As a young man working for Richard Nixon, he wrote THE EMERGING REPUBLICAN MAJORITY, a book that uncannily predicted how the GOP would regain power in Washington. Kevin Phillips saw our current crisis coming a long time ago. And in one book of historical insight after another, laid out the clues he was tracking. As recently as last spring in the AMERICAN PROSPECT magazine, Phillips wrote that what he thought was about to happen would be "unusual and potentially tragic."

In the preface of his book, he has written that these things usually come to fruition in August and September. And sure enough, here we are coping in September with the effects of bad money. Kevin, it's good to see you again

.....BILL MOYERS: Give me a quick definition of "bad money."

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Well, "bad money" has a triple connotation. The first is "bad money" in the sense of bad capitalism drives out good capitalism.

BILL MOYERS: That's sort of a historical-

KEVIN PHILLIPS: That's right. We've had-

BILL MOYERS: I don't understand why it is. But-

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Well, because you have to compete with sleaze. Get a little more sleaze in your own operations. And you look at all these lies, these deceptions, these frauds that have been going on. But, I mean, there aren't too many people that would say back two or three years ago that the way to prosper more was to do less of the cheating. You had to do what the others were doing. And that's the way these things — it was true in the Twenties. It's been true in plenty of other bubbles. You have to do it. So just the question of what's been bubbling here and the hugeness of the problem hasn't been revealed to people

.....BILL MOYERS: But there are people, Kevin, who disagree with us, who say that this financial industry has created great wealth for America in the last 25 years.

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Oh, it's created great wealth for a small slice of America. But if you go back and we remember the manufacturing heyday, the auto workers in Michigan had fishing cabins up on the lake. And the middle class had been fattened by the rise of the blue-collar middle class. Well, there's no rising blue-collar middle class now. The middle class is shrinking.

The pie in a financial economy goes to the one or two percent — or even less- that have capital skills and education. We have never had so much polarization and wealth disparity and just groaning wealth right at the top of ladder as we have now under finance.

BILL MOYERS: So how is it that, as you write in the book, the financial sector has hijacked the American economy? You used that term.

......BILL MOYERS: You're very hard in here on Alan Greenspan's tenure at the Fed.

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Well, I know Alan from the Republican campaign back in 1968. He was always a very scholarly, data-driven guy. But I think, for some reason or other, his chairmanship will be remembered as turn on the spigots.

BILL MOYERS: Turn on the spigots?

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Turn on the spigots. He started in 1987 with a crash that was a wicked one in one day in 1987. And he turned on the spigots. And they had the huge growth of the tech bubble in the 1990s. And then right after the tech and the stock market bubble blew up in 2000, you had 9/11. So there was a need for more stimulus. And they ginned up the stimulus again hugely.

And the upshot is that during Greenspan's tenure from 1987 to 2006, what they call total credit market debt in the United States quadrupled, quadrupled from about $11 trillion up to $44, $45, $46 trillion. And finance got the great bulk of it. And Greenspan would do nothing to disturb finance.

He wouldn't puncture a bubble. He wouldn't crack down on the exotic mortgages. He really wouldn't do much of anything except give obscure speeches in which, you know, he mumbled the different directions so nobody would know what he meant. But basically he gave finance what they wanted.

BILL MOYERS: And you write also that during this period the Clinton Administration aided and abetted this kind of speculation. Bill Clinton's economic advisor, Bob Rubin, who later became Secretary of Treasury — wanting to fuel this, right?

KEVIN PHILLIPS: It's been a bipartisan phenomenon. You can go back to the 1980s and say Reagan and George Bush, Sr., got a bubble started. Clinton got in and got an even bigger bubble going. And then George W. Bush with the biggest bubble of all. But it's not that the Clintonites didn't play. They did. Bob Rubin as Secretary of the Treasury — I mean, if he was a Hindu and he was being reincarnated, he'd come back as a pail because this guy bailed out everything you can imagine. They had the Mexican loan bailout. They had the long-term capital management bailout, the Russian Southeast Asian currency bailouts.

......BILL MOYERS: So who do you trust anymore? I mean, you write in your book that the most worrisome thing is the extent of official understatement and misstatement, the preference for minimizing how many problems there are and how interconnected they are.

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Well, just to give you an example of how many there are, Alan Greenspan has finally decided to admit, you know, this may be one of those once-a-century biggies. Well, what makes it fascinating is that I sometimes use the description "seven sharks." There are seven sharks in the tank with the economy.

And the first is financialization because we're so dependent on this industry that's sort of half lost its marbles. The second is that you have this huge buildup of debt, absolutely unprecedented anywhere in the world. The third is you've now got home prices collapsing. The fourth is you've got global commodity inflation building up.

The fifth is you've got flawed and deceptive government economics statistics. The sixth is that you've got what they call peak oil where the world is, to some extent, running out of oil. So it's not just commodity inflation, it's a shortage of oil. And then the last thing is the collapsing dollar. Now, whenever you get this sort of package in one decade, you got a big one. And when Greenspan says it's a once a century, I think it's another variation but on a par with the Thirties.

......BILL MOYERS: But we are going to have a new president in January, no matter how despairing people may be about that. What is the first thing you would find convincing if he did it to meet this meltdown, this issue, this crisis?

KEVIN PHILLIPS: Well, I guess I would without talking out of school particularly, Obama told me one time he read some of my books. So I would be very interested and impressed if he in January started to say something has really gone wrong in this country. And I'm not sure that I or anybody else can turn it around. But we borrowed so much money.

We've let this Las Vegas version of what used to be ordinary banks in our ordinary hometowns go berserk. Our currency is having enormous problems. People are losing their homes. We've got to face up to what our problems are and talk about how this happened. Who did it? Why? Who made the money?

Well, I think if he were to start talking about I'd take him seriously. But I think half of Washington would have a problem in their stomach needing quick relief, let me put it that way. Cause you don't rock that boat. You pretend that it's a sound economy. And if it's not sound, it's nothing that the old Democratic elixir can't fix, you know? Old New Deal in a bottle. We'll have a couple of swigs and you'll be happy again. I don't expect him to level.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Federal gov comes in and takes over bank. Who does the government sell the bank to? Poor people? NO. They sell it to rich people. Who are rich people that know how to run banks?

Yea, but there are outright criminals and frauds running the banks and investment institutions right now. A collusion to reap the riches while dumping on the masses.

I'm sure we could find some legitimate "rich people" to run the big banks from the crop of the elite you're so heIl bent on defending. Some good folks who don't need government help in renovating their offices for a million bucks.

Quote:
Yea, but there are outright criminals and frauds running the banks and investment institutions right now. A collusion to reap the riches while dumping on the masses.

And the government that will be making the decisions about the banks is so much better?

We need government to get out of the way. Let the bad stuff fail and rebuild on the good. This is why capitalism is so great.

This problem was caused by government intervention and will only be made worse by it. Having the FDIC come in and nationalize the banks and sell it at a discount rate to the friends of Congress will not help.

And the government that will be making the decisions about the banks is so much better?

The government has been making the decisions all along since it is bought and paid for by the banks and mega corporations.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

The government has been making the decisions all along since it is bought and paid for by the banks and mega corporations.

I think you have who has been bought and paid for backwards. The government is doing the buying, and it's not on a friendly basis.

Quote:
”It may be necessary to temporarily nationalise some banks in order to facilitate a swift and orderly restructuring,” he said. “I understand that once in a hundred years this is what you do.”

Mr Greenspan’s comments capped a frenetic day in which policymakers across the political spectrum appeared to be moving towards accepting some form of bank nationalisation.

Quote:
Speaking to the FT ahead of a speech to the Economic Club of New York on Tuesday, Mr Greenspan said that “in some cases, the least bad solution is for the government to take temporary control” of troubled banks either through the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or some other mechanism.

The former Fed chairman said temporary government ownership would ”allow the government to transfer toxic assets to a bad bank without the problem of how to price them.”

But he cautioned that holders of senior debt – bonds that would be paid off before other claims – might have to be protected even in the event of nationalisation.

”You would have to be very careful about imposing any loss on senior creditors of any bank taken under government control because it could impact the senior debt of all other banks,” he said. “This is a credit crisis and it is essential to preserve an anchor for the financing of the system. That anchor is the senior debt.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e310cbf6-fd4e-11dd-a103-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

Here comes nationalization.

"We need government to get out of the way. Let the bad stuff fail and rebuild on the good. This is why capitalism is so great."

Government has been getting out of the way, they've been bought off with the campaign contribtions and the revolving door between government agencies that are supposed to be monitoring business and the businesses that are being monitored. Lip service about 'free markets knowing best' paves the way for many such disasters, like peanut farmers regulating themselves on food safety because they know best, Mattel regulating themselves on the lead content of toys because know best, mining companies in Idaho regulating themselves on lead contamination in waterways and towns because they know best, on and on. All of the Great Lakes would be dead by now if companies had their way, all of the fisheries around the world would be depleted, everyone would be buying at company stores, tens to hundreds of thousands would continue to be killed and maimed every year in job related illnesses and accidents, drugs would kill people as testing wouldn't be needed because business knows best.

Giving greed free reign just makes for ever lowering standards as other businesses have to compete, and with the concetration of wealth the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Don't say it can't happen as it use to happen, to the point that the National Guard would be called out to man machine guns to keep people working.

I sometimes mention to friends about the 'sharp stick party', the modern day Flagellants, who keep poking themselves with an ideological sharp stick no matter how bad it gets. They'll be out of work, savings gone, sick from 'free market food', no medical insurance, can't make the mortgage payment, can't afford fuel, kids have lead poisoning from the Chinese toys, their income goes mainly for Chinese goods, but they'll keep poking themselves with that stick.

Capitalism did not cause this mess, government policy did. It is that simple.

No need stick anyone with a stick. If you look at socialist countries in Europe and elsewhere they are in worse shape than we are. If government was the answer to problems this would not be the case.

Please show me otherwise. Nothing you have posted backs your assumption.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
"We need government to get out of the way. Let the bad stuff fail and rebuild on the good. This is why capitalism is so great."

Government has been getting out of the way, they've been bought off with the campaign contribtions and the revolving door between government agencies that are supposed to be monitoring business and the businesses that are being monitored. Lip service about 'free markets knowing best' paves the way for many such disasters, like peanut farmers regulating themselves on food safety because they know best, Mattel regulating themselves on the lead content of toys because know best, mining companies in Idaho regulating themselves on lead contamination in waterways and towns because they know best, on and on. All of the Great Lakes would be dead by now if companies had their way, all of the fisheries around the world would be depleted, everyone would be buying at company stores, tens to hundreds of thousands would continue to be killed and maimed every year in job related illnesses and accidents, drugs would kill people as testing wouldn't be needed because business knows best.

Giving greed free reign just makes for ever lowering standards as other businesses have to compete, and with the concetration of wealth the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Don't say it can't happen as it use to happen, to the point that the National Guard would be called out to man machine guns to keep people working.

I sometimes mention to friends about the 'sharp stick party', the modern day Flagellants, who keep poking themselves with an ideological sharp stick no matter how bad it gets. They'll be out of work, savings gone, sick from 'free market food', no medical insurance, can't make the mortgage payment, can't afford fuel, kids have lead poisoning from the Chinese toys, their income goes mainly for Chinese goods, but they'll keep poking themselves with that stick.

I agree that there are limitations to "free markets". You have to have regulations and some oversight. I think things like the FDA are good and necessary.

I think the Federal Reserve and our fiat money system deserves the most blame. As far as the two parties, they are more or less the same and just as destructive.

Quote:
I agree that there are limitations to "free markets". You have to have regulations and some oversight.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Fed are not "oversite". They are players that distort markets due to their protected status and power. Gov. had controled ~35% of GDP, now ~40% as of yesterday. We DO NOT have a capitalist system in this country.

An now additional $75 Billion to lower lending standards at (a now fully nationalized) FM & FM to "bolster" the housing market...... Isn't that how we got in this mess in first place????

$75 Billion / 9 million troubled homeowners = $8333 per house. That is supposed to save houses???

I realize that, but you are just talking about the housing market/bubble. What about regulating the businesses/industries 1sstruck mentioned? I'm very pro free market btw, but you have to have a regulatory body.

I agree that regulations are needed. There will always be bad things happen regardless of what controls you put in place. Bad peanut butter got out of a business over seen by the FDA. Does this mean the FDA is broken and needs to be rebuilt into something else?

The government owned mines in China are some of the most dangerous in the world. And pollution? The Soviet Union and China, both state run economies, are/were amongst the worst in the world.

Somehow government has garnered a certain benevolence in this country (Gov. control schools surely have nothing to do with this). This is very contrary to what our Founding Father's espoused.

I would like the enforcement of current regulation. That is, for the government and quasi-government employees to get off their collective arses and earn their paychecks.

They can read the sport pages on their own time.

"No need stick anyone with a stick. If you look at socialist countries in Europe and elsewhere they are in worse shape than we are. If government was the answer to problems this would not be the case....Please show me otherwise. Nothing you have posted backs your assumption."

Gee, the Commies are doing better than we are in terms of GDP growth, with +6% compared to -2% in the US. The French are -1.8%, Chile +1%, Australia -1%. The Chinese have more 'free markets' than we do, less regulatory oversight, more pollution, more contaminated food, drugs, products, which is why in part they're doing better. Ponder why the Commies have more of a 'free market' than we do, and why it may or may not be better for them.

http://www.economist.com/countries/USA/profile.cfm?folder=Profile-Forecast
Real GDP is forecast to contract by 2% in 2009 as the financial crisis and the housing downturn take their toll on domestic demand. Slowing growth in the developed world will also curb US export growth in 2009.

http://www.economist.com/countries/China/
The Economist Intelligence Unit expects real GDP growth to slow sharply in response to the massive global economic downturn. In 2009 real GDP will grow by just 6%. Growth will recover in 2010, but only to 7.3%.

http://www.economist.com/countries/France/profile.cfm?folder=Profile-Forecast
The French economy is forecast to contract in 2009, for the first time since 1993. Real GDP is expected to decline by a revised 1.8% in 2009, with a gradual recovery from 2010 lifting growth to 0.3% in that year.

http://www.economist.com/countries/Chile/profile.cfm?folder=Profile-Forecast
We maintain our GDP growth forecast of 1% in 2009 (below the government's 2-3% projection), with exports, imports and investment falling. Recovery in 2010 will be mild, at 2.3% (down from 2.5% in our January report).

http://www.economist.com/countries/Australia/profile.cfm?folder=Profile-Forecast
The Economist Intelligence Unit now forecasts that real GDP will fall by 1% in 2009 (from growth of 0.5% previously), owing to a weaker outlook for global economic growth and greater evidence of strain in the domestic economy

"Capitalism did not cause this mess, government policy did. It is that simple."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/27/corrupt...corruption.html

Corruption And The Global Financial Crisis
Daniel Kaufmann, 01.27.09, 02:58 PM EST
The financial debacle has many causes and implications, but it would be wrong to underestimate systemic corruption.

.......One neglected dimension of political corruption is "state capture," or just "capture." In this scenario, powerful companies (or individuals) bend the regulatory, policy and legal institutions of the nation for their private benefit. This is typically done through high-level bribery, lobbying or influence peddling.

The cost to society of bribing a bureaucrat to obtain a permit to operate a small firm pales in comparison with, say, a telecommunications conglomerate that corrupts a politician to shape the rules of the game granting it monopolistic rights, or an investment bank influencing the regulatory and oversight regime governing them.

As a country becomes industrialized, its governance and corruption challenges do not disappear. They simply morph and become more sophisticated: Transfer of a briefcase stashed with cash is less frequent.

Instead, subtler forms of capture and "legal corruption" exist: an expectation of a future job for a regulator in a lobbying firm, or a campaign contribution with strings attached. In many countries this may be legal, even if unethical. In industrialized nations undue influence is often legally exercised by powerful private interests, which in turn influence the nation's regulations, policies and laws.

This has dire consequences: Witness the various forms of corruption underlying the current global financial crisis that started in the U.S.

There are multiple causes of the financial crisis. But we can not ignore the element of "capture" in the systemic failures of oversight, regulation and disclosure in the financial sector. Concrete examples abound.

First, the way Freddie Mac (nyse: FRE - news - people ) and Fannie Mae (nyse: FNM - news - people ) spent millions of dollars lobbying some influential members of Congress in exchange for, among other things, lax capital reserve requirements for these mortgage giants.

Second, how AIG's (nyse: AIG - news - people ) "small" derivatives unit located in London managed to obscure its accounts, be governed by lax regulatory oversight, and take inordinate risks that effectively brought down AIG's empire of 100,000 employees in 130 countries, accelerating the global financial crisis.

Third, how giant mortgage lenders such as Countrywide Financial switched regulators so to fall under the lax oversight of the Office of Thrift Supervision, which was funded by fees paid by the regulated banks (and which also supervised AIG's derivative unit).

Fourth, how in April 2004, during a 55-minute-long meeting at the Securities and Exchange Commission, the largest investment banks persuaded the SEC to relax its regulatory stance and allow them to take on much larger amounts of debt.

Finally, Madoff's giant Ponzi scheme, some of which appears to be plain fraud, though system-wide irregularities also point to subtler forms of corruption and capture. Years ago the SEC knew that Madoff, who had served on the commission's own advisory committee, had multiple violations and was misleading it in how he managed the funds of his customers. Yet the SEC failed in unmasking the Ponzi scheme.

...The new U.S. administration has stated its intention to address the challenges of transparency and accountability in its stimulus plan. The devil will be in the details. Merely creating an oversight institution will not do; system-wide reforms in incentives are required. Deep-seated transparency reforms need to be a cornerstone in the government's plan, and should apply to U.S. public agencies as well as domestic and international financial institutions. Regulations supporting effective disclosure, as well as improved audit, accounting and risk-rating standards, should be preferred to restrictive regulatory controls that block innovation and growth.

Humbly learning from other nations will also go a long way. The situation in the U.S. warrants studying other countries--for instance, Sweden and Chile, which successfully addressed their financial crises long ago. Chile also offers guidance on how to structure less corrupt and effective concessions in infrastructure, where the U.S. is a novice.

In order to restore confidence, citizens, entrepreneurs and bankers need to have renewed trust in the financial system. That way they can be persuaded that it is no longer a giant Ponzi scheme. Transparency is the key.

Quote:
I agree that there are limitations to "free markets". You have to have regulations and some oversight.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Fed are not "oversite".

What in Judas' name is the made-up word "oversite" supposed to mean here? How do you go from "oversight" to "oversite?" Do you mean to say FM and the Fed are not overseers?

Quote:

Yeah, better not reshuffle the deck. Leave the more experienced thieves in there. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back