Techron "shock" treatment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use Techron about every 5 months in our cars...no real/set schedule...

However, in the past yr or so, I sort of neglected to do this, and I was wondering if i can do a sort of a 'shock' treatment of techron in wife's 03 Elantra (185k miles)...

I am planning to put a whole bottle of Techron in and instead of filling up the tank, I am thinking of getting 1/2 a tank and run it till empty...

I think her tank is 14 gal.

Any harm in doing this?

Thanks....

Probably not. I've run Redline SI-1 and Regane on less-than-full tanks. If it has you nervous, why not do two full tanks with it back-to-back?

Just do it with a full tank.. will have longer to clean everything out. use the large 20oz bottle = win

I've used an entire bottle of Redline in my wife's Accord then added 14 gallons of gas. I do this every 9 months or when I remember.

In a well maintained car, no issue. There may also be little benefit of putting in extra. The original studies showed no real difference between a concentration of 0.03% and 0.05%.

Techron may actually be a little less than 0.03% so you may as well put in the 20oz bottle to be sure you're getting enough.

The original studies found that in a couple of very neglected cars that had seen a lot of short trips, enough carbon was dislodged to get stuck in the spark plugs. Also, fuel tank crud was also introduced into the system in another neglected car.

In your case, however, there is very little chance you have built up anything remotely as bad. And I would also say that using 20oz is hardly going to be a shock treatment anyway. 2 x 20oz would probably be more of a shock treatment and very little risk there as they tested 0.05% concentration levels and that is what that would be.

If you want to be sure, I would favor the 2 back to back treatments as more effective than 2 bottles at once.

Last edited:
The longer it's in there the better:

Solvent based cleaners do better less diluted.

PEA containing cleaners, like Techron, are BEST used with length of time in the system.

I do this on my Saturn and have for years, no problem. Other people here have also.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
If you're running E10 as fuel, then all will be clean. Ethanol is a powerful and corrosive fuel system cleaner.

Wrong... Ethanol will leave behind deposits and causes a lot of the carbon issues that many of us have.

Get a 20 ounce bottle, take a ride to the gas station, pour in the bottle, fill'er up and drive until you hit 1/8 a tank. Fill'er up again skip the Techron. At the next fill up repeat the first step I mentioned. JMO

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Wrong... Ethanol will leave behind deposits and causes a lot of the carbon issues that many of us have.

No, its a cleaner

Have a look at this web page.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Key take aways: Since E10 is a strong solvent, cleanser, de-greaser, anti-freeze and octane enhancer, regular use of additional gas additives is usually unnecessary - Only unique circumstances will determine the need for additive use, (E.G. prolonged gas storage, high humidity/moist environments, marine engines, older vehicles).

Using alcohol-based and strong solvent additives as a preventive measure in fresh, good e10 gasoline is not recommended, since this will only increase water absorption and parts disintegration, and may also raise ethanol content over manufacturer recommended 10% maximum.

Most fuel additives are just alcohol, stoddard solvent or naphtha..Techtron is the exception. Top tier fuel has cleaners in it, so no need for more. Just empties the wallet, and makes user "feel Good"

Last edited:
Gas, alcohol, even water can be called solvents. Hello?

Forget all the 'no additives' baloney. We're all individuals with differing duty cycles, so some may need some help and others may not.

If you have a 14-16 gal tank, I'd just use Techron System Cleaner for the 20 gallon tank and as mentioned fill the tank to get the long term cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back