Techron Concentrate Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GYGuy81
Hello,

I have ordered the Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System cleaner. Issue is that I ordered the bigger 20oz bottle which is for up to 20gal. But the gas tank size is about 13.2gal.
Unfortunately returning it and ordering the smaller bottles is not a real good option because it has been shipped to Germany.

Is there any risk to the engine when I use use a bottle of the concentrate every 6000 miles (instead of every 5000 miles)?

No. I (and many others) have overdosed with no issues. However, the bottle does have a cap. If you are paranoid, run half of the bottle in one tank, and the remaining half in the next.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Techron is a standard additive in Chevron gasoline. If Techron caused problems with fuel injectors it wouldn't be an isolated case.

Old thread I know, but Chevron used to warn against using Techron Concentrate too often. Something about rapid depletion of motor oil additives. They used to recommend no more than every 3000 miles, and even then recommended using it for a full tank before changing oil. I think the idea was to have a minimal period where the additives were depleted, and then changing the oil to replenish the additives.

Of course their formulation could have changed, and/or perhaps motor oil has changed. However, the idea is that an excessively high concentration isn't needed all the time and could have negative effects if used continuously.

The techron is a great product. The problem is the previous neglect. A person runs dozens of thousand miles and never do a fuel system clean up, one day he throws 2 bottles. So, all that residues goes to the filter (coarse parts) and injectors (fine parts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back