Tapping into the fuse box to charge battery

Can I tap into the fuse box by using this adapter to charge battery when using Battery Tender? Main 12V battery is located inside the trunk but the fuse box is located at the engine compartment. I wanted an adapter accessible to charge the battery even when the hood is not open. Is that possible? Thanks for any input
s-l1600.jpg

Do you have a 7 way BLADE( not round) trailer wiring port? If so you could get a 7 way plug and wire it for the battery tender.

On a 7 way BLADE the ground is at 7-8 o'clock and the hot is at 1-2 o'clock. My trucks 7 way is hot with the switch off, i bet most are.

1 amp or so should be fine as a trickle, remember it is probably fused so not a full amp battery charger, just a trickle charger.

1644159647718.png

Last edited:
With that you probably can.
For my own, I connected the +/- wires from the maintainer directly to the battery posts under the battery cables themselves.

My Schumacher Maintainer has a 110v pigtail. I cut & made the my own lead(from a piece of 100 ft extension cord). I cut about a 3-4 ft piece off of the 100 ft extension cord.

I then bought from HomeDepot, the male/female ends(including the replacement for the 100 ft. ex.)

I then fed the 3-4 ft piece through & down to the bottom of the vehicle's lower grill.

From there, I can plug in to and existing extension cord in my garage.

Your's is different but I believe it can be done your way. Best of luck I think this is a great Idea that everyone should do. (y)
I'd love to hear more of you you ended up doing this and how others do/did it.

CB

Do you have a 7 way BLADE( not round) trailer wiring port? If so you could get a 7 way plug and wire it for the battery tender.

On a 7 way BLADE the ground is at 7-8 o'clock and the hot is at 1-2 o'clock. My trucks 7 way is hot with the switch off, i bet most are.

1 amp or so should be fine as a trickle, remember it is probably fused so not a full amp battery charger, just a trickle charger.

View attachment 87841
No sir, sorry, I don't the 7 way blade but what I have is the adapter supplied by Battery Tender pictured above.

With that you probably can.
For my own, I connected the +/- wires from the maintainer directly to the battery posts under the battery cables themselves.

My Schumacher Maintainer has a 110v pigtail. I cut & made the my own lead(from a piece of 100 ft extension cord). I cut about a 3-4 ft piece off of the 100 ft extension cord.

I then bought from HomeDepot, the male/female ends(including the replacement for the 100 ft. ex.)

I then fed the 3-4 ft piece through & down to the bottom of the vehicle's lower grill.

From there, I can plug in to and existing extension cord in my garage.

Your's is different but I believe it can be done your way. Best of luck I think this is a great Idea that everyone should do. (y)
I'd love to hear more of you you ended up doing this and how others do/did it.

CB
This is what I use on all 4 of my vehicles.

View attachment 87845
arent there charging posts under the hood?
Hello,
20220206_104004.jpg

These are the pictures of what I have on my car. The white post is HOT coming from positive terminal of the battery. But the thing is I don't have the option to screw the adapter on the post. So, my alternative I guess is tap one of the fuse on the fuse box, so that I don't need to raise the hood every time I charge the battery. I seldom use this car though probably once or twice a week. Thanks for all the input.

This is what I am doing every time I charge the battery.
20220206_104239.jpg

what does that white post bolt to? I would connect to that.

Or just hook up to the battery in the trunk and run the cord running into the trunk. It is not that thick and should not harm the seal at all.

what does that white post bolt to? I would connect to that.

Or just hook up to the battery in the trunk and run the cord running into the trunk. It is not that thick and should not harm the seal at all.
I thought about doing that or just leaving the quick connect hang out the seat but then I would have to have a window cracked or door open for the cord which would be bad if it snowed or rained. I'm still working on it but best place is going to be under the hood using the charging posts and route the cable thru the grill.

You do want the charging cord to go near the driver's door, or you will at some time drive away forgetting to disconnect it.

Back