talked to ford and have some answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
All kidding aside. I don't think the truck stock was rated to handle 8650. But I do know it has more leafs than an avg 150 so who knows what all been sneak to it. I do think its odd that everything is right except the gvwr. But I agree its to high. However I think Ford whimpy 2200 towing is a joke LOL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

02 3/4 ton 6.0 4.10 gears Chevrolet. With a Tow rating of 10,000 lbs. Truck weights 6000lbs on the scale with Me, the Wife two kids and full fluids.

Your sticker is wrong. Notice my 9200 LBS VS your 8600 ish.
No way no how.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
All kidding aside. I don't think the truck stock was rated to handle 8650. But I do know it has more leafs than an avg 150 so who knows what all been sneak to it. I do think its odd that everything is right except the gvwr. But I agree its to high. However I think Ford whimpy 2200 towing is a joke LOL

Well, if it is any consolation, my Expedition is rated for 7,900lbs (towing) LOL
smile.gif
It is the 5spd that cripples the towing capacity of your truck.

Umm I owned a '93 F-150 Lightning from July '05 till last week, don't ever remember looking at the door sticker...

BTW it's a Warranty/Data label, not a VIN label... Yes it will have the VIN on it but the "official" VIN is riveted to the dash...

I just got back from brake and was at mg Donald's. Well the guy that sold me the truck was there. He asked how it was doing and I told him the deal with the tag. He said the guy he bought it from used it to haul cars all the time because he bought and sold them. He is the one that apparently put the extra leads under it. He said he also put the bigger radiator and he changed the gears in the rear end . He said theyvare either 3.55 or 3.73 he want sure. The guy redid the sticker is what we assume but that'd also why the guy put 31 in tires on it to Hold the extra weight . So if that's all true it sheds a little insight. And in the manual transmission. Do they Rate them low because they can't handle the abuse or just for warranty claim purposes. Because I thought sticks were stronger for pulling that a slush box

Your vintage F-150 with a manual transmission has a lower tow rating than a comparable truck with an automatic. Those manuals were built by Mazda and are a light duty transmission. They even use ATF for internal lubrication, not gear oil like a F-250 HD would use. My first thought the decal you are showing looks suspicious. Have you done a carfax or autochek on it? Something isn't right here. Late 80's/early 90's F-250 HD's had a GVW of 8650. Back in the day you could get a F-250 with a GVW of 6600, 7700, or 8650.

Last edited:
I just got back from brake and was at mg Donald's. Well the guy that sold me the truck was there. He asked how it was doing and I told him the deal with the tag. He said the guy he bought it from used it to haul cars all the time because he bought and sold them. He is the one that apparently put the extra leads under it. He said he also put the bigger radiator and he changed the gears in the rear end . He said theyvare either 3.55 or 3.73 he want sure. The guy redid the sticker is what we assume but that'd also why the guy put 31 in tires on it to Hold the extra weight . So if that's all true it sheds a little insight. And in the manual transmission. Do they Rate them low because they can't handle the abuse or just for warranty claim purposes. Because I thought sticks were stronger for pulling that a slush box

In at least the last 20 or so years, the auto has always been rated higher. IIRC, this was the case with the diesels too. Ford built some pretty beefy automatic transmissions for their trucks, the E4OD/4R100 is freakin' HUGE.

54792d1224295396-4r100-install-dscf0202.jpg

That is one next to a 5R55.

size doesnt mean much though right? because autos have more [censored] inside.

Sure it does. It means the inside parts are bigger. Those are both auto's above. Which one is going to have bigger, stronger internals? Yes, that would be the one that's good for 1,000lb-ft of torque
wink.gif

to me this is still kind of confuisng. i always thought the gvwr was lower than the gcwr. my GVWR is 8650. any thoughts on this. lets not argue either lets just keep it cool.

Semi off topic, but here's a real laugh for you. Lately, in this province, let's say you buy a new truck with a really hefty towing capacity, like a one ton. If you actually intend to use it for towing anywhere near the limit (even within three thousand pounds of it), you need to pay extra for your registration. Are they assuming that people use F-350s as grocery getters?
wink.gif

My state DMV asks you what you want your registered weight to be. They round up unless you want to round down, so a base commercial plate is 6000 lbs, then up to 9000 is the next step.

My 1000 lb harbor freight trailer got a 2k plate for example. It's all about how the weight abuses the roads. You can underrate your plates but don't get caught.
27.gif

Way back in the day they had "camper special" 1/2 ton trucks with beefy weight ratings. If it's not in the brochures listed, it doesn't exist in your era though. I can only guess they did that so you'd get coil springs in the front so it wouldn't be as punishing a ride as a real 3/4 or 1 ton.

I just got back from brake and was at mg Donald's. Well the guy that sold me the truck was there. He asked how it was doing and I told him the deal with the tag. He said the guy he bought it from used it to haul cars all the time because he bought and sold them. He is the one that apparently put the extra leads under it. He said he also put the bigger radiator and he changed the gears in the rear end . He said theyvare either 3.55 or 3.73 he want sure. The guy redid the sticker is what we assume but that'd also why the guy put 31 in tires on it to Hold the extra weight . So if that's all true it sheds a little insight.

So I was right - some previous owner always used the truck overloaded. They decided to get a fake sticker made up so if he got caught it may pass muster with the police, DOT or whoever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
My state DMV asks you what you want your registered weight to be.

That's exactly what they do here - how much do you want to tow? It seems overly complex to me, and an answer to a question no one asked. If they bought a one ton, it should be assumed (although probably erroneously, though that's not the point) that they would use it to capacity. To make matters worse, they ask the same nonsense (at least they did a couple years ago) for business plates on such trucks, which would then be expected to actually be used for working.

If the manual transmission in your truck is the M5OD or Mazda 5speed with OverDrive, that is the weak link in your towing set up. I had a 97 with the M5OD that severly crippled the tow rating of the truck, my understanding from visiting several Ford forums is that transmission is inferior and cant stand up to too much weight.

Purely a warranty thing due to the 5 speed's weak clutch.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Your vintage F-150 with a manual transmission has a lower tow rating than a comparable truck with an automatic. Those manuals were built by Mazda and are a light duty transmission. They even use ATF for internal lubrication, not gear oil like a F-250 HD would use. My first thought the decal you are showing looks suspicious. Have you done a carfax or autochek on it? Something isn't right here. Late 80's/early 90's F-250 HD's had a GVW of 8650. Back in the day you could get a F-250 with a GVW of 6600, 7700, or 8650.

The ZF 6 speed in a diesel F550 used ATF.

Extra leafs could just be the HD suspension or payload package. Doesnt put the numbers massively high, but see the images I posted - there are different payload packages which surely would add leafs. Doesnt make it a 1 ton suspension or anything like that...

well yes i realize that. but you can put 3/4 tons leafs under a half ton . though the axle is still a half ton. thats all i was meaning. so is the transmission really that awful that it cannot even tow a respectable amount?

The transmission is not awful at all, and it's not the reason the tow rating is low. You lose the torque-multiplication you get with a torque converter, which reduces the trucks pulling power. And a lot of people do not know how to properly operate a clutch, so Ford lowered the rating of the manual trucks to minimize warranty claims. That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back