Talk to me about a...umm...errr...Glock 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Being into guns and not owning a Glock, is like ordering a pizza with no cheese.

I have owned a significant amount of firearms for a man my age, but never a Glock. I have shot them, and I appreciate their reliability, simplicity, and durability. However, they just never felt great in my hand so I passed on them. The only one to really tempt me was a semi rare 17L for cool factor only.

Being into guns and not owning a Glock, is like ordering a pizza with no cheese.
Haha...well, I do still prefer my Walther P99, but as they say...I may be assimilated into the Glock fold with (at least) one Glock 19 Gen 4 (I almost never buy one of any gun).
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Haha...well, I do still prefer my Walther P99, but as they say...I may be assimilated into the Glock fold with (at least) one Glock 19 Gen 4 (I almost never buy one of any gun).
laugh.gif

I just can't get into Walther's. Too high of a bore axis. They almost look like Hi-Points.

For anyone who is interested, Brownell's currently is selling new Gen 3, Glock 19's with 2 magazines for just $499.00. Not bad. (Sorry for the long cut and paste).

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frames/g19-g3-handgun-9mm-w-2-15-round-magazines-sku100300134-87320-177192.aspx?sku=100300134&utm_medium=email&utm_source=marketo&utm_campaign=2016_09_30_fallsale&utm_content=sale%26clearance&cm_mmc=email-_-marketo-_-2016_09_30_fallsale-_-sale%26clearance&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTW1JeU5USmhNR05tTTJOayIsInQiOiJ4dFpFcnhrZWdjZFFWdElGTW1qUjc5TldpazNhU1BLQmxBVHNRcFB2YzQ4ekZRQ2JOWk53M0p2cHA3VmgwV2VhU0l5aUhsbzFJNFZtOHlXM2tMT05ERThldXp3OUg2MkNJdVV4T0hIbUM2Zz0ifQ%3D%3D

laugh.gif

I just can't get into Walther's. Too high of a bore axis. They almost look like Hi-Points.

You own Sig Sauer pistols though right? Those have notoriously high centers of gravity (almost half an inch higher bore axis than my Steyr and almost that much higher than a Glock). Last I checked the bore axis on a Walther PPQ was about that of a 1911. The slides look taller than on a Glock though, that I think gives an illusion to a higher than actual bore axis. Most Glock shooters just find the ergo differences to be weird going to a Walther.

Last edited:
laugh.gif

I believe (in the case of the P99) the bore axis only appears to be really high (not saying that is not higher than the Glock) due to design of the slide (P99 on the top right).

IMG_03224.JPG

I just bought a 32. Posted a thread in this forum about it. Personally I think the 23 or 32 is the way to go, because it's the exact same dimensions as the G19, and you can shoot 2 different calibers (.40 S&W or .357 SIG) by changing only the barrel. There are also 9mm conversion barrels available. And, with Underwood Ammunition, you get a round that duplicates or exceeds .357 MAG from a 4" barrel revolver, with more than double the capacity and significantly reduced recoil from a revolver (1500+ FPS from the Glock 32 4" barrel, 125-gr. bullet).

But the G19 is a great choice, too, especially with the outstanding 9mm ammunition now available (HST, Gold Dot are the top 2 IMHO).

Additional benefits are:

- Capacity for its size - no other handgun that size holds as many rounds
- Mag interchangeability and capacity - 15, 17 and 33-rd. capacity mags for the G19, and 13, 15 and 22-rd. for the G23/32
- Parts availability (aftermarket and OEM) - Glock is the "Small-Block Chevy" of handguns

We all have our favorite firearm or firearm brand and I will be the first to admit I have never liked Glocks. I owned a Gen 1 Glock 26 back in the 90s and never really liked it because it was too small for my hand and because it was "twangy" and transferred a lot of vibration from the pistol to the palm of my hand. I was at the range today and was perusing all of the pistols they have and walked over to the Glock section. With an open mind, I said to myself--"What the heck? Give one a try."

I picked up a Glock 17, 19, 22, 23, and a 43. I was impressed with the 19 to the point that I rented one that was brand new out of the box (I was the first person to shoot it). I placed 5 shots in a 2" circle at 7 yards and now am rethinking my stance on Glock pistols. The "outline" rear sight makes it easier for me to tell if I am holding the front sight centered versus a traditional 3 dot sight. I do not wear bifocals (just standard reading glasses when I need to read) so the rear sight can be fuzzy at times, but the outlined rear sight helped tremendously.

For conversation purposes:

- What do you like best about a Glock 19 versus other brands in the same size?
- One of the range staff mentioned there are aftermarket triggers to improve the feel and function. Any one do this?
- Tritium night sights. Any favorite brands?
- Concealed carry. It seems to be a bit smaller than my Walther P99. What are your ECD experiences?
- IWB holsters. Any favorites?

TIA for your thoughts.

I have the G23(2gen) which is the .40 cal version of the G19. It's been 100% reliable with a variety of ammunition over the last 10 years that I've owned it.

I installed a 3.5 pound disconnector which improved the trigger nicely. It's been 100% reliable for the last 9 years since installed.

I use it for concealed carry in the winter or when clothing allows. It's big and not extremely easy to conceal. I use an OUTSIDE the wasteband Galco holster. For me, the G23/G19 is way too thick to use with an inside the wasteband holster.

I never have really gotten into Glocks, either, but for no particular reason. Every time I go into the gun store to seriously look at one, I get to comparing it with something else and I choose something else. I say this fully admitting that I've sold all of those "something elses" due to various reasons (never reliability, though).

I'll own a Glock one day. It'll likely be either a 43 or a 26 or a 17. The 19 just hits my palm weird. Maybe if that "5th generation" comes out with a significantly reduced palm swell, I'd be a customer. That palm swell is really the only reason I don't care for the 19. Comfort/ergonomics -- no other reason.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyed
I'll own a Glock one day. It'll likely be either a 43 or a 26 or a 17.

I had a 19 on order and then held the 43..and you know the rest.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The 19 just hits my palm weird. Maybe if that "5th generation" comes out with a significantly reduced palm swell, I'd be a customer. That palm swell is really the only reason I don't care for the 19. Comfort/ergonomics -- no other reason.
I thought the Gen 4 had several different backstraps that could be interchanged or is that not to what you are referring?

I like fire arms but do not like the way Glocks feel in my hand. Being not very attractive pieces doesnt help either.

Cz master race czeching in
whistle.gif

dz744pa.jpg

Didn't particularly like my 26 either until I received some individual one on one instruction time from a police department firearms instructor. For some unknown reason the gun started behaving better and was more capable of putting rounds where I wanted them to go. My advice to you is take your Glock 26 to a qualified instructor and let him talk to it.

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
I like fire arms but do not like the way Glocks feel in my hand. Being not very attractive pieces doesnt help either.
whistle.gif

dz744pa.jpg

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. To me that gun is *****..just as you see Glocks being Ugly. I personally like the Look of Glocks. Simple..economy of style. But again to each his own.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
whistle.gif

dz744pa.jpg

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. To me that gun is *****..just as you see Glocks being Ugly. I personally like the Look of Glocks. Simple..economy of style. But again to each his own.
cheers3.gif

People who like the look of Glocks probably loved the look of late 70's and 80's Volvos.....Glock they're boxy, but good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back