synthetic oil in older bmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
i ran amsoil 20w-50 in my 78 bmw r80/7. it made an oil leak i had worst (i understand why, so don't bother explaing it) but other than that there didn't seem to be any problems. i went to the dealer who i bought the bike from and was chatting with him. i mentioned that i put synthetic in it and he flipped out. said never put synthetic in bmw's or ducatis, he said that it makes tons of carbon build-up form on the piston head.

i am a big believer in amsoil (just beacme a dealer
smile.gif
and i think he is full of it.

what do y'all think

thanks

-jason

Hi,
jarmstrong - I have no knowledge of Amsoil
products.
These engines have very "simple" oil needs without a transmission to consider

The R100RS has a thermostically controlled ( 90C I think ) engine oil cooler which is why mine was initially put on SLX 0w-30. I just got a bit nervous on hot 110C summer days, and, after a water coooled VW engine problem with the same oil!

I used Castrol synthetic gear and diff oils in mine too. It sure made a difference to the box.

Regards

Doug, Roy Rogers the old t.v.cowboy star once said when your young and fall off of a horse you may break something , but at my age when you all fall off of a horse you splat!

[ September 04, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Hi,
yes Steve S - horses are not as quick as even older Bimmer bikes

My "big scare" came early one Sunday morning at about 120km/h - I came over a sweeping corner hill to find a Kangaroo in the middle of the three lane road about 25 metres away. They are stupid animals and I have learned that you aim for them and they normally jump off. I had no choice, I did this and it jumped away

Next time - well ?

I miss the bike a lot! I sold it to an enthusiast so I suppose thats a plus

Regards
Doug

Doug:

Back around 30 years ago I was doing about 100 kph in a driving rainstorm in southern Utah. There was flooding across the road, and Utah has this slippery red mud that was here and there on the road. Suddenly, in front of me, I see a full grown heifer standing broadside in the road, just looking at me heading for her. I put on the brakes ever so gently to avoid sliding on that mud, but hopefully hard enough to avoid the cow. I stopped about 6 feet short, and when I came to a full halt, the cow spooked and jumped out of the way.

quote:

Originally posted by jarmstrong:
i mentioned that i put synthetic in it and he flipped out. said never put synthetic in bmw's or ducatis, he said that it makes tons of carbon build-up form on the piston head.

He might be concerned with the fact that air cooled engines usually burn a little oil since they are not as tight as water cooled engines. And some synthetic oils might not burn as clean as dino juice. Whether these concerns have any basis in reality is another question.

Hi,
jarmstrong - I had a BMW R100RS and ran it in Castrol RX Super. It then was put on Castrol SLX 0w-30 and later Castrol R 10w-60 - it never missed a beat. If I remember correctly, BMW Special Oils (synthetics) are recommended in the Handbook too

If I still had the bike ( I'm sad I sold it but at 64 my wife got nervous - it was it or her ) it would still be on R 10w-60

A dose of Techron once in a while helps too

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back