Synthetic in Jeep 4.0 with 130K

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got my wife beat, Greaser. She's @ 150k in her 99.

Yes, any oil changed often enough will have it run a long time. Some oils you can change less often.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Yes, any oil changed often enough will have it run a long time. Some oils you can change less often.
Ya but it also doubles as a taxi cab for 3 teenage sons with soccer,football,hunting etc.on the itinerary.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Silber Igel
... These variants of the old Chebby "Stove Bolt Six" are tractor motors. Low rpm 'torque-rs'and any revving over 3000 rpm just converts gas to noise...

The 4.0L makes it's peak torque around 3000-3200 RPM (depending on the info source). It's also not related to a Stove bolt, except for being an L6.

IMO, 4.0L's and 2.5's do very well on dino 5/10W30. However, I've found that under extreme conditions, they can shear the oil. I've had great results using 10W40 and SAE30 for the wheeling season. I've been thinking about trying 5W30 Torquepower now that I've stocked up. It would be interesting to see how it holds up. I'm heading to Moab in two weeks, so that will be a good start to the test!

Running RP 0W-40, RP 75w-90 in both diffs, & RP Max ATF and it is an exceptionally quiet 01 Cherokee @ 117K. Sometimes, when at a stop light, there is no audible sound from the 4.0 except the Gibson exhaust I have on it.

M1 HM 10w-30 and a Wix will make that motor run for a long time! I have been running that combo for awhile at 4k mike intervals.

Originally Posted By: Silber Igel
Syn motor oil in a 4.x L engine is way over the top...IMHO.
31.gif

Cheers!
12.gif

It's a Group III syn, not all that different from a Group II conventional....

i drove a 91 yj from 1999-2005 (put 98k on it) all with 5w30 dino(what ever was on sale).
i will buy another (tj,jk) after my 3 kids are out of car seats!

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

i drove a 91 yj from 1999-2005 (put 98k on it) all with 5w30 dino(what ever was on sale).
i will buy another (tj,jk) after my 3 kids are out of car seats!

Yes ..a young man
grin2.gif
I drove a C20 with heavier ONE TON suspension for 3 years (75-78) It was great for keeping in shape with "dynamic tension" while on curves and whatnot. Assuming no washboard, the truck stayed flat ..but you were the free radical on the interior. Legs got plenty of work keeping you upright. In the rough? Well, being thrashed just went with the turf. I replaced it with another one after 100k plus.

People tend to rethink the purchase of a SWB jeep. The owners are either in their 20's or their 50's. Wranglers don't do soccer parent well. Minivans are there for a reason. Even a Cherokee (XJ) is cramped for family.

btw- I've done quite a few extended drains on both the 4.0 and 2.5 that I own. It all comes down to matching the oil with the desired service interval. RTS went back to back for two 9500/13month OCI's on my 2.5. 12.5k was the former limit on my wife's 4.0 ..but we may top that with the current fill of HDD for one year.

That is, the notion that this/these engines are tough and "numb" can be manipulated out a couple of ways. They do tend to inspire the nostalgic/traditional American view of engines ..where it used to be "change the oil and filters and it will run forever". Given that the engine design is probably 40 years old (for the most part), that's understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back