Synthetic Blends

... virgin sample for comparison...

1688683440934.png
What are the dates of each of those VOAs?

I just checked with my local Napa and your right prices are up by 0.49 cents so make that $6.99 for M1 5w30 SN...

If Walmart is handy here is their 100% synthetic 10w30 api SP is $19.95 for a 5 quart jug... virgin sample for comparison...
Huh?

You do realize that "full synthetic" NEVER meant 100% synthetic in the US market, right?

And it has been explained to you that comparing VOA additive amounts doesn't mean jack as to suitability for an application, right?

Synthetics hold up better to heat than regular base oil.
The supposed benefit of conventional oil is that it has better cling than the true Group IV and V synthetics.

The idea of the blends is that you get some of the heat benefit of synthetics, and some of the startup lubrication benefits of conventional oil.

In the early 1990's I called all the majors, and asked how much oil was in their "full synthetic" oils. The answer was the same across the board, at least 30%. All had a "Base oil" of conventional, at 70% or less. So at one time, there was a standard.

But since Castrol won the right in court to call Group III+ oil "synthetic", and there never seems to be have been a standard for semi-synthetic, it's all a muddle now.

In the early 1990's I called all the majors, and asked how much oil (Group 4 & 5) synthetic base oil was in their "full synthetic" oils. The answer was the same across the board, at least 30 vol%. All had "Base oil" of conventional conventional base oil (Groups 1-3), at 70 vol% or less. So at one time, there was a standard were better market expectations and options.
There, I think I fixed it for you. ^ is that what you meant to say?

Last edited:
Back