Synthetic Blends

CCI

Is there any advantage to a synthetic blend oil?

Is there any advantage to a synthetic blend oil?

I don’t know but it’s all I use in an HDEO 15/50 semi syn

Posters here have opined that the differences between conventional oils and synthetics are blurred since G-III synthetics are derived from conventional oils in the first place and that the specific qualities of each become increasingly indiscernible.

Still, some conventional oil mixed with synthetic (a blend) could/will perform better than 100% old style oil.
I've read here that additive packages can differ.

I've also heard of paying for a brand name and getting no benefit from it.

AFAIK, their is no industry standards for synthetic content in syn blend/partial syn oils. I doubt their is anything close to a 50/50 blend. Who knows, you may be getting a 10% syn/90% petroleum blend.

Many reports from Victory motorcycle owners having a slipping clutch with synthetic but not with a blend. I always use a blend in my Victory.

like kira said, these days the classification is very blurred thanks to marketing & conning descriptions.

Before that, synthetic blend or semi synthetic could have been anything between GII+ full synthetic to GIII+ sunthetic additives with all the permutations in between. Since I started riding (2003), I always used full synthetic.

Today, I find it difficult to know if fully synthetic labels are full GIV or GV or GIII which is highly refined with synthetic additives.

In my experience, synthetic oil is far superior in car or bikes than any "blend or semi".
You can get good bike dedicated full synthetic 15w50 from mobil, amsoil, shell, motul.

The condition of your engine will also play a part of the oil you choose

Yes, but that’s an easy one!!!!
It’s the only 15/50 diesel rated oil that I know of that is sold in the United States, even though 15/50 and 20/50 diesel is sold in other places all over the world I’m pretty sure/think.
My last fill on my Ram was Mystik 15w40 so hopeful for a good UOA.

Just my $0.02

I run Castrol Actevo in our bikes…it is a syn blend. I’m happy with its performance. I think it’s about $6/qt when I buy it by the gallon from Walmart.

Understanding synthetics means more refining to remove less desirable
elements from crude until what’s left is mostly higher-performing molecular
structures... Semi Synthetics are a cost cutting measure that is a blend of less
desirable elements with more desirable elements...

I do not recommend semi synthetic oils because the oil companies never disclose
the percentile of pure expense synthetic versus cheap mineral oil to answer the cost
effective question... For the 6.50 asking price I can always find excellent performing
100% synthetic like 5w30 M1 api SN...

full-45634-36928-syntheticmineral_oil2.png

full-45634-36931-synthetic_vs_mineraloil6.jpg

MineralOil1.jpg

Attachments

• SyntheticOil1.jpg
    SyntheticOil1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Understanding synthetics means more refining to remove less desirable
elements from crude until what’s left is mostly higher-performing molecular
structures... Semi Synthetics are a cost cutting measure that is a blend of less
desirable elements with more desirable elements...

I do not recommend semi synthetic oils because the oil companies never disclose
the percentile of pure expense synthetic versus cheap mineral oil to answer the cost
effective question... For the 6.50 asking price I can always find excellent performing
100% synthetic like 5w30 M1 api SN...

full-45634-36928-syntheticmineral_oil2.png

full-45634-36931-synthetic_vs_mineraloil6.jpg

View attachment 165184
Thank you.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked, but sometimes the SDS can give you a clue. IIRC Motorcraft was thought to be around 60% (although likely blended with Grp 1 😮) a few years ago, Maxlife 40% or so.

False economy though for most applications when 2 more bucks more will get you a full synthetic. And I don’t care what Ford thinks I’m not running a syn blend in a turbo.

I've always run synthetic in my bikes and changed it at 4-5K. In recent years I've been riding mostly Can Am's which come from factory with a Blend. Figured I might save a few $$ by running Castrol which is $6+ at Walmart, $3-4 cheaper per qt than Syn.III
Its in my new Can Am now as the first change. I have enough on hand for the next change when it hits 5K.
Not touting Castrol by any means but its readily avail at Wall Mart.

BusyLittleShop says he can find Syn for $6.50 but I haven't seen any prices like that for years. If I could I would run Syn also.
|

Since the real definition of "synthetic" is unknown or undetermined, syn-blend means unknown blend. :alien:

On top of that, iirc the term "syn-blend" is deprecated by bitog pros. Stores on the other hand, haven't received the memo. I see 5K miles syn-blend at store and then 10K miles and 20K miles Full synthetic on the upper shelves ... If you want to pay less, you have to work harder and bend to reach the lower shelf.

BusyLittleShop says he can find Syn for $6.50 but I haven't seen any prices like that for years. If I could I would run Syn also.

I just checked with my local Napa and your right prices are up by 0.49 cents so make that $6.99 for M1 5w30 SN...

If Walmart is handy here is their 100% synthetic 10w30 api SP is $19.95 for a 5 quart jug... virgin sample for comparison...

M1vGN4vSuperTech.jpg

Last edited:
Back