Switching to pink from green DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
3 gallons of distilled water is $6

No, it's not. Distilled water is 88 cents a gallon at good 'ole Walmart.

Wel I'm working thru the drain part, cycled 3 gallons of distilled water so my math has 94% clean..

I'm ready to decide on a full strength coolant, thinking Toyota Red..Honda's seems only available mixed.

I've found a distilled flush series (multiple distilled water d&f's) to be a fairly easy way and cost effective way to get the old AF out and then fill to 50% AF concentration. Done that Hondas and a Tacoma recently. Just do it until water runs mostly clear.

You are finding out/have found out why using a 50/50 premix is wasteful and not cost effective with a flush. Unfortunately Asian AF's are now predominately available as a premix. There is a rare concentrate that comes in quarts, but it is pricey.

Toyota Red is certainly an option. It has gotten pricey too though as Toyota has been superseding with the SLL pink. And it's not a Long Life coolant, ~2 years/30k recommended interval. Since you live in WI it seems there is no PepBoys, they now have a reasonably priced full strength Asian AF which seems to be a good option, even a color matched. Unfortunately no PB in WI.

One other choice would be Peak Global Lifetime full strength available through some NAPA's. It's cost effective and a long life/extended life AF. I'm using it in a Tacoma with no issues replacing Toyota Red.

But if Toyota AF is your choice, Toyota Red is a more cost effective option than the SLL pink with the flush you've already done.

I didn't realize Toyota red was 30k..going back in my records I just did a radiator fill with Prestone 50/50 125k ago so the balance (about half) was the factory fill 192k, the fluids looked pretty good considering and no visible solids.

Probably not a bad practice changing every 30k on a older system like this...or a radiator dump every year anyway...just want the same coolant to be available as needed.

just to be certain I flushed with a fourth gallon of distilled to achieve 97% clean, went with one gallon of the concentrate Toyota 'factory red fluid' $24.95 at the local Lexus parts counter.

All in all switching coolant formula went well, prior to a couple days ago I did not understand any of the chemical implications involved, thanks to all who helped me.

Last edited:
...Honda's seems only available mixed.

Honda does sell concentrate in quarts, they call it:

Honda Anti-Freeze/Coolant - Type 2 Extreme Cold Weather Concentrate

When I called the local dealer was told 50/50 was the only option so I was clearly misled, available in concentrated qts. or 50/50 gallons I would have used this had a knowledgeable person been on the phone.

b57360e1cdc01224eeb7ee6679dcd050_zps9d69728b.jpg

Changed my Accent from Zerex Asian back to OE Hyundai green (full strength). Cost me under $40 and a few hours.

Did a few distilled water D&F "flushes" until water was clear. Took me 5 cycles, about a 1.1 gallons per flush. Didn't need to pull the thermostat or any hoses.
I ran the engine at least 15 min or a few miles between each drain period, making sure to warm up and keep the heater circulating. Ramps help save a ton of time in this case.

What was it about Zerex Asian that you didn't like?
Originally Posted By: Rylan

Changed my Accent from Zerex Asian back to OE Hyundai green (full strength). Cost me under $40 and a few hours.

Did a few distilled water D&F "flushes" until water was clear. Took me 5 cycles, about a 1.1 gallons per flush. Didn't need to pull the thermostat or any hoses.
I ran the engine at least 15 min or a few miles between each drain period, making sure to warm up and keep the heater circulating. Ramps help save a ton of time in this case.

Last edited:
I'm not touching a hose, this is a old brittle situation..

If the hose is that bad, why not simply replace it? And if things are that old and brittle you're wasting money doing a coolant flush. Whatever is old and brittle will soon fail and dump your coolant investment onto the pavement.

spose, what to expect from Honda hoses? haven't had a hose go yet 192k..just thought if I started twisting and stressing on them that could weaken then eventually cause a failure, I'm on a anual radiator dump schedule now so..

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
What was it about Zerex Asian that you didn't like?

No problems with the Zerex, just needed a change after 3 years (and about 40K miles).

I prefer full strength vs pre-mix, so I went with a jug of OE Hyundai coolant.

190k on this Accord don't want to remove any hoses.

Might as well replace the top and bottom radiator hose at this mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back