Switching to M1 0w40

Any protocol to follow when switching to m1 like folks do when switching to a high detergent oil like HPL?

Should this be a shorter OCI?

Any protocol to follow when switching to m1 like folks do when switching to a high detergent oil like HPL?

Should this be a shorter OCI?
Make sure you burn wood in the circle for 2hrs, and turn toward Mecca to pray, at least 15 minutes before the oil change. After you change the oil, run it to the first church (orthodox will cut it too) to Baptise the car :)

What vehicle? What did you run before? Run normal OCI if you do not have any issues. If you think there is sludge etc. then maybe cut OCI to half the first time.

I just put 6 quarts in and a new filter. My only reason is curiosity. I rarely drink much Kool-Aid but I am curious as to what my filter will look like after a few hundred miles. I suspect it will look exactly like the filter it replaced (12k on Penz Ultra, but that's over 2 oil changes)

I don't plan on running full SAPS oil long term.

I didn't pray to Mecca, but I did eat some slaughtered cow as an offering that day.

Be careful if you do this to a 2.5L Camry that was "designed" to run on 0W-16. The super smart, pre programmed, electronic oil pump will sense you have the "wrong" oil in it, forcing the oil pump to shut down immediately, and the engine will seize in mere seconds!

When it gets towed to the dealer, the first thing the "Toyota Tech" will do is check the dipstick. If he even senses for a second after he rubs it between his fingers, that you have put thicker oil in it, the car will be impounded, and the police will be called!

You can think about it, but DON'T DO IT!

On a serious note....well, 3 serious notes, really.
1) It sure seems like many "angry shade-tree mechanics" run canister oil filters on until they stop turning. Use the "Contact + whatever fraction of a turn is suggested on the can". 3/4 to 1 full turn, usually. Oil the filter's gasket first.
2) If you've a plastic housing for element type filters, be mindful that you just need to shoulder it out not over-torque the plastic thing.
3) Consider using a torque wrench on the oil drain plug. Be that thoughtful person.

You'll thus enjoy an even higher status (see post #7)

I just put 6 quarts in and a new filter. My only reason is curiosity. I rarely drink much Kool-Aid but I am curious as to what my filter will look like after a few hundred miles. I suspect it will look exactly like the filter it replaced (12k on Penz Ultra, but that's over 2 oil changes)

I don't plan on running full SAPS oil long term.

I didn't pray to Mecca, but I did eat some slaughtered cow as an offering that day.
You didn’t pray and than you will come in few weeks and open topic: “why is my engine louder with Mobil1?”

On a serious note....well, 3 serious notes, really.
1) It sure seems like many "angry shade-tree mechanics" run canister oil filters on until they stop turning. Use the "Contact + whatever fraction of a turn is suggested on the can". 3/4 to 1 full turn, usually. Oil the filter's gasket first.
2) If you've a plastic housing for element type filters, be mindful that you just need to shoulder it out not over-torque the plastic thing.
3) Consider using a torque wrench on the oil drain plug. Be that thoughtful person.

You'll thus enjoy an even higher status (see post #7)
I used a 'speedy oil change joint' once and only once. The tech installed the drain plug with a torque wrench, The next time I changed my oil I had to use the longest breaker-bar I could find and all the strength I had to remove that plug~!!

89q8xn.jpg

Here are my 2 filters. The one without caps has 12k miles on it running PUP 5w-30.
The one with caps has ~875 miles while running Mobil FS 0w-40, the new one is many shades lighter than the the old one, the pic doesn't do justice.

No goo in the pleats. Oil is still quite light in color as seen on the paper towels the filter sits on.
Either the cleaning is not taking place, or the PUP 5w-30 hasn't left anything to be cleaned. Looks like both oils are great to me.

1703608391605.jpg

1703608500895.jpg

1703608592082.jpg

Here are my 2 filters. The one without caps has 12k miles on it running PUP 5w-30.
The one with caps has ~875 miles while running Mobil FS 0w-40, the new one is many shades lighter than the the old one, the pic doesn't do justice.

No goo in the pleats. Oil is still quite light in color as seen on the paper towels the filter sits on.
Either the cleaning is not taking place, or the PUP 5w-30 hasn't left anything to be cleaned. Looks like both oils are great to me.

View attachment 194914
View attachment 194915

View attachment 194919
You are comparing appearance between filters where one has almost 14x the mileage on it?

You are comparing appearance between filters where one has almost 14x the mileage on it?
No. Just showing the old filter for context. Only thing I care about is the appearance and potential gooey/chunky contents of the new filter - not that I think I'm going to get goo or chunks.

EDIT - and also, were my engine particularly dirty, I'd expect the oil and filter to be darker by now. No seeing that. Will look again in ~1000 miles.

Last edited:
Back