switching between 5 and 10w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've switched from castrol to mobil 1 just due to price locally. can I run a 5w30 M1 in the winter and switch to 10w30 in the summer? the car in question is a ;99 integra ls. The manual calls for either depending on temp.. Also the car sees the odd track day in the summer, and I've heard iffy things about M1 5w30 for anti wear. Thanks.

Yes you can use 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter. I wouldn't recommend M1 for our Integras, most UOA's I've seen with M1 in our engines showed higher iron. If I were you though, I'd just stick to 5W30 year round to make things simple. If you have any other Integra related questions feel free to send me a private message, I'm fairly knowledgeable on them.

I like 10w30, especially in synthetics. Less or no VII = more shear stable, higher film strength, lower Noack. A few of the recent discussions on straight weight oils can apply to 10w30 syns.

I think you have a good plan with the summer/winter use.

The only real diff between 5w and 10w is how fast it flows at start up. With only a diff of 5 (10w-5w) it isn't THAT big of a deal.
twocents.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. This site is amazing. I've switched from the off the shelf castrol syntec 5w30 to the mobil supersyn 5w30. ThirdeYe Thanks for the info, good to see another integra guy on here. I'm not sure what increased iron content means in terms of oil performance, you'll have to dumb it down a shade for me : )does it mean increased wear? From what I've seen mobil is average among syntheics in the four ball wear test, and better in other areas. Thanks. Ryan

Quote:

The only real diff between 5w and 10w is how fast it flows at start up. With only a diff of 5 (10w-5w) it isn't THAT big of a deal.
twocents.gif

This is a good classic example of how misleading these arbitrary 5w and 10w numbers are when it comes to the actual viscosity of the oil.

I don't see the point of switching back and forth, just stick with 5w30 all year round. If you're hearing "iffy things" about M1 5w30 in terms of antiwear, why even bother using M1 at all? Pick a different 5w30 synthetic and go with that one all year round.

Yeah youre right about that. I dont see the point anymore in 10w30 for my application, when 5w is the same price.

To answer your question, yes you can switch.

Corvette specs M1 5w30 for all applications including racing. It amazes me to hear about 'these bad things' pertaining to M1. About 75% of NASCAR is running it.

On my '97 Chevy Tahoe 5.7L start-up drivability was improved slightly using 5W30 over 10W30. It was a soccer mom's truck seeing lots of start&go so this was important.

Well technically you can, because Mobil paid Chevrolet for that placement, it's just a sponsorship. I'm sure many other oils would work fine in a Corvette. Mobil 1 is really nothing special. It's not going to destroy your car, I just think there's much better out there, and for less. It's a lot like Fram filters, they're not bad and won't destroy your car, there's just better out there. They're overhyped and overmarketed.

Quote:

If you're hearing "iffy things" about M1 5w30 in terms of antiwear, why even bother using M1 at all?

Those "iffy things" are probably coming from me because I compile everyone's complaints about M1 5W-30 and then rebroadcast those in a concentrated form.
grin.gif

Quote:

Well technically you can, because Mobil paid Chevrolet for that placement, it's just a sponsorship. I'm sure many other oils would work fine in a Corvette. Mobil 1 is really nothing special. It's not going to destroy your car, I just think there's much better out there, and for less. It's a lot like Fram filters, they're not bad and won't destroy your car, there's just better out there. They're overhyped and overmarketed.

Good analogy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back