Switched from 0w-20 to 0w-30 - No change in MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever grade oil, however my driving habits are, whether it is freeway or city driving, whether the AC is on or off...

Whether whatever...

I always get 18mpg.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Whatever grade oil, however my driving habits are, whether it is freeway or city driving, whether the AC is on or off...
Whether whatever... I always get 18mpg.
Thank you for typing in here... Then what grades and oci for each grade have you been using?

Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: blackman777
Well in any case I didn't see any MPG drop from 0w-20 to the thicker 0w-30.
And now Ive switched to 5w-30 and still don't notice any change. My next oil will be 0w-40 so maybe I'll see an MPG drop then (doubt it).

I have measured a definite difference running 0W-40 in my Lexus V8 vs 0W-30 and 0W-20 in the same vehicle. The vehicle felt lethargic with the heavier oil and felt so free reving with the 20 weight. I could never go back to a 40 weight.

I noticed the same thing going thinner in my vehicles.
I'm back to a 20 grade in the charger. -30something today and it started pretty easy. Since I don't beat on the car often I'm gonna stick with a 20 in this car,unless I'm pounding on it then I'll ad a couple quarts of redline I've got in stock.

I tried a bunch of oils in a Mazda 3 I used to have. I couldn't tell a MPG difference between M1 0w20 or Rotella T5 10w30. This was on my work commute about 45 miles each way, mostly interstate.

Not until I poured in some Rotella T6 5w40 that I started to see a repeatable lowering of my MPG. It was around 1 or 2 mpg below my normal 30ish average. Engine was slower to rev too.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Whether whatever... I always get 18mpg.
Thank you for typing in here... Then what grades and oci for each grade have you been using?

I change my oil on a fleet schedule of 6 months conv or 1 year synthetic. I typically drive 9k a year.

I've ran 5w20 up to 15w40. I stick to 5w30 now.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Well in any case I didn't see any MPG drop from 0w-20 to the thicker 0w-30.
And now Ive switched to 5w-30 and still don't notice any change. My next oil will be 0w-40 so maybe I'll see an MPG drop then (doubt it).

I doubt it too. I went from 0W-20 to 0W-40 M1 in my 2008 Element and haven't experienced any increased fuel consumption. Same with my 2014 Wrangler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back