Swap engine/engine rebuild vs. just fix the oil leak

If this was 5 years ago, this would be an easy answer. Replace the vehicle. But unfortunately, things really changed in the vehicle market since then. The vehicle is a 2009 Ford E-150 Cargo Van 4.6 v8 with 246,000 miles on it. A few years ago, an oil leak developed and got it checked out thinking it would be a small job. Unfortunately, it turned out that the oil is leaking out the head gasket. Big job. So we decided we could live with till we get the vehicle replaced. At the same time the supply chain only worsened. But now here we are and I am feed up with the oil leak. So hear the question? With the mileage on the vehicle, shall I just fix the leak? You figure that engine is stone reliable and would last me another 250,000 miles or it is that many miles do an engine swap or rebuild?

To me if you have kept up with the maintenance I would definitely repair it. I have 2 vehicles right now with over 200K on them but they have all had regular maintenance.
Do a full engine rebuild/swap or just repair the leak is the question. The repair requires taking a whole engine head off.

Head gasket is a lot easier than engine swap. Cheaper as well. This runs OK, right? No other problems?

Then, I would fix only what's broke - keep driving it.

The bottom line is I don’t want to do the head gasket now and then have to do a engine rebuild later on.

Probably better just to fix it. I know head gaskets aren't normally wear items (except on Subaru's) but at 246K needing one is not so bad especially if you can DIY, which you can if you have another vehicle to drive for a while so that you can take your time and do it right.

Does the engine really have to come out of the vehicle to do a head gasket???

I think if you have been diligent with oils changes and maintenance in general, I would be more inclined to fix the oil leak and keep on driving. Engines seem to last a long time if cared for. Engine overhauls always seem to have surprises that cost more money than expected. I don’t like what I’ve seen from the engine remanufacturers .

the only engine i would put in a car is one out of the same vehicle that ran recently and was crashed or put out of service for a non engine related issue. a well maintained engine is better than the dubious quality used engines from eBay or a junkyard, and if you're getting a reman i would get it done locally so you can go complain to someone if it blows up.

@NH, I am in the process of replacing the head gasket on 2013 Dodge Dart. Not by comparison, but I would tell you that if you have to indeed pull the engine to do the headgasket then I would rebuild it while it is out, assuming that the rest of the vehicle is in good shape. Get an estimate cost on pistons, rings, and bearings. If the engine has been well taken care of you can probably reuse your connecting rods and crank. Don't forget also to get an estimate on the gasket kit cost too.

Bottomline is that you only have to please yourself. If you like the vehicle, and you have taken care of it and rust is not an issue, and other drive line components are Ok then it may pay you to do the rebuild. Is transmission ok as a serviceable unit?

Are you doing the work ? Or are you paying to have it done ? How’s the rest of the van, Body in good shape ? The fluids in Trans and rear end have been serviced also .

Last edited:
I'd have a pro check the compression - assuming the oil leak in the head gasket doesn't interfere with the results. IF the compression checks out okay, then consider having the oil pan removed and pull a couple of crank journals out for inspection. This gives you a good chance to see inside the pan, clean it out, and insight to the general condition of the bearings.

All this would tell you if the head gaskets were all you need to do now, or if you should do more?

I’d lean toward doing a rebuild of your engine. It would be nice to just swap in a reman engine, but I’ve heard too many horror stories about poor quality.

Are you doing the work ? Or are you paying to have it done ? How’s the rest of the van, Body in good shape ? The fluids in Trans and rear end have been serviced also .
No, it is a work vehicle and the boss will pay someone to do it. It is rusting at the bottom and considering getting a body shop to fix it. Like I said, if a new one or another was easily available, I wouldn’t be here asking this question. But that isn’t the case. So I at the point where I have 3 options, keep the van going at a minimum and let it go down hill, pay outrageous to get it back into good shape or pay outrageous for another one.

I would say it depends on what the book time is for pulling the engine, if in fact the engine has to come out. If it's 8 hours book time for just pulling the engine, and then you add the book time for doing the repairs at a $100 an hour shop time, that adds up quick. I'm thinking the engine would have to be in almost perfect condition to pay all that money on labor and not replace it.

No, it is a work vehicle and the boss will pay someone to do it. It is rusting at the bottom and considering getting a body shop to fix it. Like I said, if a new one or another was easily available, I wouldn’t be here asking this question. But that isn’t the case. So I at the point where I have 3 options, keep the van going at a minimum and let it go down hill, pay outrageous to get it back into good shape or pay outrageous for another one.
Oh well that changes a lot then. If it were me , I would do the reman. It’s going to have to come out for the head gasket anyways and you get a warranty. Also consider servicing the trans and rear end .

Back