Supertech vs Mobil1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperTech oil filters are made by Champion Labs, NOT AC. Champion Labs is also a supplier to GM for AC oil filters. (GM's no longer in the filter-making business.) K&N oil filters are also produced by Champion Labs. So are American Bosch oil filters. So are Mobil 1 oil filters. Just wanted you to know, PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH, so you don't inadvertently end up with an advanced e-core design filter.
wink.gif

Where are WD brand oils sold (other then SuperTech), I've never seen this stuff anywhere.

quote:

Originally posted by BigAl:
It's a pretty good Group III based oil, quality probably somewhere between the blends and M1, and priced lower than most blends ($12 for 5 qts.) I wouldn't be afraid to use it. It is ACEA rated. Where I live it is made by Warren Distribution.

Here is a link to their own brand of synthetic, but the stuff at WalMart meets the newer SM/GF-4. The Warren page is probably just not up to date. ST syn is probably similar to the latest Warren/Mag1 full synthetic.

Mag1 Synthetic

If your bottles look like the one in the picture and have a code starting with a "W" then you have the Warren Distribution oil. In some parts of the country it might be made by someone else.

quote:

Originally posted by thunderchild:
Another question for you all who are very knowledgable about these things. I am using Amsoil filters. The SDF-15 to be exact. At around $12.00 a pop I am looking to buy something that is cheaper but works well with my 5000 mile OCI's. Does the Super Tech filter fill this bill or what would you recommend for me? To reiterate, I am driving a 2003 Dodge Durango with the 4.7 liter motor. 51,000 miles as of yesterday. Thanks in advance.

Try the Purolator Pure One. The best for the money if you ask me. I have a 01 blazer 2wd but I buy the larger filter thats recommended for the 4wd.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
One thing though, the Amsoil filters are good for 12500 miles in gas engines and 7000 miles in diesels. If you use another brand you have to change per the mfg. recommendations.

A great majority of the common replacement filters are not designed for extended oil change intervals, they olny thing in the 3000 miles 3 months terms.

Very few folks go 12K on an oil change... most are closer to 3 than 12. Standard filters like AC, Motorcraft & Purolator are fine to around 8K... depending on engine care -- some longer - some shorter.

One thing though, the Amsoil filters are good for 12500 miles in gas engines and 7000 miles in diesels. If you use another brand you have to change per the mfg. recommendations.

A great majority of the common replacement filters are not designed for extended oil change intervals, they olny thing in the 3000 miles 3 months terms.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by pbm:
One problem I find with ST synthetic is availability. Right now my local WM has the 10w30
available but not 5w30. I'm not even sure they are making 5w30 anymore. It is a hit or miss thing when you go to WM looking for ST syn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I visited the local Walmart this morning. ST synthetic was only available in 10w30. There was not a label for the 5w30, so I assume it is not available here in Cincinnati.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

The most of aftermarket filters will easily last 10K miles.
There is nothing special about the Amsoil oil filters, except the price of course.
wink.gif

Latest ST Synth is only 10w-30. A3-rated. I used this oil and it runs pretty nice. HM additives. Only one grade, a 10w-30 that easily substitutes for a 5w-30 dino. One grade also makes for more streamlined supply chain, cost/effective. Someone did their homework designing this oil.

I've been lurking here for over a year now, and one thing I've learned, is that no matter how much money you spend for oil there is no "magic bullet" that's going to be perfect for everyone. Heck, I haven't even found the oil that's going to be perfect for me.
banghead.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back