Supertech filters: any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
19.gif
This was or is the strangest thread even if its about oil and filters, just me I guess, but a weird underlying current IMHO.

Originally Posted By: steve20
does that mean you had about 80 bucks/month for food before? seriously

Steve

Before, I didn't have to worry about how much I spent on food.

But, I probably only spent about $60 to $75 a month.

I don't eat very much. I'm not very big, and I intend to stay that way.

Originally Posted By: Lightsilver

The nearest Advanced Auto Parts store to me is a 30 mile round trip. I would have to buy a lot of stuff to justify driving that far.

A $33 oil change is far from a 'good deal' for me, when I can do it my self for so much less, using dino oil.

I can't remember the amount that needs to be spent, but they do offer free shipping on larger orders. It may cost you a lot upfront, but if you can get a couple of your buddies in on it, it might be worth it.

Also, saying that a $33/oil change will save you money is based on the assumption that you would be taking the better, more expensive oil and filter out to an extended interval. My gf drives around 15kmi/year and used to change her oil at the quicky lube every 3kmi. Now that we'll be doing annual changes with Edge, she'll be saving a lot of time and money.

I guess that savings isn't entirely accurate, since I would have gotten her off of the 3kmi intervals using dino anyway. FWIW, I would would have changed her oil every 5kmi if I'd opted for AAP's $17.99 Castrol GTX + Purolator Classic filter. Edge doesn't cost double, but I'm comfortable going more than twice the distance on it. Every one has their own threshold for pain, though.

Last edited:
Cheaper than Fram and work great! Cant beat it. Id rather get a motorcraft but they dont carry my size. But the fact that most of us get our oil from walmart you cant be the one stop shopping of a decent ST filter. Id avoid the ecore ones if possible. Ive been using them on my cars year round for years. Except for my del sol, thats my baby, ill spend money on her.

Last edited:

I did try the search function.I either got no hits at all, or so many, it was impossible to sort through them.

If you did even a basic search, the info would have already been covered. No info or to much info is weak sauce for an excuse.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

I did try the search function.I either got no hits at all, or so many, it was impossible to sort through them.

If you did even a basic search, the info would have already been covered. No info or to much info is weak sauce for an excuse.

OT Unfortunately because of an absurd price increase from Google, the Google search box has recently been dropped. The in house search is fairly useless, to put it very kindly. I started this thread regarding the change.

Quattro Pete posted this : Direct link to google search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:bobistheoilguy.com

Do not remove the "site:bobistheoilguy.com" from the search bar. Just type your search key words right after it or before it.

There is also the idea of using Google advanced search button and using bobistheoilguy.com in the search site or domain box.

Hope that helps in the OP future.

All that said, even with the much better Google search box, there were still lots of redundant thread starters even from experienced posters. I can see the OP's point on this one though.

Supertec are decent filters. My 07 altima didn't like em much at start up, but seem to be fine otherwise. They are a great value.

Everyone seems afraid of the E core design just cuz it's different. Read about them here: http://www.champlabs.com/content/oil-filters

If there were concerns, AC/Delco would not be using this filter. Check out a PF61E next time you are at Walmart. Same filter as a SuperTec. Some say the AC/Delco has better/more media, but I have not seen the proof.

Modern GM cars employ an Oil Life Monitor system. If you drive in mixed conditions (city/hiway), it may not call for an oil filter change until 8,000. Now why would they do that if the filter (most likely identically simliar to SuperTec) if the filter was only good for 3 to 5K miles.

I have also read engineering reports that a filter actually filters better the longer it is in the car (to a point of course). I think most filters useful life is somewhere around 15k miles, depending on application of course.

So, have no fear, the SuperTec is fine. The air filter is more important anyway...

Originally Posted By: cafasco
Supertec are decent filters. My 07 altima didn't like em much at start up, but seem to be fine otherwise. They are a great value.

Everyone seems afraid of the E core design just cuz it's different. Read about them here: http://www.champlabs.com/content/oil-filters

The fact that they're different is of little concern to me.

However, this and this are of great concern to me.

Simply put, I wouldn't use one, ever, unless there were no other filter available. It's easy to write these off as isolated instances, but several e-core filters show a thinning of the media around the nylon rib, suggesting it's a design flaw more than a defect in materials. Needless to say, most people don't cut their filters open, so no one has any idea how many of these have actually failed in the field. It seems to me to be a poorly designed product, with better alternatives available at a similar price. No thanks.

I saw these as WalMart, right next to the Fram filter...except they cost even less.

There is a cutout picture on the side of the box, and it shows a metal cap for the filter media, not cardboard; so that gives it one better feature than the Fram filters.

They are black; which I don't care for: it would make it hard to see a leak, if there was one.

Anyways, since my income went down 45% from 2009 to 2010, I'm always looking for a way to save some money.

If these aren't any good, I'd sure like to know what IS a good, inexpensive brand...and WHERE to buy them, too.

Thanks, guys.

What are you driving? Supertech filters have been doing great for my needs.

Originally Posted By: 4Kings
I see you're in the Midwest, do you have a Menards close by. If so they sell Quaker State oil filters which are a Purolator classic clone. I noticed yesterday that they are on sale again for $1.99. Good price for a good filter.

I recall reading somewhere on the forums here that QS filters are now made by Honeywell(?), the same one who makes Fram. I considered getting a QS filter but since I read they are made by Honeywell, I went with STP instead (not sure if that was a good alternative, but it was free with AZ's QS special).

'Perhaps' the older QS filters were made by Fram, but now they made by Purolator. Many pics of them have been posted here by members, seem to be a very good economy priced filter.

STP same as Super Tech and made by Champ Lab, majority are ecore with the < 3" dia., the classic (non ecore) design.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I don't think that SuperTech filters have ever been mentioned in this forum before. Therefore, the search function would be useless...

Please try to FIND the information that's ALREADY OUT THERE before posting.

There are about a million other posts on this forum that you haven't said this to...

I'm using Supertech for short runs,during engine cleaning. They are fine,regural cardboard. I recently discovered that I can get Mann and Mahle, even bosch for under $3 and under $4 for Bosch, from Rock auto website. Check it out,makes sense to buy more than one due delivery charges.Plus there is Bosch rebate for $2 each filter, and you should be able to google %5 discount code for this website.

Last edited:
I saw the same filters too. I opened the box and noticed that the center reinforcement tube was plastic. Much worse than Fram. Fram is cheap, but those Super Tech filters are rediculous.
I saw these as WalMart, right next to the Fram filter...except they cost even less.

There is a cutout picture on the side of the box, and it shows a metal cap for the filter media, not cardboard; so that gives it one better feature than the Fram filters.

They are black; which I don't care for: it would make it hard to see a leak, if there was one.

Anyways, since my income went down 45% from 2009 to 2010, I'm always looking for a way to save some money.

If these aren't any good, I'd sure like to know what IS a good, inexpensive brand...and WHERE to buy them, too.

Thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back