SuperTech--5M OIC--a stupid way to save a few $?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mazda protege 50,000 miles, driven mostly gently on the
highway and have been doing Pennzoil 5-30 synthetic 5,000 changes

Do you think Super Tech is an adequate filter or should I move up?

Advise welcome!

thanks
John

champion makes st and from what i know it is a very good filter...i think you are wasting money on 5k oci, go at least 8-9k with the synthetic

I don't have any problem running ST in any of my vehicles and as a matter of fact, am running ST full syn 5w30 in our 2005 Saturn w/the 3.0L v6 right now. I'm going to run it out for 5k miles too!

Also, I use ST dexron in my 2002 Envoy's 4L60e trans since about 60k miles. Change it every 15-20k miles and now have 109000 miles. Shifts great, even when I tow...

Bottom line is there is nothing wrong with ST. Its no Mobil 1, but for the price, you cannot go wrong.

I am debating between buying Bulk 10 OEM Toyota filters for $40 shipped on ebay...or just picking up the ST filters at wal mart for $2.75 a pop

this is going with 5k OCI as well...nothing more

Cheap is fine for 5k. If the 5k is under/around 6 months ..then you can opt for a more expensive filter and use it for two OCI. It's not like leaving dirty underwear on.

I agree with the others^^^...a SuperTech filter should be fine for 3-5k. If you're contemplating going longer, as you certainly could given your driving conditions, I would step up to a WIX/NAPA Gold/Carquest Blue or something along that line...

Originally Posted By: Snowflaque

Advise welcome!
thanks
John

Do what I have done. Move up to the NAPA ProSelect. A full sized filter, a coiled by-pass spring, metal end caps $.25 cents cheaper per filter when comparing my local Wal-Mart price verses my local NAPA price. Plus, I don't have to walk a quarter of a mile to get to the filter section and I don't have to wait ten minutes in line or look for the "10 item or less" aisle.
If you feel that you HAVE to patronize your local Wal-Mart, buy your oil there.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Do what I have done. Move up to the NAPA ProSelect. A full sized filter, a coiled by-pass spring, metal end caps $.25 cents cheaper per filter when comparing my local Wal-Mart price verses my local NAPA price.

My local NAPA is a PITA and they seem to hate helping non-commercial accounts. I'd rather get a larger 7317 filter from Walmart then listen to the NAPA guys gripe about my car not being in their books.

My Napa has always been really decent with me, but I know the locations and policies might vary from store to store.

I use the ProSelect on most of the cars I maintain now because I'd rather support them than Wal-Mart. Their 1040 filters that I use for a Daewoo and Chevy are under $3 if I remember right. I only use the SuperTech on one application now -- a '99 Kia Sephia, they want over $5 for a ProSelect for it and since I'm only getting paid a certain amount, not what I pay for the parts, I just go with what's cheapest for me. Plus, the last time I was at my local Wal-Mart they got rude with me about recycling oil filters when it says they take up to 5 oil filters per visit (corporate policy I believe), and he didn't want to take them. He tried telling me the big bin outside RIGHT NEXT to the used oil bin that says "Used Oil Filters" was for their lube center only. Even though I've never had a problem recycling filters there before. Plus I've also learned that there are better alternatives out there, like the ProLine from Pep Boys, and the Napa ProSelect (depending on the application, some can be pricy like the one for the Kia/Nissan). I think next time around I'll see how much Pep Boys charges for their ProLine for his car and see if I can get away from Wal-Mart completely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snowflaque
I have a Mazda protege 50,000 miles, driven mostly gently on the
highway and have been doing Pennzoil 5-30 synthetic 5,000 changes

Advise welcome!

thanks

John

It's a great filter. It's made by Champion Labs. I live by them!

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
My local NAPA is a PITA and they seem to hate helping non-commercial accounts. I'd rather get a larger 7317 filter from Walmart then listen to the NAPA guys gripe about my car not being in their books.

Similar experience at my local NAPA here.

Back to SuperTech, their oil filters are a great economy filter. Unfortunately, many sprawl-mart stores have stopped carrying them in favor of the orange can.

I have 8k miles on my supertech filter on my 06 vibe right now. 10k oci planned with UOA. maybe I'll take photos. ha!

I cut open a ST6607 today that was in use for a little under 3 months, with 4,900 miles on it or so. It didn't look as good as I hoped. Tiny amount of media, and the pleats were all bent, hard and brittle. No sludge from what I saw, the oil wasn't black or anything, just a dark brown. I didn't see any tears or openings in the media, just the odd bent pleats with the weird spacing. I took pictures of it and I'll post them when I get home and recharge my batteries in my camera.

pennzoil syn on the highway will get you 7.5K easily if not further.

the supertech will get you there as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back