Summer Travel in a Pickup Truck - Cooler Placement?

Thanks for the feedback - looks like I may need to look into some better coolers.
I remembered that ATK had done a test of coolers a while back. They are a very reputable cooking and cooking tool show. While an older show, you may get some good ideas here.

And here's another video ...

I agree better coolers.

Also, what cover do you have? I also have a Bakflip - like @spasm3 - and it doesn't get that much hotter in the bed than ambient - maybe 10 degrees more than ambient even though its black. I would think that's better than having the coolers in the sun actually.

I agree better coolers.

Also, what cover do you have? I also have a Bakflip - like @spasm3 - and it doesn't get that much hotter in the bed than ambient - maybe 10 degrees more than ambient even though its black. I would think that's better than having the coolers in the sun actually.
Bakflip MX4

You're itching for another new vehicle. ;) Minivan time, you know you want one.

No help here, in NH I have to deal with "hot" weather for like 3 months of the year, the rest of the year I have the heat on.
Got both, and 4 kids…. Both are equally annoying in this situation, and I cannot wait to ditch that van for a Yukon XL/Suburban/Escalade ESV. Even my small yeti cooler doesn’t fit very well behind the 3rd row of the van, and it takes up a huge amount of the available space. Or it goes between seats but then the older 2 struggle getting in and out of the thing at all. I could stack stuff behind the third row, but then it’s at a very high risk of falling out when you open the hatch…. Just can’t win.

For @The Critic, definitely better coolers. Yeti’s are expensive and I would have never bought one for myself (got it as a gift) but man will they hold ice FOREVER, even baking in the sun all day or in the back of my truck. Thoroughly impressed by my small yeti.

My back flip allows you to leave the last (closest to the cab) section down and the others folded up on top of it. That makes reaching anything up against the front of the cab difficult and still allows airflow into the bed to keep the temps down. Maybe that and a cable lock is enough to work. Unless bikes, kayaks or the trailer is travelling with us, we take the minivan. For people transport, it can't be beat.

1689239007660.jpg

1689239270647.jpg

Back