Summer Travel in a Pickup Truck - Cooler Placement?

My truck has a tri-fold tonneau cover. During the summer months, the inside of the bed becomes an oven. As a result, the coolers become space hogs inside the cab.

Is there a better solution? To me, this is a perfect example of why trucks are lousy family vehicles - lack of climate controlled storage.

/end rant

Attachments

• IMG_4492.jpeg
    IMG_4492.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 56
Take off the cover and tailgate. Put a net across the back. Your mileage will go down a bit but you will get great airflow over everything in the bed.

Take off the cover and tailgate. Put a net across the back. Your mileage will go down a bit but you will get great airflow over everything in the bed.
Security issue when making stops - don’t want belongings getting stolen.

My truck has a tri-fold tonneau cover. During the summer months, the inside of the bed becomes an oven. As a result, the coolers become space hogs inside the cab.

Is there a better solution? To me, this is a perfect example of why trucks are lousy family vehicles - lack of climate controlled storage.

/end rant
Can you use an electric cooler in the bed?

My coolers have a hasp on them. I would put a padlock on and run a braided steel cable through them and then through a welded eye on the bed of the truck. Never had a theft problem.

My coolers have a hasp on them. I would put a padlock on and run a braided steel cable through them and then through a welded eye on the bed of the truck. Never had a theft problem.
And what of other items in the bed?

/end rant
I'm going to suggest better coolers. Those coolers look like they are good for a few hours.
A better cooler should hold up in your pickup bed.
I have the backflip cover. Some times going down the road, I leave the last panel up an inch and not snapped all the way closed. Just have to remember to close it for security when you stop.

I have the older style Ozark trail coolers from Walmart. With already chilled drinks it will go a weekend filled with ice, with out adding.

Maybe one larger cooler rather than 2 smaller ones?
I have a 26quart and I think it's a 50 quart. I leave outside when I camp with drinks , water milk during the summer.
The larger Ozark cooler has a drain, small and large drain.

IMG_20230708_211929192.jpg
IMG_20230708_211936016.jpg
IMG_20230708_212048151.jpg
IMG_20230708_212102222.jpg

You're itching for another new vehicle. ;) Minivan time, you know you want one.

No help here, in NH I have to deal with "hot" weather for like 3 months of the year, the rest of the year I have the heat on.

Ive had the luxury of my workplace providing me big trucks and farm tractors to feed my testosterone levels.

For the more important part of my life, the unsurpassed functionality of a mini van could not be beat over the span of about 25 years. Camping, lumber hauling, kid hauling, livestock hauling, "van-a-rockin", ease of access, .................whew!, too many pros to list!
1688868551969.png

@supton, smart minds think alike.

Last edited:
The last pickup I ever owned was sold for an SUV because of similar annoyances… coolers didn’t stay cold on trips, ice cream melted on the way home from the store, etc. And half the available space (the bed) cannot be used for carrying people… I’ll likely never own another one again.

I've had a rotomolded ice chest hold ice for 5 days in the back of a truck. yes, a cheap ice chest is only good for a day. get a good ice chest, pre chill the ice chest and everything you put in it and it will last long enough.

Back