Submarines

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a nuke sub, no air needed for reactor. But a electrical current is sent through water to seperation the hydrogen and oxygen.

I was "Qualified" on 3 subs. One fleet boat (diesel electric) and two Nukes, a fast attack and a boomer, plank owner on one.

SS417
SSN604
SSBN633

SS417...

You are old....
smile.gif

Guy I work with here was on SS582

Are you a member of USSVI? Our chapter has 2 WWII vets left. Their stories are awesome. Both of them are retired Navy. One was on Diesel boats (DBF!), not one nuke boat the other one's last boat was a Nuke boat. We have a member who did the around the world cruise on the Triton. Living history right there.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Just for those interested, here is a list of some of the better movies about, or at least prominently featuring, submarines.

You missed one:
MV5BMjE2ODAzMDQxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTYxOTk5._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Blaze
I want a sub with caterpillar drives like Hunt for the Red October.
Ducted props were tried and were in fact subject to low frequency "standing wave' noise. Like the sound which results when you bang your palm over a long section of pipe.

Ahh but if you remember it wasn't a prop. It had no moving parts.

It was magnetic drive, based on what I can remember being eddy currents to push the water out.
I think that was from Clancy's brain. The system the Russians actually tried used an impeller.

I was a Navy Corpsman in the 60's and while training at Balboa Hospital in San Diego we admitted a then retiring Torpedoman that served 44 years on active duty. He had 11 gold good service stripes on his dress uniform and served on 9 combat patrols in WWII in the Pacific.

Hey guys. 23 years Navy retired Senior Chief, all on Subs. The 6L16 O2 generators (and the newer class OGP's) use DI Water for electrolysis. Seawater gets nowhere near the bombs.

Forgot to add, all subs have the Oxygen candles somebody spoke of earlier. The newer Virginia class subs do NOT have O2 banks.

If you guys have any other Sub questions, I will be happy to answer any I can. Unless it's classified, then I would have to..........:)

Last edited:
Polar Bear tries to eat USS Connecticut's rudder...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Connecticut_(SSN-22)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Originally Posted By: Blaze
I want a sub with caterpillar drives like Hunt for the Red October.
Ducted props were tried and were in fact subject to low frequency "standing wave' noise. Like the sound which results when you bang your palm over a long section of pipe.

Ahh but if you remember it wasn't a prop. It had no moving parts.

It was magnetic drive, based on what I can remember being eddy currents to push the water out.
I think that was from Clancy's brain. The system the Russians actually tried used an impeller.

Nope.

It was from the brains of many theoretical physicists. From Wikipedia:

A magnetohydrodynamic drive or MHD propulsor is a method for propelling seagoing vessels using only electric and magnetic fields with no moving parts, using magnetohydrodynamics. The working principle involves electrification of the propellant (gas or water) which can then be directed by a magnetic field, pushing the vehicle in the opposite direction. Although some working prototypes exist, MHD drives remain impractical.

The first prototype of this kind of propulsion was built and tested in 1965 by Steward Way, a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Way, on leave from his job at Westinghouse Electric, assigned his senior year undergraduate students to develop a submarine with this new propulsion system.[29] In early 1990s, Mitsubishi built a boat, the 'Yamato,' which uses a magnetohydrodynamic drive, is driven by a liquid helium-cooled superconductor, and can travel at 15 km/h. [30]

Russia has a great many excellent physicists and engineers.

Not too hard to extrapolate the successful development of MHD for a sub....20 years after it was demonstrated at UCSB....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I was a plank owner on Connecticut (SSN-22.) I transferred right before that Ice-X.

Who was your ANAV?

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I was a plank owner on Connecticut (SSN-22.) I transferred right before that Ice-X.

Who was your ANAV?

Hmmmm, can't remember (I think ETC Russak got there as I was leaving.) I do remember the COB (Steve Juskiwez - spelled wrong I'm sure) was helping out because I think they didn't have one (had a hot fill opened.) I left in 2001. I was in A-Div, my Chief was Chief Sargent at the time (Tim Monjay before that.) Were you there?

Last edited:
Stig The Massachusetts, the sub,and a destroyer are berthed in Fall River. I can see them from the bdlg dept on the 5th fl of the town hall.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Who was your ANAV?

Hmmmm, can't remember (I think ETC Russak got there as I was leaving.) I do remember the COB (Steve Juskiwez - spelled wrong I'm sure) was helping out because I think they didn't have one (had a hot fill opened.) I left in 2001. I was in A-Div, my Chief was Chief Sargent at the time (Tim Monjay before that.) Were you there?

No I but I knew some guys on that boat...Mostly Radiomen and Navets...cones...I was at TTF in 01

Sure is! I don't think some of the folks on here get my bubblehead sense of humor. It is good to know there are few more.

Nick Cushing got there after you left. He was A-Nav for awhile. Are you an A-ganger?

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Standard Enigma used three rotors for encryption.
Naval Enigma used four rotors for encryption, called "Shark"

The three rotor system was broken in the 1930's...

To break Naval Enigma, a machine was needed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-110_(1940)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-559

That implies that the British recovered the encryption device, not the Americans as depicted in the movie
33.gif

I would be somewhat ticked off if it were one of my relatives that lost there life and were awarded medals, only to have someone from another country make a movie where they take the glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back