Subie WRX or STi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, for those who don't know, the STI isn't simply a trim level above the WRX. It is a completely different vehicle, with regard to driving dynamics and road feel. Even though they share the same exterior aesthetics, it's tough to confuse one for another, even after a very short drive. That's both a good and/or bad thing, depending on your needs, and as briefly described in my post above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
WRX Limited 5dr ordered. Satin Pearl.

Estimated January 2014 delivery.

NICE! Excellent choice! I didn't see this thread until after you made your decision but if I had, I would've put my 2c in to say that the WRX on its own is plenty satisfying and IMO the extra $$ for the STI is not necessarily worth it for a daily driver unless, like gathermewool, the circumstances of the purchase are considerably different from "normal".

Great color, too.

I would recommend you get the STI short throw shifter option (port installed IIRC) if you can!

Originally Posted By: dparm
If you don't get the STI, you will always be subconsciously saying "I should've gotten the STI". In other words: go big or go home (assuming you can afford to do so).

I think this is true of some vehicles, but I can honestly say that since I bought my WRX (a 2011 5 door) I have not once regretted not getting the STI. My car is a daily driver, not a track car, which is an important consideration here (since as has been mentioned the STI has beefier transmission and suspension). When I was deciding what the buy, the following were points for the WRX over the STI (which may or may not apply in any given situation):

- STI requires 93 octane for full power, which I can't get around here anyway.
- WRX has 17" wheels with slightly taller sidewalls making slightly better ride and durability as well as lower cost tires (although not sure how much .. I may be wrong on the cost).
- 5 speed transmission is just fine and IMO shifts really nicely with good gear spacing.
- It's a little lighter weight.
- Intercooler shape means the transmission dipstick is more accessible. Does the STI even have a dipstick on the trans? (LOL! This one is kind of a joke. Kind of.).
- I'm not in an area with "weather" so the DCCD isn't really an asset, although the rear bias and LSDs are nice.
- The suspension tuning is actually pretty nice. Stiff enough but not painful in real world driving. I honestly don't think the WRX rides any worse than most other compacts.

The WRX pulls plenty hard and the 50/50 torque split simple, mechanical AWD setup does mean that adding throttle around turns feels good, despite the front-heavy (understeer prone) Subaru drivetrain layout.

I've been very happy with my WRX. I think it's a great mix of performance and practicality, is enjoyable to own, and it's rough and "pedestrian" enough that I don't feel bad about putting the miles on it, getting it dirty, or any of that (in other words: driving and enjoying it). Just a great package overall.

Oh, and oil changes are pretty easy too!

Last edited:
Congrats!! I didn't realize they stopped putting a rear LSD in the stock WRXs. Was this around the time they started adding stability control etc?

No trans dipstick on the STI, at least not in '08
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
frown.gif

Why would you even want an AT in this car?

I'm actually kinda of excited now. Might at some port add ons.

Is the exhaust system worth it or is there a better aftermarket?

frown.gif

MT trans dip stick. The only way to tell whether you're full on the 6MT is to fill and wait for it to dribble out of the fill hole.

The SPT exhaust is a decent exhaust, but may not be worth the port-installed price, IMO. At low speeds, say while crawling through traffic, and at certain RPM's and loads it will have a deep, loud resonance. To be honest, I like how our exhausts sound stock.

It might makes sense to buy a slightly used one and install it yourself, or to listen to one in person.

MT trans dip stick. The only way to tell whether you're full on the 6MT is to fill and wait for it to dribble out of the fill hole.

Isn't that pretty much the standard on most MT cars? My 530i is the same way. My previous A4 didn't have one either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Isn't that pretty much the standard on most MT cars? My 530i is the same way. My previous A4 didn't have one either.

Sure, it's abnormal to have a dipstick in an MT. That's why the presence of one scores a point for the Subie 5 speed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
Congrats!! I didn't realize they stopped putting a rear LSD in the stock WRXs. Was this around the time they started adding stability control etc?

It probably correlated. The new ones have a traction control system that will brake one wheel or the other to simulate an LSD if needed, similar to systems other manufacturers are using or have used (BMW and VW come to mind).

frown.gif

My 2011 came with 3 options: short throw shifter, auto-dimming mirror, and center armrest extender.

I specifically wanted the short throw shifter because it has a nice, mechanical feel without going TOO short like some aftermarket kits will. The shift rod itself is still fairly long and shift effort is nice and light.

The other two options I would not have sought out but I really like both of them and would not get rid of them. The armrest extender in particular -- it raises the center cubby lid height just enough that it's comfortable for me and after driving around like that I can't stand it when it's not extended.

There are LOTS of aftermarket exhaust options. The stock exhaust does sound pretty good (I agree w/ gathermewool here) and is quiet enough that I sometimes wish it were a little louder. OTOH there are plenty benefits to a quiet exhaust. Personally I'd wait on that if I were you -- you can always pick up the SPT one if you like it better than stock and other options.

Exhuast to get that sweet boxer motor sound, and a Cobb accessport to unleash the rest of the hidden power!!!

Why not be a bit of a sleeper and stay quiet? It's a LOT less cliche' as every idjit these days has a noisy pipe on their car.

Tune it first, you may be very surprised and pleased once you do. Then you can easily tweak as you decide to mod further if needed.

Last edited:

Congrats when it finally goes through.

There is a one locally sitting at our Subaru dealer same color in hatchback.

Turbo subaru's with manual transmissions and pure mechanical bliss of AWD are a hoot. I love my wife's 2005 Legacy GT wagon.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

There is a one locally sitting at our Subaru dealer same color in hatchback.

2014 Limited? I guess it's not practical to move across country, they wait for the Japan boat. They seem pretty unorganized about knowing where cars are.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Why not be a bit of a sleeper and stay quiet? It's a LOT less cliche' as every idjit these days has a noisy pipe on their car.

Tune it first, you may be very surprised and pleased once you do. Then you can easily tweak as you decide to mod further if needed.

+1 The OP should go to some local meets and have a listen for himself. Most WRX/STI guys would be more than happen to take you for a quick ride or at least let you listen.

Depending on how many mod'd Subies you have near you, the boxer rumble can sound just as annoying as Civics with [censored] cannons. I've been listening to and deciding on which exhaust to get since I bought my STI back in '08, and nothing sounds as good as the OEM exhaust ALL of the time.

For
With that said, there are some exhausts out there I'd be willing to buy and that I'd absolutely love if my STI weren't daily-driven on the commute I currently have. So, I may consider a good cat-back exhaust soon, when I move further away from work, changing my commute from ALL 25 MPH zones in the city to 35-55 MPH zones on mostly back roads.

That's if I even keep my STI, after all of the accident-related issues I've had recently.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Agreed, do a tune first with the stock exhaust. My buddy's 2012 WRX is plenty fast/loud enough stock, but he's fantasizing about a tune.

While it's apples to oranges, adding and then customizing a tune on my Cruze's 1.4T was/is a welcome decision. The added power has come in handy on occasion, and the car pulls hard to its 6500 RPM redline now instead of having no power after 5000 RPM.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

While it's apples to oranges, adding and then customizing a tune on my Cruze's 1.4T was/is a welcome decision. The added power has come in handy on occasion, and the car pulls hard to its 6500 RPM redline now instead of having no power after 5000 RPM.

That's interesting, did GM tune it that way to save the motor or turbo from high temperatures, or maybe just sandbagging so they can add 20hp at some point for a faster version?
It's always assumed that a small turbo kills higher rpm power, and not much can help that but a bigger turbo or running more boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back