Subaru oil change interval 6k or 6 months?

Hi

We just got an Impreza for my wife. Its basically a grocery getter. I noticed that the oil change interval on it is 6months / 6k.

Does this seem a bit aggressive? Why such a short duration / mileage?

I could write a book of a post but I'll just leave you with 1 thing to consider and my 2 cents.

The fb25 when it came out spec'ed 7500/7.5month.. they reduced it to 6k/6mo

what year impreza the DI or port injected model? If its DI I would say their inteval is "about right"
if its a port injected engine I'd consider it conservative.

That all being said I have changed my subarus around 5000 miles or 6months.

I could write a book of a post but I'll just leave you with 1 thing to consider.

The fb25 when it came out spec'ed 7500/7.5month.. they reduced it to 6k/6mo

what year impreza the DI or port injected model?
its a 2022

It's ok. They know some of their issues like oil consumption and low oil level related failures can be helped by more frequent service. The 6 month intervals help with fuel dilution which a grocery go getter will experience. I say to bump up a grade too. No warranty isn't a concern.

Not the same car but with my 2023 Kona N I take short trips and rarely commute more than 20 miles in a single trip and I get mine changed every 6 months regardless

I think that would apply to most of all makes and models

Agreed.

Several years ago, car manufacturers were starting to really stretch out recommended OCI. Then Subaru, Toyota, Honda, and others, all started having excessive oil consumption issues. They all started changing to shorter OCI, and most settled somewhere around the 6k mile/6 mo. OCI.

my dad had a 2016 yukon he bought used at 38k miles. He was doing the 10k+ mile OCI. One time he was driving and it had 162k miles on the odometer and the oil pressure light came on right as he parked it at some store. After shopping he pulled the dipstick out and it was bone dry. Turns out the 6.2 v8 running ow-20 became quite the oil burner.

bUt iTs sYnTheTic.

Back