Subaru CVT vs Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed the majority of CrossTrek owners have found the CVT to be better than the 5sp MT. It also gets 3 more mpg.

The CVT provides better engine response and makes better use of the engines power many have said. On one of the forums, several members that were long time manual transmission drivers went with the CVT.

The Subaru CVT seems to be quiet and very smooth with no lag. Is lag a common characteristic of CVT's? I have never driven in a car with one so I don't know.

It sounds like Subaru has a very good CVT. One article said it's one of the only CVT's worth praising.

I've been told that Nissan has very good CVTs. I drove a rental Altima with CVT about a year ago, no complaints other than the 'weirdness' of drivng a CVT.

I have a nissan rogue and I really like the CVT. After having this one for over a year I would buy another vehicle with a CVT without hesitation.

Im just happy subaru still makes manual transmissions...

I also like that (At least on older models)the AWD for manuals is set up at 50-50 as opposed to the auto tranny getting a power bias towards the front wheels.

^ yeah that's how mine is.

For going on trails, automatics are generally a better choice. I prefer manuals though.

MT's are also more simplistic and durable so the reliability is better.

My thought is if we had always had CVT's and then someone invented a 6 spd auto, no one would want one. Reaction would be what's all this shifting going on? Transmission sounds funny.

I have a Nissan Murano with a CVT. I like it.

CVTs allow the engine to stay at high revs during extreme acceleration and the transmission changes to provide acceleration. This "up reving of the engine" causes some people to think that the transmission is slipping or has a lag, it is not.

Last edited:
Burt said:
My thought is if we had always had CVT's and then someone invented a 6 spd auto, no one would want one. Reaction would be what's all this shifting going on? Transmission sounds funny. [/quot

This is what I have thought after driving mine. I can't see any reason why I would want a traditional auto tranny. I still definitely see wanting a manual but not a traditional auto.

I want to see a cvt in a high torque low rev application like the cruze diesel.

Originally Posted By: Burt
My thought is if we had always had CVT's and then someone invented a 6 spd auto, no one would want one. Reaction would be what's all this shifting going on? Transmission sounds funny.

Great point Burt.

The first CVT I ever drove was a test drive in a brand-new Saturn Vue AWD 2.2L Ecotec w/ CVT. It was marginally horrendous. I think that was 2002?

They've come a long way. My in-laws are on their 3rd Nissan Rogue. I find that drivetrain to be matched perfectly to the vehicle.

I fell in love with the CVT on my 2012 Subaru Legacy when I test-drove it. It's awesome IMO. Provided they last long-term, I'd take one in all my daily-drivers over today's extremely annoying too many speed automatics (IMO).

If you want a rock-crawler, race car, plow truck, etc... obviously you need something else.

The CVT is the weakest link in the subarus. Just look at the 2014 forester. They had to derate the towing from 2400 lbs. to 1000 lbs because of how weak the CVT is.

It is too bad Subaru doesn't take the transmissions more seriously. They make great cars in regard to everything else.

Well seeing as how I just bought a brand new 2013 Legacy with the CVT, does anyone know if the 7 year, 100K mile warranty covers transmission failures?

Yeah I just checked the brochure.

The powertrain warranty covers: transaxle case, all internal parts, torque converter, transmission mounts, seals and gaskets.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Well seeing as how I just bought a brand new 2013 Legacy with the CVT, does anyone know if the 7 year, 100K mile warranty covers transmission failures?

Is 7/100 something new?

I know everything up to 2012 is 5yr/60K on the powertrain. Cool thing is, if you live in a PZEV state and drive a PZEV equipped Soob, there's a ton of stuff covered for 15yrs/150K miles.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The CVT is the weakest link in the subarus. Just look at the 2014 forester. They had to derate the towing from 2400 lbs. to 1000 lbs because of how weak the CVT is.

It is too bad Subaru doesn't take the transmissions more seriously. They make great cars in regard to everything else.

Per Subaru, maximum towing capacity for all models of the 2014 Forester is 1500lbs, not 1000lbs.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is 7/100 something new?

The standard powertrain warranty is still 5 years/60k miles. However, I bought the extended warranty which pushes it out to 7 years/100k miles.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I have a nissan rogue and I really like the CVT. After having this one for over a year I would buy another vehicle with a CVT without hesitation.

Paying attention to all reviews involving CVTs, it seems the one getting the most praise is the one in the new Accord, it's said to be markedly ahead of Nissan's.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Per Subaru, maximum towing capacity for all models of the 2014 Forester is 1500lbs, not 1000lbs.

1500lbs is only if the trailer has brakes. 1000 lbs is the limit w/out special restrictions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofast182

Paying attention to all reviews involving CVTs, it seems the one getting the most praise is the one in the new Accord, it's said to be markedly ahead of Nissan's.

Specifically what reviews are you referring to?

Nissan has been in the CVT game a lot longer than Honda has and no one is going to rant and rave about Honda transmission "quality."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back