Strange Filter + Problems, OK to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this filter look OK to use? Notice in the last two pictures the inside of the oil filter has a plastic imperfection that I could rub and take little pieces of it off. You'll see the pieces on the white piece of paper in the last picture.

Also, the way this filter is constructed - it doesn't look like it would flow well at all. Your opinions?

Would you guys/gals use this in your vehicle? Oh, the filter in question is the new Fram 9018 Made in USA?! at Wal-Mart.

Filter1
Filter2

Filter3
PlasticPieces

I don't know if it's ok to use but it looks like Fram's try at an Ecore type filter. Maybe?? Plastic end caps!? Anybody have any experience with one of these?

Ah Ha! Looked it up and it's a cartridge filter. I know nothing about that type of filter but outwardly the Wix version looks the same. I guess all cartridge types look alike. I would worry about plastic pieces coming off in the filter.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is a cartridge filter used in the 2.2L Ecotecs in 2001+ GM cars.

It looks like Fram tried to copy Wix. It looks exactly like the Nappa Gold on the inside and a true Wix on the outside. The only problem is - the plastic ridges are fouled up and break off pretty easily.

The media looks really tightly packed compared to Wix, STP, and the original Fram.

Looks like I'll have to trash these filters - those plastic pieces came off pretty easily (wonder what fast flowing hot oil would do?)... They probably wouldn't do an engine any good.

Pete C - I am not sure which way the oil flows to the filter. I would imagine the oil comes up into the filter from the bottom then out the sides. If that is the case - the filter would catch these plastic pieces.

The second fram I got with this one - same problem - just run your finger along the inside edge of the filter and you'll break a ton of black plastic pieces off.

I was hoping Made in USA would be better???
frown.gif

The oil flows from the outside in. Can you clean off all the loose pieces off? If not I'd take it back to wally world and get your money back. Then buy a wix or pureone.

I could probably take a tough toothbrush and run it along those rough edges to get all the pieces off. Not sure if I want to risk that tho. I think you are right - I'm going to take those back and use the money to buy a wix (amsoil website) or pureone (pepboys).

Wonder how many other Ecotec owners / cartridge filter users are putting these new Fram filters in their cars and getting those plastic pieces in the engine !!!
frown.gif

Can't buy STP anymore - they are like $9 now from $5 earlier this year. Darned AutoZone.

Thanks for your help guys (pajim17057, Pete C, and wmcutter).

The Fram 9018 is probably made by a third party and offered by Fram. I have several ST 9018's in the garage, two look alike, 1 looks like pictured, and one is different from all the others (total of 3 different flavors). 2 of the ST's are Korean, 1 is Japanese, and 1 is USA. The AC Delco I have is a Hamp, and looks exactly the same as the NAPA Gold. The ST's are still about $5 at WM. I agree with the toothbrush idea. Brush it down and run it. Wait until AA has another BOGO sale, and stock up on Purolators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back