straight 40 Weight in 700R4 Tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle History: 1986 Chevy Astro Van. 4.3 V-6 700R4 transmission. Started life as a "Bell South" repair van, sold to a crew of painters, (who painted the van with leftover paint), sold to my brother then given to my other brother who then gave it to his son who then gave it to me. I've had the van for about 8 years.

I use this van as the "workhorse" to maintain my parents property. My father is 94, my mother is 85 and they live on 15 acres of land. Due to their age, they are not able to do any outside work, so I do that once a week for them.

This van is never driven on the highway. It has no doors, no windows, the body is very rusty and the motor burns oil and smokes.

I use this van to haul equipment, haul brush, carry things from point "A" to point "B" and pull small oaks trees and dead orange trees out of the ground.

Van is never driven over 20 mph and rarely goes fast enough to shift into second gear. So basically, I'm using first gear and reverse.

About six months ago, the front seal in the transmission started leaking. What started as a dribble at first, soon turned into a river of transmission fluid. I was using between 2-4 quarts a week, the fluid literally flowed out of the front of the transmission, right onto the cross-over pipe which created a cloud of smoke).

About three months ago, I had no fluid to fill the tranmission. I didn't feel like going to town to buy another case of fluid, (plus it was getting expensive) so I started digging around my shop and found a stash of 40 weight motor oil I bought some time back, stored and forgot about, (I paid 88 cents a quart for it - that will give you an idea of how old it is). I thought, "what the heck, it's dying anyway." So I grabbed three quarts and poured them in the transmission, fired up the engine, put it in gear and off we went. Transmission worked great with no issues what so ever, (other than leaking).

Next week, added three more quarts of 40 weight. Once again, worked great.

The next week, I only had to add two quarts of 40 weight for the whole day.

Week following, I only added one quart of 40 weight. But, I did notice a shudder in reverse.

The following week, I added one quart USED transmission fluid and shudder went away. (The fluid came from a trans flush I did on one of my cars) I've added an additional two quarts of transmission fluid (used Dex III/M) and the shudder is totally gone.

Leak is now down to a slow drip and I've gone two weeks now without adding any fluid at all.

Now I'm wondering. Obviously a 40 weight motor oil is much thicker than your average transmission fluid, could it be that this thicker fluid is acting to stop the leak? Keep in mind, prior to adding 4o weight, the fluid literally poured through the front of the tranny in a steady stream. Now, it just an oily drip.

I'm wondering as well if this isn't bascially the same kind of thinking behind products like "Lucas Transmission Fix." I have used that stuff in other cars and it is really thick, (like gear oil or STP). Could their product simply be thick oil with a red dye?

Finally, obviously, this old van is worth more dead than alive. It has served me and my family well and owes us nothing, (keep in mind, that when my first brother bought it from the painter crew, he paid 500 bucks for it). Even so, for the sake of discussion, does anyone have any idea what that oil is doing inside the transmission - heating, burning, sludging or just flowing.

Thoughts, comments and ideas are welcome.

The 40 weight oil may be cleaning up and kind of rejuvenating the older seals. Those older seals are probably extremely brittle. Everything in the transmission probably has a lot of wiggle room due to years of usage, so the heavy oil can work in those places and possibly provide better friction between worn transmission plates.

It really sounds like this vehicle has been used, and it is time to go to the scrap yard.

All things considered, I'd get rid of it. It would be a lesson in futility to attempt to fix it. Seems like it is well past the point where one thing after another brakes down.

What would bother me is where all the transmission fluid is going. A quart of oil can poison a lot of soil so that it is near impossible for anything to grow.
I know my dad used to pour used motor oil on dirt driveways to keep the dust down, but he didn't know about ground water and recycling when he was a kid.

SuperDave - I've thought the same thing. When it was leaking really bad, I made a "catch pan" out of an old foil pan, (the one we used to cook the Thanksgiving Turkey) and some shop rags and cardboard. Cardboard would soak up fluid and keep it from splashing. It worked pretty good but you have to keep an eye on it in tall grass and weeds. The key is driving slow. End of the day, drop the "catch pan", throw away cardboard, add new cardboard and back in business. Now that it's slowed down to a drip/dribble, I don't have to dump the "catch pan" that often. My only concern is that the fluid drips on the crossover pipe and then down into the pan. It smokes, (pipe is hot). I'm afraid "catch pan" might catch on fire - but considering the condition of the van, it won't be much of a loss.

If the tranny is badly warn and you want to continue to use it, you may want to use some cheap 20 Weight Accel rated API SA or SB.

Some large tractors and HD trucks use motor oil in the automatic transmissions .often you will see "Allison" on the back of 15w40 oil jugs. I can't imagine a HD trans being that much different than a car trans. Just bigger

Quote:
Molakule - why an SA or SB - non detergent - are the detergents in the 40 weight "combating" whatever is in the normal tranny fluid?

No, it's just dirt cheap for a leaker tranny on its way out, and closer to the viscosity of regular ATF.

Last edited:
Quote:
Some large tractors and HD trucks use motor oil in the automatic transmissions .often you will see "Allison" on the back of 15w40 oil jugs. I can't imagine a HD trans being that much different than a car trans. Just bigger

Large Tractor-Trailer units that have manual transmissions often use a 30 to 50 weight Powershift fluid with an Allison spec of C4 or TES 439. Some motor oils are allowed.

Most automatic Allisons I am aware of use an ATF of Allison specs TES 295, 353, 389 and 468.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back