Straight 20W oil in new vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would a straight 20w HDEO oil do in newer vehicles spec.ed for 5w20 (for summer, or warm weather operation)? It would seem that the absence of viscosity improvers could be a good thing, particularly for operations like trailer towing.

I checked, and it says SJ.......I wish there was an SM-rated straight weight. We'll probably never see it, though - not enough demand to develop it!

There is a project for Amsoil. a straight 20 that passes as a 5W-20 like their ACD does as a 10W-30, but formulate it as a really stout SM rated oil that runs 9.0 cSt at 100 degrees, has no VIIs and a very strong additive package. All 5W-20s have shown really good results so why not make the be-all, end-all product for the grade as far as protection.

So many people with trucks seem to be pannicked about running 5W-20 oil so offering something that is really targeted at that niche might make it an extremely hot product...especially if they API grade it.

I'll look in my garage for some 20W for ya. I used it back in the 50's, you can have any I have left over--

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
There is a project for Amsoil. a straight 20 that passes as a 5W-20 like their ACD does as a 10W-30, but formulate it as a really stout SM rated oil that runs 9.0 cSt at 100 degrees, has no VIIs and a very strong additive package.

I think that would perfectly describe their 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
5w20 or 5w30 =less startup wear.

I keep seeing this quote but nothing to back it up.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I checked, and it says SJ.......I wish there was an SM-rated straight weight. We'll probably never see it, though - not enough demand to develop it!
I have some here that I bought last year. It says API Service SM in the donut. You may be looking at a different Valvoline oil or an old bottle. The part number on this is VV153. I got it at Murrays, which is now owned by CSK so maybe if you have a CS or K store nearby, they would have or order some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back