Sticking brake caliper while out of town...

I just did the front/rear pads myself about 3k miles ago...

Maybe I caused the issue??? I always lube the slides and everything looked good when I changed them out.

Did the piston push back easily? I'm not Hercules but I can push back pistons with my thumbs if they are properly lubed. If it requires tools, it needs inspection IMO. Maybe you pinched the boot and dirt got under it, it's not uncommon either

I just did the front/rear pads myself about 3k miles ago...

Maybe I caused the issue??? I always lube the slides and everything looked good when I changed them out
I'm always a bit leary when pushing pistons back, but more so with old junk on pads that have obviously been worn way down. It's not the pads but the fact the pistons have been "out" so long.

If crap builds on those exposed pistons or they swell at all where it's constantly "mashing" the pad backer, it can get sticky once shoved all the way back in.

Plenty of pistons are extended out a lot right now all over the world. They work ok in their present position -- after all they only move ‐‐ what ‐- 10 thousandths? during normal braking. But once you shove them back in 1" or more you're reintroducing a portion of that piston to the seal area and caliper bore. It can make all the difference between a functioning caliper and a sticky caliper. But then sometimes OEM calipers from 1987 still work great....so ya never know.

ALSO, I recently had your situation on my '07 F150. I arrived at my destination and noticeably detected a faint hint of burning brakes. I walked around and determined it was definitely right front. I ordered everything to rebuild a caliper and a new hose, but it's now been months and the problem hasn't returned. I dunno? But for now I'm not going to fix what ain't broken. If I were retired or bored I'd be more proactive rather than reactive.

At ten years old I'd replace the hose aswell, but calipers seize much earlier than that. there's no real extra labour involved anyway
Plus at the parts stores hoses are sometimes outrageous $$, but if you have the luxury of planning they're typically ~$10 at RA. Amazon is also a great source for Sunsong IME

I'm always a bit leary when pushing pistons back, but more so with old junk on pads that have obviously been worn way down. It's not the pads but the fact the pistons have been "out" so long.

If crap builds on those exposed pistons or they swell at all where it's constantly "mashing" the pad backer, it can get sticky once shoved all the way back in.

Plenty of pistons are extended out a lot right now all over the world. They work ok in their present position -- after all they only move ‐‐ what ‐- 10 thousandths? during normal braking. But once you shove them back in 1" or more you're reintroducing a portion of that piston to the seal area and caliper bore. It can make all the difference between a functioning caliper and a sticky caliper. But then sometimes OEM calipers from 1987 still work great....so ya never know.

ALSO, I recently had your situation on my '07 F150. I arrived at my destination and noticeably detected a faint hint of burning brakes. I walked around and determined it was definitely right front. I ordered everything to rebuild a caliper and a new hose, but it's now been months and the problem hasn't returned. I dunno? But for now I'm not going to fix what ain't broken. If I were retired or bored I'd be more proactive rather than reactive.
its gonna bit ya when you need it the most , or the most unconvienent time, they always do

• Haha
Reactions: D60
I was driving to Detroit one year for some road racing. I had done the brakes the day before. As I got off the interstate in Detroit I found I had no brakes. It's how I usually drive anyway, as if I don't have them. But I got to my hotel then ran off to the nearest AutoZone. It's where I had got the caliper and rotors. I took it off out in the parking lot and got a new warranty one and some fluid and new caliper bolts. The top one had come out and the caliper dropped down allowing the piston to over extend.

Had the cops pull up and check me out.

If I have a stiff caliper piston I remove the dust seal and pump it out to inspect for corrosion and clean up then push back and pump out a few times to give it some exercise. Lubrication with red rubber grease or silicone based brake grease under the dust seal will keep it free. I will always lubricate/exercise the piston at every pad change. Single piston sliding calipers are a poor design at the best of times and need to move freely for the hysteresis of a single piston seal to have any chance of taking the pressure off the pads when the brake is released.

When clean and lubed, the original 45 year old dual piston caliper on my motorcycle works so well that with the brake released there is zero drag from the pads.

Brake Seal.jpg

• Love
Reactions: D60
Did the piston push back easily? I'm not Hercules but I can push back pistons with my thumbs if they are properly lubed. If it requires tools, it needs inspection IMO. Maybe you pinched the boot and dirt got under it, it's not uncommon either

I don't recall it pushing back easy. I use a L piece of steel and a C clamp to push the piston back. I went from almost no pad left to new pads...

I don't recall it pushing back easy. I use a L piece of steel and a C clamp to push the piston back. I went from almost no pad left to new pads...
Yeah if they don't push back easily that's not great. Typically you'll load up the clamp just a bit then the piston will almost "coast" back a bit, making the threaded spindle of a c-clamp noticeably loose......rinse and repeat.

If it's a fight the whole way that's generally a recipe for future problems.

OK. And what I've seen backs up my claim. I guess we were taught differently. I see no point in changing ten year old calipers and leaving the hose, a few years old OK, just make sure to inspect the fluid coming out of the caliper.. They can fail internally, look good on the outside and mess up a good caliper. Been there done that.
I agree with your comment about hoses - they fail from the inside. I have seen it several times.

Last year on vacation near Mount Rushmore our left side caliper locked up on our 1993 Roadtrek, had to get towed to an OReilly in Rapid City. They had the part and pads. .They even let my wife and I replace the caliper and pads in their side parking lot. We were very thankful and they kept coming out of the store to see if we needed anything or help. I had replaced that hose a few years back and it was still good. They were an awesome part store. I set a note to the company about how helpful they were and how glad we were that they had the parts that we needed.
Having worked retail auto parts, it's probably not a great idea to inform corporate that a store manager let you perform that level of work in the parking lot. It's technically not allowed by some chains and/or lots of municipalities, and you can get that manager in a ton of trouble or even fired.

I understand your sentiment and what you were trying to convey, just wasn't sure if you were aware of the potential negative results of doing so. Corporate legal departments don't have sentiments. Lol

Back