Stellantis 6.7L Cummins TSB: Only use 10W30 on 2019MY+, 15W40 can cause damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding a more simple view to my already stated thoughts a few pages back:
Viscosity is merely a quantification of a fluid's resistance to flow; nothing more and nothing less. The intended manipulation of vis in a lubricant can be achived by several means, not the least of which is basestocks AND/OR VIIs. To condemn a lubricant solely based on vis seems incredibly short-sighted and uninformed in this situation.

And people thought the Ford diesel oil list was confusing and made no sense ... I believe Stellantis has usurped the Ford topic and raised oil stupidity to a new level.

They're not obligated to

Just playing devil's advocate - what ulterior motive would they have for publishing this TSB ?
Better question: why did they wait until now and go back to 2019 models. I repeat what I said earlier: I smell a rat.

As to my farmer friends truck; it sees 50/50 highway city driving and towing. He has had SERO issues also using Rotella T4 15w40. Blasphemy or fact

RAM didn’t publish findings. It published a general warning. A warning that on its surface, appears to make zero sense based upon the criteria they listed.
To you it may not make sense. But they may not be giving all the data, post-mortem assessments, etc. may not ever for certain liability reasons.

As JustN89 stated Stellantis/Ram didn’t publish any findings so until they do I wouldn’t believe them at all
They may never publish “findings” because it results in an admission of guilt and this opens to liability. So this point is moot.

Adding a more simple view to my already stated thoughts a few pages back:
Viscosity is merely a quantification of a fluid's resistance to flow; nothing more and nothing less. The intended manipulation of vis in a lubricant can be achived by several means, not the least of which is basestocks AND/OR VIIs. To condemn a lubricant solely based on vis seems incredibly short-sighted and uninformed in this situation.

And people thought the Ford diesel oil list was confusing and made no sense ... I believe Stellantis has usurped the Ford topic and raised oil stupidity to a new level.
Agree until you realize that most folks aren’t informed, nor care, as much as people here. I suspect it’s hard to get all consumers to run an HDEO, let alone one that is a few dollars more money.

I suspect that forcing the viscosity is a way to get stupid uninformed folks to buy the right product.

To you it may not make sense. But they may not be giving all the data, post-mortem assessments, etc. may not ever for certain liability reasons.
It's not a matter of my opinion and whether or not it makes sense to me. Viscosity alone (the only reason they gave) has no correlation to the formation of deposits.

Now, 15W-40 can be found in a conventional oil, unlike 5W-40, and the use of conventional oil could lead to increased deposits. This would explain their statements. However, that takes inferring their intention by use of what might not be exceptionally common knowledge (how many drivers on the road actually know the pros and cons of synthetic vs conventional and what grades are often found in conventional and what grades can only be found in synthetic?). Essentially, RAM could be correct in warning people off of 15W-40, but because of the reasoning they gave, they're actually just simply wrong. If they didn't want to say what the actual reasoning was, they would've been better off just saying "use of 15W-40 engine oil will cause damage". No reason needed, especially an incorrect reason.

Ahh yes the ages old conspiracy where the engine manufacturer who has been building engines for like a billion years wants people to stop the use of one approved oil and instead use a different approved oil. Oil that is readily available from third parties.

It's not like you aren't supposed to be using approved oil with the pre-2018 engine anyway, so what difference does it make? Cost? Considering most of these trucks are $60k+ I can't take that complaint seriously.

It's not a matter of my opinion and whether or not it makes sense to me. Viscosity alone (the only reason they gave) has no correlation to the formation of deposits.

Now, 15W-40 can be found in a conventional oil, unlike 5W-40, and the use of conventional oil could lead to increased deposits. This would explain their statements. However, that takes inferring their intention by use of what might not be exceptionally common knowledge (how many drivers on the road actually know the pros and cons of synthetic vs conventional and what grades are often found in conventional and what grades can only be found in synthetic?). Essentially, RAM could be correct in warning people off of 15W-40, but because of the reasoning they gave, they're actually just simply wrong. If they didn't want to say what the actual reasoning was, they would've been better off just saying "use of 15W-40 engine oil will cause damage". No reason needed, especially an incorrect reason.
I don’t care what some folks here “say”. They are simply backing Ram. Show me actual proof instead of total BS. I can care less if my friend is using conventional 15w40 or whatever. I have like many friends with this truck and engine using store brand 15w40 oil. I want proof not some stupid TSB with no backing. That’s called misinformation. Awful funny that the Cummins 6.7 engine is pretty reliable and now RAM says don’t use 15w40. Get real. I want facts not opinions.

I don’t care what some folks here “say”. They are simply backing Ram. Show me actual proof instead of total BS. I can care less if my friend is using conventional 15w40 or whatever. I have like many friends with this truck and engine using store brand 15w40 oil. I want proof not some stupid TSB with no backing. That’s called misinformation. Awful funny that the Cummins 6.7 engine is pretty reliable and now RAM says don’t use 15w40. Get real. I want facts not opinions.

What motivation is there for Cummins/Ram to lie about it?

They may never publish “findings” because it results in an admission of guilt and this opens to liability. So this point is moot.
They will never be honest with their consumer. That’s common sense. They should be forthcoming and open and honest. Oh 💩💩 I just spoke truth🙊🙊🙊

At the end of the day, 90% of Ram/Cummings owners that do their own oil changes will keep using whatever oil they want. Maybe it will be what the owner's manual says which is now superseded, so plenty will continue to use 15W-40.

I don’t care what some folks here “say”. They are simply backing Ram.
Haha. I've never owned a Chrysler product or whatever they're called this decade. I have ZERO connection to them or their products. I just think it's hilarious that this has turned into a conspiracy !! 🤣

At the end of the day, 90% of Ram/Cummings owners that do their own oil changes will keep using whatever oil they want. Maybe it will be what the owner's manual says which is now superseded, so plenty will continue to use 15W-40.

Haha. I've never owned a Chrysler product or whatever they're called this decade. I have ZERO connection to them or their products. I just think it's hilarious that this has turned into a conspiracy !! 🤣
All I’m sayin’ is that if people have been using 15w40 for how long day 2018 without issues, why change.

All I’m sayin’ is that if people have been using 15w40 for how long day 2018 without issues, why change.
You know of (1) example. Chrysler knows of thousands or tens of thousands and maybe, just maybe, they're seeing issues. Well, clearly they're seeing issues ! Maybe, just maybe, they looked at what oil was used in a pool of samples they analyzed and maybe they saw a common denominator.

This topic needs to die. Nobody here will, can honestly tell us why you shouldn’t use even ROTELLA T6 15w40 as my one friend does in his 19’. I find this hilarious. Everyone believes Stellantis/RAM. That takes the cake. No proof, some irreverent tsb they came out with and with no proof. Who cares? I’ll listen to friends that live and breathe and work with these trucks.

Agree until you realize that most folks aren’t informed, nor care, as much as people here. I suspect it’s hard to get all consumers to run an HDEO, let alone one that is a few dollars more money.

I suspect that forcing the viscosity is a way to get stupid uninformed folks to buy the right product.
I understand your comments and don't disagree in how you see the "uninformed" public ... but the entire release is either poorly reasoned, or poorly written, or a combo of both. No LOGICAL engineer at Cummins had a hand in that release. I have a cousin-once-removed who works as an engineer for Cummins in Columbus; I'm going to reach out and ask what's going on. He does not work on the 6.7s, but he probably knows someone who does. If there is info he can share, I'll update us. But, it may be privileged info and not open to the public.

Last edited:
To many of us, this release makes no sense because we understand that Vis is only a means of measuring resistance to flow and has zilch to do with causing the inferred issues. But, there's some background we're not privy to at Cummins, and we may never know the root cause(s).

And so, that in mind, we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back