Stellantis 6.7L Cummins TSB: Only use 10W30 on 2019MY+, 15W40 can cause damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
1657563204122.png

Was advised by a few reputable dealer techs than 15W40 was causing the pushrod and rocker arm issues, and this is one of the reasons why Stellantis came out with this TSB.

Any thoughts on this? Surprised to see a 15W-xx oil cause issues compared to a 5W-xx or 10W-xx in >0F conditions.

Last edited:
Interesting! Especially with the recent 10w-30 thread that popped up the other day.

Any thoughts on this?
If they are unequivocally saying NOT to use it, you can be certain that they have very good reasons to back that up. They are also taking an across-the-board restriction by not getting into the temperature/climate of where the engine is operated. Just easier that way....

That would be odd considering they are saying you can use 5w40 in the same truck.
What makes an oil 5W vs 15W ? Could there be commonly used components across the major 15W-40 producers that are the concern ?

Since most 5W40's are synthetic and most 15W40's are not, I'm guessing that higher quality VII's are being used in the 5W40's.
maybe, maybe not. Their statement is very blanket and terrible. IMO.
OTOH I'd probably be running 5w40 anyway.. I guess in CA many would run 15w40 year round.

Its ok as a TSB perhaps as far as TSBs go... but I'd definitely like more details.

Amusing. So, conventional 15w-40 oil, no go, but synthetic (5w-40) you are G2G.

I think that would be it, yes. Low oil flow in the valve lash adjuster, so the mineral stuff is likely to largely stay there after oil changes and degrade further into the next oci... once the thickening starts it will be even harder to get out.

Interesting, I haven't heard a peep about this at all. But, as far as I know, were aren't using any hydraulic valve lash adjusters on the commercial B6.7's either. So that's probably why. The Ram versions do have quite a few differences vs our commercial engines. Our commercial engine owner's manuals for 2019 and older still state "While the preferred viscosity grade is 15W-40, lower viscosity multigrade oils can be used in colder climates." Newer model years states "Use of 10W-30 is recommended for normal engine operation and provides the best wear protection. 15W-40 is compatible for improved engine durability at extremely high ambient temperatures."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back