Steam power

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been some Aussie developed steam cars in the past that turned some pretty respectable mileage and performance figures...never made it 'though.

Was looking at some 3,000 HP steam turbines yesterday at an overhaul facility. 3,000HP at 6,000 shaft RPM, with two stages of rotating blading around 2 feet in diameter (blade height above the disk was around 1.5-2".

Not really suitable for street use...the system described would be lucky to achieve 15% thermal efficiency. (My 625,000 and 900,000 hp machines are mid 30s and low 40s respectively)

I have seen add on steam generator that recover heat from car exhaust, drives a mini turbine/generator and charge batteries in a hybrid type arangement. Hard to couple high rpm turbine to slower speed trans though. Bigger/huge/enormous systems scale well as far as efficency, less on size/weight vs. output. Better on cost basis over 20-50 years.

True, a 3MW machine will have 2" blades, and 20 thou tip clearances. A 660 will have 33.5" last stage blades (still a couple inches up the front), and 20-40 thou tip clearances.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What gets the water hot enough to turn it into steam?

Good point. What we need to do is go back to coal, or manure. That would open up a number of sponsorship options. After all Formula One for instance is mostly fueled by B/S already!

That was my thought . I like steam locomotives and at the county fairs there is always some kind of steam power [old farm equipment] being demonstrated.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
That was my thought . I like steam locomotives and at the county fairs there is always some kind of steam power [old farm equipment] being demonstrated.

Going slightly off topic maybe?

I love steam engines and when you think about it (if you know) the Mallard (an LNER class A4 locomotive) did 126mph (record) in 1938, it weighed over 160 tons and powered by coal! I have seen it and it is awesome. It currently resides in the York railway museum.

There's a thought Steve I think we should have a try at a steam power thread? I will try it now if you don't mind me stealing some of your thought? The thing is where does it belong?

I think I will put it into the General section and then see what everyone thinks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back