Star Wars - Episode III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the better question, who won the Yoda vs Sidious fight?
grin.gif

I think Yoda did. Obi Wan kicked some @ss in that movie. Even though he doesn't have the same power as Mace and Yoda, he uses it well. Ok...I'm getting borderline "fanboy" now.
grin.gif

I'd have called it a draw. I was most impressed with Obi Wan... as soon as greivous split his arms and started doing that helicopter thing with 2 'sabers.. I though "oh **** ". There was soooo much stuff going on throughout the whole movie, I think I'm going to have to see it a couple more times to see it all.

-Bret

here's my 2c:

IMO there is a bit too much computer animation. It got to me that some of the things, like r2d2 had more functionality (jumping out of ships, bigtime defense systems) in the 'earlier' days than later on (i.e. episodes 4 onward), when it should have been more advanced. Also annoying was the difference in 'actual' computer screens on the ships, etc., compared to those shown in the original movie (the 'computer layout' of the death star in episode 4 comes to mind... remember that?). sure, we can do a lot more neat stuff these days, but I kind of felt in a twisted way that it was historically inaccurate.

IMO, there was a bit too much attempt to have high intensity fight scenes. Sure, one or two look neat, but come on. The battle scenes with all the clones, etc. were good.

All in all, I like episode 4 the best. It was simple, and original obi wan (alec guiness?) just had a sort of speech mannerism that I really liked. episode 3 should have been about 30-45 minutes longer (it was a long movie as is), and took a little more time to explain some of the stuff, rather than filling it all with swordfights.

JMH

I saw it Monday. Still a pretty full theater for 12 noon, but no freaks (at least none dressed up).
Better than I and II, but I thought they were not all that bad. III has some good action, but as said above, there were times when so much was going on you could not get it all in. The biggest thing that bugged me in this movie was that stupid creature Obi-Wan was riding. Its yell was super annoying. My wife had to plug her ears whenever it screamed.
I agree with the fall of Anakin, it was just so... OK I am your servant now... no real struggle. Only 5 seconds to consider what he had done to Mace then turn to the darkside. I know it had been building up to that, but still.
The Anakin/Padamine scenes were just awful. The first one was just sooo terrible. I told my wife they should have just left that out completly.

The 4 armed Gen. Grievious was pretty cool though. I know I was just thinking "Oh Crap!" when all 4 started spinning. Sounded pretty cool too.

***Spoiler, don't read if you have not seen it***

One thing, did I understand it right that the Emperior was the one who "impregnated" Anakins mother, or was it Palpatines Master that did it and then Palpatine killed him?

quote:

One thing, did I understand it right that the Emperior was the one who "impregnated" Anakins mother, or was it Palpatines Master that did it and then Palpatine killed him?

You misunderstood. Anakin has no natural father.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

You misunderstood. Anakin has no natural father.

But that is what the Emperor said, that the dark side had the power to control metaclorenes (SP) and could create life (or something to that effect). Not that he had sexual intercourse with her, but he controlled the metaclorenes and made her pregnant.
I will listen again next time I see it.

Another Australian triumph. George Lucas sent a letter to a Sydney paper this week and a few of his words follow "Right now Australian crews are the most experienced crews in the world with shooting digitally, especially now because they're shooting Superman digitally there too,". Episode III is the 2nd Star Wars movie to be made in Sydney of course along with Dark City, Babe: Pig in the City, The Matrix, Farscape Series I, Mission Impossible II, Holy Smoke, Moulin Rouge, Star Wars Episode II, Kangaroo Jack, The Quiet American, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revisited, and currently in post production Mask II: Son of Mask, Stealth, and in production Superman Returns.

Good going Australia! Maybe a large percentage of our stars can also move over there....would you like that? Seriously though, it's probably less expensive in your neck of the woods for the movie folks to produce them over there. You've sure got some different scenery as well, not the same old stuff we see over here. Just be sure to keep an eye on those stars...

"Maybe a large percentage of our stars can also move over there....would you like that"

I'd actually prefer them to stay here to keep people like you in-line. Their needs to be a balance. he he. Remember andrews, "Only Sith deal in absolutes." - Obi Wan
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing that sprintman. Everyone I know who has been to Austrailia LOVES IT! I have to make it their someday, if I can handle the plane ride.
frown.gif

[ May 25, 2005, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

No it actually more expensive to do it here but the general movie making expertise is better. A lot of the tech guys in Hollywood are Aussies. People like cinematographer Dean Semmler who shot Dancing with Wolves etc are recognised as the best their is. Most of the big budget Hollywwod movies will be shot in Oz from now on. Also the fact the actors can't spend enough time here doesn't hurt matters either. A lot of them are buying property here of course worsening the already crazy Sydney property market.

quote:

But that is what the Emperor said, that the dark side had the power to control metaclorenes (SP) and could create life (or something to that effect). Not that he had sexual intercourse with her, but he controlled the metaclorenes and made her pregnant.
I will listen again next time I see it.

Sidious said his former master had learned to bring the dead back to life. He never said Anakins mother was impregnated by midichlorians.

Qui-Gon's skill aquired the ability to return from death as a "ghost," and he was the first Jedi to do so. Qui-Gon taught this ability to Yoda, who in turn taught it to Obi-Wan. Sidious does not have that skill, and he never said he had the ability to bring the dead to life either, which his master SUPPOSEDLY had. Sidious said he and Anakin would together learn the secret.

[ May 25, 2005, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

He never specificaly said he or Darth Plagus did do it, but he said Plagus learned how to control them, and Palpatine learned everything from his master. He also said he (Plagus) did know how to save and bring people back to life.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that in the Star Wars books that Palapatine/Sidious could transfer his consciousness to another cloned body, and basical cheat death. So he does apparently have the knowledge at some point in time.

You also have to wonder how much he said to Anakin was true, since he was just trying to get Anakin to turn.

Man, I need to go see it again.

Never cared for the "Star Wars" stuff from the very beginning (1977?). Too many special effects and irritating "cute" characters for me to get into it. You know what though? I feel better somehow, not ever getting caught up in all of it. I'm able to observe all the ruckus and commentary and wonder why all the interest?! It's just a movie. It's not like it's James Bond or something, right? lol.

Episode IV is still my favorite, but probably only because it was the first made and super impressive in 1977. Episode III stands very well by itself and of course completes the hexology.

I drove a few extra miles and watched Episode III at a newer cinema with a digital projector and THX surround and it was superb. It was so good, I won't be going to a regular cinema again. George Lucas has said that when the majority of cinemas are digital, he will release Star Wars in 3D.

Hopefully he won't fool around with the story again. The scene with Hans and the bounty hunter at the Cantena was ruined in the DVD trilogy
frown.gif

(hint - Hans shot first in 1977).

Being just a kid (33), I grew up on Star Wars. The movies were always ahead of their time and were fantastic. There were some dark scenes that I never even understood until I watched it as an adult. I have IV-VI on VHS tape in original and Special Edition format. I don't like the Special Editions, but Lucas is weird in that way.

Episode One was a huge letdown save for the pod race. Episode Two was better, but still weak. The "actor" protraying Anakin and Portman didn't seem to generate chemistry. We actually laughed out loud at the mother's death scene. I think it was the worst death scene in movie history. All she needed was her tongue to hang out and little X'x to replace her eyes.

I'm looking forward to Episode III. I will be seeing it in a place with the Kodak Digital camera and THX surround. I'm just wainting for the dressed freaks to go away first.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back