SSD CLEAN-UP?

Not quite. Microsoft has a trim function in Windows and I use some disc maintenance software that also has a trim function. Trimming isn't quite the same as defragging, and I honestly don't know the difference precisely. It is, however, used in lieu of defragging.

View attachment 148138
Thank you for educating me. When I checked this on my LEGION laptop it was already set to run weekly.

badly fragmented ntfs will affect everything.
But fragmentation causing data access latency isn't a problem on SSDs. The SSD controller doesn't care where the data is located, it doesn't affect its performance. Defragmenting the data on an SSD does nothing but lessen its lifespan.

Fragmented clusters of data is only a problem on spinning disks. The idea of fragmented data and performance loss because of it is old-school thinking.

If you really need to scratch that defrag itch, just watch something like this and get it out of your system.

HDDs data fragmentation is a problem because the disks spin and the head needs to physically scan across the disc to locate the data where it was written. SSDs do not do that.

Think of a cassette player, where you had fast rewind or forward to find you favorite song, vs an MP3 player.
Now, imagine your favorite song was recorded in several different places on that tape, instead of one, and you had to locate each piece of that song and load it to memory in order to play it continuously. Imagine how long would that take you vs just finding the song in one place.
That’s data defragmentation in simple terms.

Last edited:
Back