Spotted in the Wild

Screenshot_20220326-163934_Gallery.jpg

1951 Plymoth in an Autozone parking lot in Mississippi

My dad had a pale blue '53. Very similar to this '51 but with a one piece curved windshield. ...
My aunt and her husband also had '53. It had the first windshield washer system I ever saw in operation, an amazing trick back then. It was also the first car I knew that made it beyond 100,000 miles on the original engine. Chrysler used the flat-head Six until the Slant Six OHV arrived about 7 years later.

Ours didn't have a windshield washer. On muddy days my dad would clean the windshield with snow he picked up from the ditch. I don't remember what he did in the summer but since we never went very far a dirty windshield "while on the road" probably wouldn't matter very much.

That was our transportation until we bought a new Chevy II in '63.

We sold our old Plymouth to a neighbour. It probably had only 50,000 miles on it - and quite likely less than that. My dad made sure everything was in good order before he delivered it. I remember him changing the brake shoes after it had been sold.

Shoot, upgrading to electric wipers was a huge move. The vacuum wipers in our ‘57 were always persnickety, even when they worked.
Agreed. My brother had a '58 Ford. Its vacuum powered wipers only worked well when the throttle was closed. But step on the throttle and they'd almost stop. Some automotive advances are actual advances.

Agreed. My brother had a '58 Ford. Its vacuum powered wipers only worked well when the throttle was closed. But step on the throttle and they'd almost stop. Some automotive advances are actual advances.
They normally functioned ok during normal cruise situations, i.e., part-throttle. Floor the accelerator to pass on the a two-lane road in the rain, and they'd stop.
School buses had electric wipers long before most cars did (about 1960?) My parents' 1961 Biscayne had one-speed electric wipers.

Back