"Sports" car owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT1

For the last year my DD was a 1991 chevy caprice, all was good it was very reliable just a little mundane, I was only one time "challenged" by another driver to race. This was against a dodge ram 1500 5.9, hardly worth the gas I probably would have lost anyway.

Just yesterday I picked up a 1997 Eclipse GST, for those that do not know this is a FWD 2dr 2.0 turbocharged version of the standard eclipse, the only cosmetic differences from a Non turbo eclipse are the badges and a larger "arch" type spoiler. Besides the aftermarket wheels it is stock appearing, the only other modifications are hidden under the hood.

Just since yesterday I've been challenged or had people rev their exhaust at me twice(oddly enough both honda civics), in both of these situations I was in no position to race nor had the interest.

I'm really just wondering if any other sports car or muscle car owners have noticed how differently people act when your driving your "hot rod" as opposed to your daily beater?

Happened quite a bit to me.

My 01 Impala LS had an exhaust and a few bolt ons nothing major. But people coming up behind me would notice and pull along side me and want to race. I only ever took the bait twice. Acura Integra wannabe Type-R(badge and [censored] cannon but not a real Type R). Mopped the floor with him. The other a BMW on open highway. Mid-range I was good, top end I was mopped up. Don't want to go into more detail as it wasn't a good "experience".

The TC was highly modified, and I had lots of kids wanting to try my TC. Learning from my past, the car was mean for all show, no go(it could go, but never raced it). I've had 350Z's, Civics, Eclipses, WRX's line up with me at a light and them burning the tires and flying by. I'd be rowing my gears like I normally do up to the speed limit watching them go 80-90+ for nothing.

Surprisingly I haven't had people try the G6. Sporty looking sedan and a nice 3.5 VVT engine but guess now that I look older I'm probably not worth their time.

It's a machismo thing, mostly with the younger crowd. My buddy had a 97 Pontiac GTP highly modified(super charged with major performance parts added in). The Mustangs had a thing for his car and one by one he would be knocking em down. Same with the Civics, the kids think their Civics are fast cars(Fast and the Furious thanks!). I still remember leaving the theatre for each one of them and all the kiddies would be trying to race their cars out and be cool like the movie. Cops down the road didn't think it was to funny lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JT1

Just since yesterday I've been challenged or had people rev their exhaust at me twice(oddly enough both honda civics)

Honda Civics? What a surprise? Guy with sideways hat, about 20?

I agree with what you're saying about people trying to race you in certain vehicles. My old Tercel, in my younger days I lowered it, oversized rims, custom exhaust, lightweight flywheel, underdrive pulleys, Centerforce clutch etc etc etc. Still slow though, but was a very fun little car.

I've never been one to street race, even on the most deserted industrial areas, there can always be that car that makes a turn in front of you when you're flying up at some ridiculous rate of speed.

But I was revved at or challenged to race at least once a week by young guys in Civics, Corollas, Cavaliers etc.

Had the Ranger about 9 months now and never once have been revved at at a stoplight. Another wonderful change is that I now seem to be invisible to police. Any modified little compact car is an absolute cop magnet. Though I (and many others with modified cars) was always a responsible driver a HUGE proportion of those driving such cars are dangerous at times, such as the folks revving their engines at stoplights and the police know this.

Red light racers are plain dumb. Plus the guy who wins still gets a ticket. Endangering the public with racer like antics on a public road should be discouraged and this is one circumstance when I root for the cops to "win".

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Red light racers are plain dumb. Plus the guy who wins still gets a ticket. Endangering the public with racer like antics on a public road should be discouraged and this is one circumstance when I root for the cops to "win".

Agreed.

I've had 2 incidents where I think I was being challenged in my SS, but I'm kind of dense so maybe I was reading too much into things....
grin.gif

First was soon after I got the thing, I was driving back from a visit at Mom's and a guy in a newer Corvette passed me, then kind of eased back and paced me by about a car-length for a bit. I didn't think anything of it until he decided to pull off, and then began to wonder if he was baiting me.

The second time I was getting on the expressway and some "kids" in a Subaru were riding my tuchus on the on-ramp. Not sure if they were also baiting me or just being idiots, but as soon as the ramp straightened out I saw that traffic was light and punched it. I think I was at the next exit before they were even off of the last ramp; at any rate, they never did catch up to me.

Not surprised. I've noticed that other drivers treat me a lot differently depending on what car I drive.

In the Honda Civic, I get cut off frequently. Other drivers often push me out of traffic. Even motorcyclists do this. It must be one of the lowest-ranking vehicles on the road. I installed a more substantial horn; that seems to help.

What's horrible is that when I'm driving other vehicles, I know that I can take advantage of Civics' meekness.

I also get cut off a lot in the Dodge Ram Van, but never pushed around.

In the Buick Park Avenue, I get a lot of respect. It's sometimes very annoying--like when people at 4-way stops wait for me to go even though it's not my turn. The one thing that happens is many drivers approaching from the rear pick the other lane at stoplights on 4-lane streets. I figure they're thinking that they don't want to get caught behind a slow octogenarian. They almost always end up merging behind me after the light, though. It's a pretty fast car.

Strangely, I have this happen to me more in the expedition than in the mustang.. Which is funny, because it is usually honda civis (gee, what a shocker) and those kinda things. And I can easily mop the floor with them in a 4.6L Expy. It's usually on one stretch of road, 2 lanes each direction, stopllight, 55mph speed limit. Never happens to me in the mustang....
21.gif

You'll get a lot of people that will challenge you to race. It happens to me all the time in my MR2. It's almost always an immature driver who thinks their civic, jetta, other mass produced eco-car is race worthy. My advice is just to ignore them and enjoy your car. If you want to race fight a track or event and do it properly and safely. Cheers

I don't get bothered in my truck or the CRX. I've had revs thrown at me in the CRX, but once it was made clear that it's bone stock their urge to race passed.

Nobody bothers me much when I'm in the 98 Z28, either. Anybody that cares knows where their car is in the pecking order, and don't pick on stronger cars. I did have an episode when an M3 and I came to the front of the lines at a stoplight. It was gonna happen. It did. Sound and Fury. Tied. It was fun, though.

I see this a LOT.

I've owned a number of "performance" cars and almost all of them seem to attract this sort of attention at times. But hands down the worst car ever for drawing in the idiots was my '03 Cobra. It seemed to attract every teenage ricer idiot with stickas and a huge exhaust pipe for three counties.

The GTO I have now, gets no attention at all....and I like it.

Never in my old school BMW sedan and my gray hair! That said, I may not even notice the other driver's urge to race.
smile.gif

Last edited:
There you are. I love a 'sleeper'.

People racing in traffic should be shot. I cannot go along with it at all.

Take it to the track. It's a lot more fun!

Drive an ex-police Crown Vic plain wrapper and nobody messes with you because they think you're the real deal! It's also fun to watch everybody pull over as you cruise in the high-speed lane.

It happens from time to time in Z4 and less frequently in the A6. Ricers don't do it (well, except for an Accord once), it's usually folk driving German cars. Once it was a young guy in some kind of new model Cadillac. It doesn't bother me at all as I usually ignore them.

In my occasional beater, a 2003 Civic, no one wants to race and cars will sometimes cut in front of me and other mistreatment. That never happens in the BMW or the Audi.

The same thing happens to me every day :^) I always like to act like I`m going to race them,and when the light turns green,watch them and laugh at them as they all peel out and tear up their cars,haha!

I have raced a few times though. One time I raced a late 90s era Mustang GT in my gf`s Olds 98 (he was riding my bumper and kept revving) and beat it twice in a row,haha! His friend was laughing so hard at him that when I pulled back up next to him,he rolled up his windows and drove away in shame. Another time it was some kid in a brand new Acura TL. He wouldn`t stop doing the revving thing so I beat him twice in a row too. He waved and drove off.

The funniest things are the bov`s. Those things sound sooooooooooo STUPID!!!!!!!! I always just point and laugh.

Only one ricer Civic has even noticed my STI sport wagon in the last two years. He only wanted me to rev, not race. I was in the middle of a conversation with my passenger when he yelled over, revving his baller ride all the way to smoke-inducing redline. I rev'd to 3500 rpm and rolled up the window.

Since "upgrading" to the STI, I've actually been teased by other rexes, a C5 Corvette and a few others, but just the one ricer. Odd...

Most people don't pay the GTO any mind at all. Most of the people I've had trying to race are in those little Scion sedans (tC?) but then, the people who drive those appear to try racing everyone based on the number of them smashed up I see on flatbeds and the way I see them driven on the roads.

Originally Posted By: JT1
For the last year my DD was a 1991 chevy caprice, all was good it was very reliable just a little mundane, I was only one time "challenged" by another driver to race. This was against a dodge ram 1500 5.9, hardly worth the gas I probably would have lost anyway.

Just yesterday I picked up a 1997 Eclipse GST, for those that do not know this is a FWD 2dr 2.0 turbocharged version of the standard eclipse, the only cosmetic differences from a Non turbo eclipse are the badges and a larger "arch" type spoiler. Besides the aftermarket wheels it is stock appearing, the only other modifications are hidden under the hood.

Just since yesterday I've been challenged or had people rev their exhaust at me twice(oddly enough both honda civics), in both of these situations I was in no position to race nor had the interest.

I'm really just wondering if any other sports car or muscle car owners have noticed how differently people act when your driving your "hot rod" as opposed to your daily beater?

Has happened to me most of my life as I used to drive muscle cars and when I got out of that and more into new vehicles I dress them up, add dual exhaust, etc... I do not race on the street though. I have done that maybe 2-3 times in total and it was when I was young and STUPID! I applaud you for not doing it.

I get challeneged to race at least 1-2 times a week. Usually by some stupid teenage kid in a little ricer rocket with a phart can muffler( I know it is spelled wrong ), a ridiculous big wing on the trunk, and some tribal grahpics who thinks he has a super fast vehicle because of that. I just ignore them. I am not racing on the street and risking hurting or killing myself or others to prove anything.

I get a lot of that in my current truck as said. I dressed it up with a muscle car tribute theme because I like my vehicles to be unique and look good. It is not an invitation to street race.

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back