Speed Queen quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Speed Queen commercial units were real workhorses,couldnt be killed.With modern times,things have gone downhill everywhere.....

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

But the not-so-good will be that some reviews say they're rough on clothes, don't have a good gentle cycle. I've also read some complaints on an appliance forum of grease leaking from somewhere in the washer and contaminating clothes.

The grease problem was from the stainless tub and the machining process used to create it. It's since been addressed. The owner's manual even tells you can wipe it down once you install it....just to make sure.

Last edited:
That is about as close as you are going to get today in a heavy duty washer.
I keep our 22 year old Maytags going because they were the last of the old school HD washers.
I intend to seriously look at the SQ's when I finally have to replace the Maytags.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I keep our 22 year old Maytags going because they were the last of the old school HD washers.
I intend to seriously look at the SQ's when I finally have to replace the Maytags.

We had a Maytag for at least 25 years. We replaced it with the SQ just as you plan on doing. I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. The SQ will last the rest of your life (life is too short..why wait?)

Last edited:
I recall when Speed Queen washers used to be the darlings of laundromats. Don't know about its recent reputation.

When my 18 year old Whirlpool top loader dies, I'll be buying another one like it.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
When my 18 year old Whirlpool top loader dies, I'll be buying another one like it.

This is my plan as well. My clothes always seem clean enough and seem to last long enough so don't try to sell me on those advantages of front loaders. I runt two loads per week so the payback related to water savings would be decades. The price differences are HUGE between the two types of washers.

Thanks all.

My petite better half likes front loaders for convenience, but after the Bosch and the Maytag Neptune (which were great once fixed under the recall) she could probably be talked into a top loader.

Looks like Speed Queen it is.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The old Speed Queen commercial units were real workhorses,couldnt be killed.With modern times,things have gone downhill everywhere.....

The most reliable choice:

columbus-washboard.jpg

Speed Queen top loaders are the way to unless your water is extremely expensive. They are the real deal, much like my Maytag I'm currently using which was made in the mid 1980s and has had one belt and no other repairs. I also have a Staber. I also have a fully working Maytag made in the 1970s.

I must be lucky I got the whirlpool 700$ for the pair models.(washer dryer)

Going strong at 3 years currently.

Center agitator is a plus IMO.

on SUPER load it actually fills up pretty high with water

and it has options for additional spray rinse and 2nd rinse.

No complaints except it destroyed 1 shirt in 3 years.

Probably 3-7 loads a week.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

We had a Maytag for at least 25 years. We replaced it with the SQ just as you plan on doing. I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. The SQ will last the rest of your life (life is too short..why wait?)

The Maytags are simply too good.
In 22 years, I replaced the belt on the washer. That's it.
Besides, other more pressing appliance issues.
Bought a new Whirlpool fridge in July to replace a 12 year old one that woofed. Bought a new Bosch dishwasher. Found out the Bosch repairman is a good guy in both of his visits.
Next acquisition is a frost free upright freezer with a built in ice maker to replace a 20 year old Kenmore manual defrost that works as well as the Maytags. Tired of defrosting the freezer and life IS too short to not have enough ice.
The Maytags will trudge on........

My grandparents had one of these in the 70's. I wish they were still available.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Why get the front load model?

They clean better, treat your clothes better, use less water, and typically spin out better. Those are off the top of my head.

That being said, I've not heard anyone complain about the quality of Speed Queen - they seem to be top notch but no frills.

You may want to ask over here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry They are the BITOG of Laundry.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

They clean better, treat your clothes better,

I doubt if anyone that has had both would agree with this.

Washers and dryers have become almost like cabinets and countertops when it comes to remodeling. The front loaders look more modern and come in a variety of colors. Of course, a matched set is imperative even if one of your existing two appliances is working fine.

I'll take the closed-door laundry room with whatever washer and dryer works well for me and is reliable. Others can do as they wish but I'm not going to shell out the bucks just for something pretty and new that most likely will never last as long as what I already have.

My fondest wish for my washer and dryer (heck, the refrigerator, too - also purchased in 1991) is that they will last for the rest of my life. I can't get excited about buying appliances. Now, if they ever invent one that washes, dries, and folds without human intervention...

Before I bought the Speed Queen I bought a top of the line Whirlpool front loader . For the first half dozen loads or so it was pretty good then it started making a rumbling noise at spin. then it started taking up to 4 hours to complete a load. I called the service guy and he said the bearing is bad on the drum bearing. Well yeah. Warranty covered the job which was interesting because the whole drum assembly was a unit at over $500.00 . The washer was $1000.00. Then after repair the washer still sucked and operated progressively worst .I called Whirlpool and politely explain the problem and my unhappiness. But I gave accolades to the store I bought it from because over the years they have provided service above and beyond any business I have ever dealt with. The store owner called and picked up the washer and brought me another machine, then another machine to demo finally I received a 100% refund and purchased the Speed queen from the store.

Oh, I absolutely agree. They do the actual job of cleaning clothes a lot better, the dryer runs a lot less since the clothes come out of the front-loader a lot drier already (spin is > 1000 RPM), and our clothes last about twice as long- jeans in particular. You can tell the front-loader is tearing up the clothes a lot less because the dryer lint filter doesn't fill up nearly as much on a load done in the front-loader as it does on one done in the top-loader. This is using the same dryer- we have a front-loader, top-loader, and a dryer in the garage laundry room so its a direct comparison.

All that said, the front-loader was pretty UN-reliable until I went through it, cleaned and applied electronic grease to all electrical connectors, and fabricated a new internal drain hose out of tougher material. The top-loader (80s Whirlpool) has been bulletproof and parts are super cheap, in comparison. The front-loader cycles are also a lot longer than the top loader, but that's OK for the most part. There is a "quick wash" option, but when you use it I don't think it cleans as well and it still takes a little longer than the top loader. If speed is a consideration, top loaders win.

You'd be wrong.

I've had both, and I've been extremely pleased with our front loaders. We own 2 sets-one at our lake house and one here at home. Both sets (Samsung) have been trouble free and do an extremely good job of getting clothes clean. When we put in the washer here at home, we immediately noticed a reduction in our monthly water usage.

Both sets are in the 6-7 year old range. At the time we purchased them I specifically stayed away from the Amana, GE, Whirlpool and Maytag brands (along with other similar brands) because of the poor reviews and quality. While I try to buy USA made whenever possible, those brands simply aren't on my radar for appliances because of their quality issues.

> The front-loader cycles are also a lot longer than the top loader

If you value your time, get a top-loader.
I remember the wash/dry cycle at a front-loader laundromat in the UK was horribly long, at least 3 hours (3.5 hrs, if I remember correctly).

By contrast, our top-loader washes in about 30 minutes, and our front-load natural gas dryer dries in about 60 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back