Spark plugs - Replace or not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
mechtech2:

Here is the info from sparkplugs.com :

"A traditional iridium plug such as a Denso IK20 or NGK ZFR6FIX-11 both have iridium center electrodes, however the ground electrodes are the traditional nickel construction. The ground electrode will wear out first. The manufacturers are saying 40,000 to 60,000 miles on iridium plugs. But they have to temper their projections as driving conditions and motor modifications differ. Typically we have found you can expect 60,000 to 80,000 miles on an unaltered motor. (One of our trucks has had the Denso's in for 76,000 miles. We examined 2 of the plugs, they had some minor spooning on the ground electrode. Put them back in and will likely change them in another 5,000 miles.)

Both Denso iridium racing plugs and some NGK iridium racing plugs have iridium center and a platinum ground electrodes. If installed in a regular engine, they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). But, these usually come in heat ranges too cold for an unaltered motor and are usually used in racing applications where all bets are off.

For the traditional automotive market, the longest lasting plugs are the NGK "IFR" series and the Denso "SK" series. These have iridium center and platinum tipped ground electrodes, however, these are extremely limited in application as they only manufactured these in a couple of heat range configurations."

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Waste of money. My 2000 Intrepid has the original Champion Plats in there . 137,000 miles.I inspected and cleaned them in the spring and reinstalled with some anti-seize on the threads. The car gets the same mileage as when new.

I would never in a million years re-install a used plug. That's just me.

BTW I have used Autolites in at least 3 vehicles (08 Forester, 04 Acura, 01 Nissan Sentra) instead of the recommended NGK. They are a very solid plug. Just pulled the ones that had 70K miles on them out of my son's Acura. They looked like new.

At 4 bucks each.
crazy2.gif

Even if you decide not to replace them i would yank them all and make sure they have the correct sparkplug anti-seize.

If I am going to take the time to pull the plugs out of the engine, you can be sure that I will have a new set of plugs ready to go in.

I'm not inspecting a 3 dollar part, especially when the full job takes 4 plugs.

a long time ago i experimented a LOT with spark plugs. the bigest thing i learned. if the center electrode is rounded this will kill performance more than anything

Change them and drive another 100k without worry. Clean and replace and they will be that nagging thing in the back of your mind every time your car hiccups. Even eight or nine dollars apiece for the more expensive iridiums is still a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I had a customer in my store today pricing plugs for his 5.7L Dodge Ram with 113k on the clock. Sixteen plugs at eight bucks a pop, talk about sticker shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back