Spark Plug Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a good tech question for all of ya. I replaced all my plugs back in the early summer. I got MC Double Plats. I ran them all summer with no problems. I pulled em out about 2 weeks ago just to see how they looked (after runnin FP the past few tanks). They looked GREAT,but when I was pullin the last one I broke the ceramic on it. So I popped in the junk Bosch Super(they dont go the whole way in the cylinder on the Focus) and went down and got a new one. So the next morning I put in the new MC plug and it fired right up. The next day I started to get a miss when the car was under load (Goin up hill when I should downshift...). So I was kinda thinkin that I had a fuel pump issue. So I decided to pull the plugs to see if there was a problem there, when I got the one that I just replaced I found that there was a small crack in the ceramic, I called the dealer and they replaced it. So yesterday I replaced that plug again, drove around the neighborhood...No problems. Parked it for like 10 mins went to my grandparents house....It started missing again. I was mad, I went out this morning after it was all cooled off, pulled out and there was a crack on the same spot of this plug. Any idea what could be causing this? I have had the other 3 in for about 6 months with no issues. The junk Bosch Super I put it hasnt cracked and I have had it in and out 3 times in the past 2 weeks.

--------------------
Eric
01 ZX3 Jackpot Gold, 5-Sp, MBRP Exhaust, Ported TB, 9mm Wires, MC Double Plats

which ceramic, the one around the electrode or the one on the plug wire side?

my guess would be torque problems perhaps, but its entirely possible you got that many bad plugs in a row. I've always been told and read that if a spark is ever dropped, never re-use it.

What is your procedure to install/remove plugs?

I'm thinkin that ChrisW is pretty close. You got both plugs from same dealer and they both broke. Dealer could have had a particular batch that was marginal quality? Try to go back, just get a refund for that one, go get another one from another dealer just to eliminate that possibility.
Try to examine that plug port carefully and see if there is any thread damage or chunk-o-carbon or anything else in the threads. I would probably stick a shop vac up to it first, then wipe a cloth in the threads and see how clean you can get them, then lightly antiseize the new plug and thread in by hand until hand-tight (that way you can easily feel any threading issues).
I'm not trying to oversimplify this or anything, I'm just suggesting a possible "plug too tight in hole (due to possible build-up?)" and hot/cold expansion/contraction situation...
If it does it again, I would try a different brand of plug in that 1 particular spark port-
could be a verrrrry close dimensional tolerance problem. Really want to hear the answer to this one.

An employee somewhere along the distribution pipeline, dropped a box of plugs. Had some idiot at Checker drop a box from a ladder, from the very top shelf. Picked them up and handed them to me. I said, give me a box that wasn't dropped
crushedcar.gif
Cracked spark plugs will usually induce detonation because the plug become useless at removeing heat from the combustion chamber.

I know I got this replacement from another batch. The last two were in a brand new all red MC box. The one I got today was in the older looking red and white box. So I am gonna swap it in tomorrow. I am gonna scope down the hole with a light to see if there is anything there.

The cracking is happening on the outer ceramic, I am running the stock coil with Ractive wires which are only 2 months old. I have been using antiseize on these plugs and putting them in by hand until they get tight and then I give it a small crank with the ratchet. I will let you know tomorrow what the outcome is.

Eric

If its cracking on the wire side (outside ceramic), i'd point to a wire problem.

These are tapered seat or crush washer?
\

edit: i just checked NGK's part finder and it appears they are tapered seat sparks plugs. "Laser Platinum, Part #PTR5A-13, Stock #2467, Gap:.050"

Is it cracking near the top of the ceramic closest to the part where the wire goes or more near the hex/head part, or in the middle etc?

[ January 04, 2005, 02:37 AM: Message edited by: ChrisW ]

quote:

I am running the stock coil with Ractive wires

Those wires suck. Ractive produces all sorts of ricer hardware. I dunno if it's causing your problems tho.

Its cracking down by the hex end, its been on the model number the last two times. Today the new one will be going in. If it happens again, I am going to swap wires. Since my dad seems to think I am doing something wrong I am having him install the plug
grin.gif
Will update this afternoon.

Eric

You (or your dad) are using a spark plug socket with the rubber inside it, right? Contact between the plug end and the socket can easily crack the ceramic.
Terry

Well the plug is in...No issues yet. I really didnt drive the car much today. Took it on the same test route after I put the plug it. I got on it, I dogged it...No problems. I also took it to get a haircut, no issues then either. Looks like I just got two bad plugs.....I will let you all know whats happens in the next few days.

Eric

Is there ANY CHANCE you broke the plugs?? Did you use a special spark plug socket with a rubber liner that protects the insulator? A normal socket can bind on the insulator as you turn it and snap the porcelain...

I am using a plug socket. The sad part is that it broke again today
frown.gif
So I am going to go for a new set of wires when I get back off the road from work. Oh well, hopefully that will cure the problem.

Eric

offtopic.gif
Where did you get your name Fuelrod? Would it have to do with Nuclear Fuel? Just curious

Yo Jack, here I go thinking again....
Original post you thought that YOU broke that last plug when you removed it, You sure it wasn't broke already? You used the same plug socket to R&R the other plugs and they didn't break. The plug wires are not causing the other plugs to break. Sounds like something in particular about that particular cylinder and particular type plug combination-you said the "junk bosch Super" did not break right?
Almost sounds like that particular cylinder may be cooling unevenly? maybe causing a stress on the plug?
It does not sound like the wires are the problem to me- Have you tried some other brand of platinum plug for that one cylinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back