So what does "W" mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

"W" means wide. 10w30 is a wide oil. 5w40 is a very wide oil. You really want a narrow oil like SAE 30 as its narrowness allows it to get into the bearings better.

And please don't confuse wideness with viscosity. They are two completely different things like X and Y on a grid and only meeting at the zero. That is why you don't want an OwXX oil because when the two meet everything collapses and you lose essential wideness as well as viscosity.

[ April 29, 2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by ericgl:
The definitive answer is Winter.

EDIT: It will get you one point on the CLS exam.

IT does not mean winter or weight.

It is just a freaking letter.

And to all thinking that in a 10w30 that the engine oil is a 10 weight when cold and a thicker weight weight warm need to go back to highschool.

Since when is oil thinner when cold.

Again, W is not for winter or weight. It is just a letter.

Yes, the method for determining the number that precedes the W is totally different than the other number. If both numbers were a measurment of kinematic viscosity at 212F for the 2nd number and say, 0F for the fist number, then 10w-30 would read more like 400W-30
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rev440:
From what I hear "W" mean "Wabbit"
These "W" oils should ONLY be used in Volkswagen Wabbits.
The oil gets into the beawings quick wike a wabbit.

haa aa aa aa aa aa
fruit.gif

The wabbit kicked the bucket! The wabbit kicked the bucket!
grin.gif
Coincidentally, my 3 year old son is watching that very episode of Bugs Bunny right this second as I read this thread!
grin.gif

That Dr. Haas writes some things that are just goofy. "Flow = Lubrication." He evidently knows NOTHING about lubrication within a journal bearing. The hydrodynamic
 -
pumping action within the bearing builds very high pressure. This is what keeps the journal and bearing apart. Flow from the oil pump just keeps a supply of filtered, cooled oil coming into the bearing.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by ozzman_g7com:
Hi, I was looking the other day on motor oils, and I saw a 10W30, and I
thought "What did the W stand for", I have heard that W means winter,some say weight, and
others say that it is just a designation that means how the oil acts on low
temperatures, so what does it mean?

-

Since everything here is about motor OILS..
grin.gif

[ April 30, 2005, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Talked to a lady on a street corner tonight. She told me that "W" stands for "World". 20 to have it straight up, 50 if you want to "go around the world". Thus 20w50.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
"W" means wide. 10w30 is a wide oil. 5w40 is a very wide oil. You really want a narrow oil like SAE 30 as its narrowness allows it to get into the bearings better.

And please don't confuse wideness with viscosity. They are two completely different things like X and Y on a grid and only meeting at the zero. That is why you don't want an OwXX oil because when the two meet everything collapses and you lose essential wideness as well as viscosity.

hhmn , this wideness you speak of, is this similar to the smoke theory of electronics?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by andyd:
hhmn , this wideness you speak of, is this similar to the smoke theory of electronics?
grin.gif

I don't know about electronics, but everytime I do electrical work there is smoke!
grin.gif
When I stuck the two 110 volt lines together (one from each side of the service) there was a huge flash and bang. Blew both 60 amp main fuzes. It's a wonder I am still alive.
pat.gif
What was I thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back