So pretty much Motorcraft, Purolator or Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some searches, and I'm thinking that the consensus here is that in lo-priced filters is that Motorcraft, Purolator, and Wix are pretty solid. I'm driving a '95 F-150 with a 4.9l engine and about 260,000 miles, so my choice of oil filter may not be critical, but I still don't want to use junk.

If I go to Walmart, the Motorcraft is usually pretty cheap, and the Purolator is available here at a good price too. I'm in Southern California, BTW. The Wix or Napa Gold is usually at least a dollar more, so I'm pretty much a Motorcraft and Purolator guy, although I've cut open a fair number of Frams that seemed OK.

So do I have it right?

Yes,the Motorcraft FL-1A is what would work on your truck cant beat it for the money,i have used them since 1974 when i was in high school working at local Ford dealer and parts man told me to use them on my 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner instead of a Fram PH8A.This was also about the time i started to use motorcraft oil.

Originally Posted By: daman
Or a CQ Blue same as a NG,WIX. all solid choices!

+1 Wix is sold under different names, it is a fine filter, I try so many filters and have cut them open Wix is a tough filter, I hated Puro's and got blasted on here for it. My beef was for the 99%.9 Filtration @ 30um, it is a little deceptive for people with smaller cars because they base that # on a big filter. I will say the ones I have cut open were all very nicely pleated/constructed and I was really pounding the engine during the tests. So both are well made but I can't speak for MC but others love them. M1, K&N, Bosch D+ are all steps above IMO.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: daman
Or a CQ Blue same as a NG,WIX. all solid choices!

+1 Wix is sold under different names, it is a fine filter, I try so many filters and have cut them open Wix is a tough filter, I hated Puro's and got blasted on here for it. My beef was for the 99%.9 Filtration @ 30um, it is a little deceptive for people with smaller cars because they base that # on a big filter. I will say the ones I have cut open were all very nicely pleated/constructed and I was really pounding the engine during the tests. So both are well made but I can't speak for MC but others love them. M1, K&N, Bosch D+ are all steps above IMO.

I do believe a Puro 1 has better beta specs then wix "over all" but yea all good..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back