So far: Very happy with Volkswagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FowVay
Arco, what were the precise frequency numbers that you recorded (in Hz of course) of the chassis of the VW? Do you have the numbers for the Malibu also?

Just curious if this was a true technical measurement or a opinion.
If you look on a table at see that there are three purple balls and two yellow balls, I can use my senses and count five balls and note their colour. This is a statement of fact using my senses. Proof is in the pudding.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
I think I'd be sad if they valued my life at $50.

I wonder what Hyundai values yours at?

I'm guessing right around the same value as your opinion on this topic.
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
I think I'd be sad if they valued my life at $50.

Who said that VW equates this amount to the value of your life?

How much would you expect VW to offer you for this inconvenience? A free car? A hundred grand? Most would say that human life is worth more than that anyway and that you can't put a price on human life...

Originally Posted By: crw
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: crw
I wonder, since drivers in the USA rarely use the horn,

It depends where you live. Go to a place like NYC and you'll hear plenty of honking.
smile.gif

I stand corrected. Here in civilized Idaho we don't honk the horn constantly!

Yeah, I know it varies by location, I was just pointing out my experiences from various places I've driven in. With that said, if a person in front of me falls asleep and the light turns green, I'll give 'em about 3 seconds. After that, I'll fire away, or the drivers behind me will.

Out in the boonies, it doesn't matter... you and that other guy are typically the only two cars at the red light, so even if he snoozes, you'll both still get through the intersection after he wakes up and before the light turns red. But in big cities where there are tens if not hundreds of cars lined up in front of the light, you've got to be on your toes.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I could not stop laughing when richpin documented all the steps in replacing battery on 4 year old Jetta.

Watch and Weep

- Vikas
2012 - 2004 = 8 years. Two platform generations ago.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: David S.
I could not stop laughing when richpin documented all the steps in replacing battery on 4 year old Jetta.

Watch and Weep

- Vikas
2012 - 2004 = 8 years. Two platform generations ago.
laugh.gif

Meaning that it's now even more difficult to replace the battery?
grin2.gif

I have watched couple of youtube videos on VW maintenance such as changing battery or changing drivebelt on VW Jetta.

Watch and Weep

- Vikas

Watch and weep????

mmmmmmk.

Well, here is my engine compartment:
2jbl17q.jpg

Pull the cover off the battery (use fingers, lift up) and there is your battery. Done.

Hmmmmm. All done without weeping. . . . LOL
crazy.gif

Ahh, a 4 is too small, a six is too big and the 5 is just right. Do these 5's have a even 144 deg firing order or is its loped? I have never liked the 4 cyl 180 deg order for luggability. IN an inline 4, All pistons are near/at TDC or BDC when one is fired - I imagine the 5cyl with a 144deg order they are all well into a downstroke or up stroke. Many benefits there, IMO. Is the VW fiver made in (former) Yugoslavia?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ahh, a 4 is too small, a six is too big and the 5 is just right. Do these 5's have a even 144 deg firing order or is its loped? I have never liked the 4 cyl 180 deg order for luggability. IN an inline 4, All pistons are near/at TDC or BDC when one is fired - I imagine the 5cyl with a 144deg order they are all well into a downstroke or up stroke. Many benefits there, IMO. Is the VW fiver made in (former) Yugoslavia?

I'm not sure where their made. I know that when VW took over Lamborgini, VW took the Lambo V10 and made their I5 out of one bank of the lambos engine. I think they just used the design and block. All the internals are ofcourse different for the most part.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I'm not sure where their made. I know that when VW took over Lamborgini, VW took the Lambo V10 and made their I5 out of one bank of the lambos engine. I think they just used the design and block. All the internals are ofcourse different for the most part.

That is true... well, I don't know about the block part, but I know some of the parts in the head are the same part numbers. Kind of funny and cool.

Love the wife's 2008 Rabbit. Also loved my 2003 Jetta, my 1998 Jetta, my 1988 Jetta, my 1984 Scirocco, my 1967 Bug, and my 1966 Bug...
smile.gif

robert
(drives a Miata and a Tacoma now, though)

I don't think even historically most VW probs have been in initial quality.

Come back in two years and remind us of this post. That will be the test of time.

Best of luck to you.

VW's problems seemed to be unique to their NA operation, and as I understand it, its pretty much independent of their Euro HQ (I could be wrong on this, I haven't looked at VW in awhile).

First car I ever bought was a '79 Rabbit. Interesting thing about that car was it was far more sporty to drive than actual "sporty" models I've driven since then, and despite its small footprint felt as large inside, and less cramped, than newer cars I've driven with a much bigger footprint (G5 is a good example: not big by any stretch, but much bigger than my Rabbit and I felt outright claustrophobic in the G5 it felt that cramped inside).

Also ran like a top and seemed as bulletproof as a tank. I drove it HARD and could not kill it. Still remains the standard I've measured everything else by ever since (in its functional yet simplicity of design, resilience and dependability, and fun to drive factor).

LOL maybe some of that is just nostalgia too, but I still loved that car and hated to part with it (sold it when I moved and couldn't take it with me)

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Is the VW fiver made in (former) Yugoslavia?

The I-5 in Mexico, the TDI in Poland, and the 3.6 VR6 in Germany. I can't remember where the 2.0T comes from, but probably somewhere in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back