snowblower synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears (around me) has synthetic oil for snowblowers close to 2/3 off at around $2.59. Its 5W30. Of course why its labeled for snowblowers is anyone's guess.

For the little amount of oil(oz) and cost that any of my OPE take, synthetic would be an inexpensive opiton to dino oil. But, I have never used syn oil in my OPE.

Yeah, I haven't used the Sears oil but why not if the price is good. In my opinion, OPE is a poster child for synthetic oil with most of it being air-cooled. And a snow thrower, expected to start at below zero temps is an ideal application. I use 0W-30 in mine.

Synthetics work great in Snowblowers and other yard equipment 4 cycle engines but be careful of ester based synthetics.
I had a serious problem with the original GC in one, the stuff is an attraction for moisture.

I couldn't get the engine to turn over, i put oil in the cyl in the spring but didn't change the oil as it only had a few hours on it.
Overnight in the warm garage and it turned over like normal, i started it and let it warm up then changed the oil.

It was milky white on an air cooled engine! Now its Mobil 1 0w40 in everything small 4 cycle engine, no problems pulling it easily without the electric starter @ 0f and this is a 12HP.

Never had a problem with GC in my Ariens snowblower. I do notice a little condensation on the end of the dipstick every now and then, but the oil itself is never milky white....just whats on the tip of the dipstick.

Honestly it never even dawned on me that it could be the oil...I dont have much left in my stash so I might change over to something else (like maybe Mobil1 0W-40....wasnt sure if the 40 was too "heavy" for the engine, but probably not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back