Snap-On vs. Matco vs. Gearwrench Metric Universal Impact Extensions

SO:
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Extension-Sockets---Swivel-Ball,-mm,-Industrial-(3/8")/6-pc-3-8"-Drive-6-Point-Metric-Swivel-Ball-Extension-Socket-Set-(10-15-mm)/206PFSXM

Matco:
https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/...-METRIC-6-POINT-LONG-UNIVERSAL-EXTENSION-SET/

GW:

Looks SO is the pinned design while Matco and Gearwrench are pinless.

As with their other universal sockets, I assume the Matco and Gearwrench offerings are not 100% identical here.

From a pricing standpoint, Matco is right in-between the SO and Gearwrench options.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with these?

6 tools $480 or 6 tools $325 or 7 tools $174. Hmmm, yeah. Nope, can't even see any choice in there but then I was born with two left thumbs and have a local shop that takes care of the cars. But the GW seems like by far the best value if all else is equal. Good luck with your decision.

that 11 piece meal on northern tool looks like the same copy and paste stuff…coming out the taiwan impact tool factory that slathers everything in cosmoline

When I investigated the basic impact swivels (ie 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 female one end and male the other end and you supply the socket), Matco was the only one who spoke of OD of the body on their website.

These are often used in tight places or right next to other components, so size matters (to me).

Obviously the largest part is usually that which surrounds the actual swivel mechanism. If you can get your hands on them and there is a difference I'd be inclined to buy whatever set has the smallest average major diameter

6 tools $480 or 6 tools $325 or 7 tools $174. Hmmm, yeah. Nope, can't even see any choice in there but then I was born with two left thumbs and have a local shop that takes care of the cars. But the GW seems like by far the best value if all else is equal. Good luck with your decision.
GW in this case.
Zoro is even cheaper than $174 with the 20% off, but I have been unimpressed with the GW Xcore design. Very poor durability in the field.

When I investigated the basic impact swivels (ie 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 female one end and male the other end and you supply the socket), Matco was the only one who spoke of OD of the body on their website.

These are often used in tight places or right next to other components, so size matters (to me).

Obviously the largest part is usually that which surrounds the actual swivel mechanism. If you can get your hands on them and there is a difference I'd be inclined to buy whatever set has the smallest average major diameter
Great points - and this is also why I prefer the pinless design whenever possible.

Wow, is that a tool you will use regularly? It's not something I'd use often.
The 10mm is an excellent for those “inaccessible” Toyota oil and trans pan bolts. The 12/14mm sizes can come in handy for various brackets and bellhousing bolts.

If you don't have to have the integrated socket Steelman sells a set that's 1/2" dr female and 3/8" male. It's kinda oddball but I kinda like it. I did break one once but I was using a longer breaker bar on a stubborn fastener. Steelman warrantied via mail but there's nothing fast about the process.

I already have these en route - they are the old stock SK USA ones. Locking collar at the end will be perfect for a universal socket - like for the infamous Honda 17mm trans fill plug or for RWD bellhousing bolts:

Need the ones in the original post for the extra tight spots where a normal universal socket won't do.

Reactions: D60
Anyone know if any of these are available in fractional? I'm coming up empty

I have wobble sockets and wobble E-Torx that I use a locking extension of any length I need on. Sorry I don't see much if any advantage with these and the price tag makes them a hard pass for me.

I have wobble sockets and wobble E-Torx that I use a locking extension of any length I need on. Sorry I don't see much if any advantage with these and the price tag makes them a hard pass for me.
You may well be correct -- I'm undecided. If you look at the SnapOn and GW, the socket itself is what swivels, with no "base" underneath it. This seems to allow for better access.

With the Matco set (it appears) and any standalone swivel socket, it must have a "base" to accept a male square drive.

Will this ever really matter? I dunno....

I was trying to get at exhaust manifold collector bolts today on an '03 TJ and my Steelman swivel extension with a stubby 3/8" dr socket still ate up too much Z-space. However I can't say any of the options shown here would have been a solution (without having them in-hand)

You may well be correct -- I'm undecided. If you look at the SnapOn and GW, the socket itself is what swivels, with no "base" underneath it. This seems to allow for better access.

With the Matco set (it appears) and any standalone swivel socket, it must have a "base" to accept a male square drive.
Pros/Cons, right?

The pinless design of the Matco should allow for slightly better range of motion, but the presence of a "base" makes the design less compact than the SO's pinned style.

Much greater range of motion and less torque loss with this design.

Looks like MAC, Cornwell and Steelman also have options:

@D60 - looks like Steelman does make a SAE version, but they are currently OOS: https://steelmantools.com/products/7-swivel-head-3-8-inch-drive-sae-extension-impact-socket-set

No one will ever convince me that snap-off tools are worth their price tag. I laugh at people that get on that truck now. $480 for six pieces? Are they made from the heart of a dying star?

Pros/Cons, right?

The pinless design of the Matco should allow for slightly better range of motion, but the presence of a "base" makes the design less compact than the SO's pinned style.

Much greater range of motion and less torque loss with this design.
I cant see how the design could make much difference, most of these types of tools are hand use tools. Bending joints more than a few degrees with and using an impact on it can be painful.

I cant see how the design could make much difference, most of these types of tools are hand use tools. Bending joints more than a few degrees with and using an impact on it can be painful.
Picture using one on a bolt-on FWD hub/bearing unit without CV axle removal. The compactness plus the few degrees of swivel may be all you need to remove those fasteners without having to remove the axle and ball joint.

Honestly I never had a problem with that, you have to remove the axle nut anyway so just tap the axle in an inch to get the extra clearance you need, the last one I did needed a Rocket socket on the bolts. I am not trying to talk you out of them buy what you like and what you think you can use, if I run into a job I can really use them I will buy them.

Back