Small, V-6 powered coupes…miss them!

Back in the late 1980’s/early 1990’s the market was full of small ‘sporty’ coupes that had the option of a small-displacement V-6, that usually had about 120-140HP:
Oldsmobile Firenza GT 2.8
Oldsmobile Calais 3.0
Buick Sometset 3.0
Chev Cavalier Z-24 2.8
Plymouth Duster 3.0
Mazda MX-3 1.8
Chev Beretta Z-26 3.1
I know that modern 4-cylinder engines put out as much or more power than these V-6, but these little V-6’s had a burble/growl to their engine note that was kinda cool. They also had good, torquey mid-range punch. They were also set apart from basic models with stripes, spoilers, and graphics.
I know I am showing my age, but I just wish we could have ‘growly’ V-6 coupes again…I really wish I had got one while they were popular.
Anyone with me??

Two more of my fave 80s-90s V6 sport coupes were the Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo, and the Oldsmobile Delta 88 coupe, which both had the GM 3800 V6. My 87 Toronado (mine was the Trofeo FE-3 model) was rated 200 HP via the owner's manual.

I would love to have a Gen1 Z24. Such a great looking small coupe, and the stock exhaust was perfectly growly. Enjoyed tinkering with a Fiero for a while, but that car was just too low to the ground for my 50-year-old posterior. Loved that engine, hated working on it. No more mid engines for me.

Drove a bunch of 3.1 Sunbirds while I worked at a Pontiac-Olds dealership, those things were hilariously entertaining in manual form. The Cutlass Ciera International Series 3.8 coupe was an amazing car as well. Tire smoker.

Would also love to have a 2nd Gen Mazda MX6. Intoxicating exhaust note, and a gorgeous body.

I still miss my Duster to this day. It was my favorite of the 32 cars I've owned. Kept it for 4 years, which is a record for me. So light, and surprisingly quick with the manual.

I will say that there's very little I miss about my Calais. It was in the shop way more than it was on the road. But the V6 sounded good.

It's too bad the V6s have been replaced by more powerful turbo fours. They don't sound very good, even if they are amazingly fast. Small, light cars with a V6 are extinct as far as I know. I do miss them.

fiero.jpg

7-Duster.jpg

3-Calais.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 98 mercury mystique with the 2.5 v.6 the engine was a gem to bad the rest of the car was junk.

Reactions: hrv
I had a 98 mercury mystique with the 2.5 v.6 the engine was a gem to bad the rest of the car was junk.
I always wanted a ford contour SVT with the 2.5 v6. but as you said the rest of the car is junk... and now today they all have been beat, or are rusted to all he77.

Reactions: hrv
Like mentioned turbo 4 took over. 300+ HP plenty of mid torque as well it’s not like the turbos are large on any of them from the factory

Those 3.1 berettas etc were like as fast as a 305 tbi f body (and that wasn’t very fast)

Back in the late 1980’s/early 1990’s the market was full of small ‘sporty’ coupes that had the option of a small-displacement V-6, that usually had about 120-140HP:
I know that modern 4-cylinder engines put out as much or more power than these V-6, but these little V-6’s had a burble/growl to their engine note that was kinda cool. They also had good, torquey mid-range punch.

Growl? Yes. Punch? What punch? No.

Get a turboed BMW inline-6 335i or 340i. Both nice growl and punch.

I always wanted a ford contour SVT with the 2.5 v6. but as you said the rest of the car is junk... and now today they all have been beat, or are rusted to all he77.
At least the SVT was made after they figured out that their wiring harness contractor Yazaki was making the engine wiring harnesses with PVC insulation. The end result of that is that the insulation became brittle and cracked right off. Ford did issue an extended warranty on the wiring harnesses, but I doubt many were ever replaced.

Most if not all of those V6’s were 90° with an out of order firing order weren’t they? Those always seemed to have a nice growl, the modern 60° V6’s that fire 1-2-3-4-5-6 just make noise, but pump out way more power.

Oldsmobile Firenza GT 2.8
Oldsmobile Calais 3.0
Buick Sometset 3.0
Chev Cavalier Z-24 2.8
Plymouth Duster 3.0
Mazda MX-3 1.8
Chev Beretta Z-26 3.1
I know that modern 4-cylinder engines put out as much or more power than these V-6, but these little V-6’s had a burble/growl to their engine note that was kinda cool. They also had good, torquey mid-range punch. They were also set apart from basic models with stripes, spoilers, and graphics.
I know I am showing my age, but I just wish we could have ‘growly’ V-6 coupes again…I really wish I had got one while they were popular.
Anyone with me??
Had a Ford Countour w/porsche-cosworth designed Duratec v6 2.5L 170hp speed. Nice car - if it was slapped together correctly.
Also enjoyed an early 2.8L V6 Chevy S10 std cab short box with a 4 speed and a spread bore Rochester VaraJet FFB carb - a mini half Quadra-bog :) Also owned the good X-11 citation with a 4 speed mt.

Ford Contour V6

duratec25.jpg

contour.jpg

Last edited:
Back