Sluggish start when its 20 below zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the phenomenon, check the battery. My GF's integra checks out 100% at 160k, has a brand new battery (less than 1yr old, above the OE rating), and this morning at 12F or so, it was slow to crank.

Maybe her starter is getting weak and doenst like the cold, or draws more power due to inefficiencies, and coupled with a cold battery makes the slow crank.

Her car has GC in it as well.

So I think the situations may be the same. Do you have a block heater or battery heater? Some people bring their batteries inside during the cold spells. But I think 0F should still be OK sitting outside.

at 0F even a 0w- oil is starting to get thicker.

JMH

For FI engines,pauseing for a few seconds before engageing the starter motor will insure fuel rail pressure.Cold weather is a true test of a battery true cranking power.

24 Volts ROCK !

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I know the phenomenon, check the battery. My GF's integra checks out 100% at 160k, has a brand new battery (less than 1yr old, above the OE rating), and this morning at 12F or so, it was slow to crank.

Maybe her starter is getting weak and doenst like the cold, or draws more power due to inefficiencies, and coupled with a cold battery makes the slow crank.

Her car has GC in it as well.

So I think the situations may be the same. Do you have a block heater or battery heater? Some people bring their batteries inside during the cold spells. But I think 0F should still be OK sitting outside.

at 0F even a 0w- oil is starting to get thicker.

JMH

That isn't that cold for a good battery and a well maintained vehicle. If I took my battery inside whenever it got below 0 I would have the terminals worn out. If the battery truly is good, then I would check the terminal connectors and wires for corrosion or broken wires. The starter will pull more current with a cold engine. I normally run M1 in my F150, but am currently running the free Maxlife 5w30. We had -15 last week and it fired right up, but made a little more noise than the M1 does.

[ December 29, 2004, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: tmorris1 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back