Car accelerate right after start

My 06 Saturn Ion Redline rev flares hard especially when it's below freezing. Never above 2500 rpm though, and never for longer than 10 seconds.

You said it's a manual transmission. Is the car moving when it does this?
The rpms will flare in my 07 Accord with MT if I start rolling down the driveway in neutral immediately after starting before giving the rpms a chance to settle down to normal. It doesnt quite rev as high as yours, but probably jumps from about 1500 to 2500- 3000rpm briefly. I assume it has something to do with emissions.

Way back in the day, my first car, a 1989 Mazda 323, was fuel injected with an idle speed control system. It would idle after cold starts in the low 2000s for RPM-- I know, because I put an aftermarket tach in. The more it dipped below freezing, the higher the high idle could be. I personally witnessed it hit 3500 on a -15'F night. It would hit 2k after starting but work its way higher after a minute or two. Heck, maybe the idle air bypass was wide open but thick oil was holding it back until it warmed up.

Anyway, I thought it was bad for the car, so I got interested in motor oil, and ran M1 5w30 in it, circa 1997.

Just throwing it out there, there are cars out there that do this, presumably as a crutch to warm the cat up within an allowable amount of time.

OP should wonder what in Kia's logic would have them doing that. I like the bad battery idea and it never hurts to go on a little patrol cleaning grounds and other connections.

You said it's a manual transmission. Is the car moving when it does this?
The rpms will flare in my 07 Accord with MT if I start rolling down the driveway in neutral immediately after starting before giving the rpms a chance to settle down to normal. It doesnt quite rev as high as yours, but probably jumps from about 1500 to 2500- 3000rpm briefly. I assume it has something to do with emissions.
It happened while it was warming up I was on neutral.

Back