Sludge in 2000 Nissan Quest 3.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
After taking all of what you have said into consideration, i have told him to basicaly run the van at high RPM, to get the moisture out of the oil. And that he should consider going more often for oil changes.

Originally Posted By: JRed
The oil cap having sludge doesn't mean the entire motor is sludged. If you can't see the heads through the oil fill and it isn't making weird noises leave it alone.

If you have proof the engine has some sludge, use something cheap/high detergency and change it more often so that it's "cleaned" gently. Rotella 10w-30/PYB 5w-30/Mobil Super 5000 sound great.

Agreed. Change the oil with any of the above mentioned and call it a day. If he isn't too keen on you driving it your best bet is to give it an oil with high detergency and have him change it every 3k. Not much else you can do if he doesnt want you to

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: JRed
The oil cap having sludge doesn't mean the entire motor is sludged. If you can't see the heads through the oil fill and it isn't making weird noises leave it alone.

If you have proof the engine has some sludge, use something cheap/high detergency and change it more often so that it's "cleaned" gently. Rotella 10w-30/PYB 5w-30/Mobil Super 5000 sound great.

Agreed. Change the oil with any of the above mentioned and call it a day. If he isn't too keen on you driving it your best bet is to give it an oil with high detergency and have him change it every 3k. Not much else you can do if he doesnt want you to

Going to give him a bottle of mobil 5W30 Super 5000 for the change along with a purolator filter, telling him i want to see both of em used when he gets his oil changed, and that i will double check to see if he got ripped off.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G

His insurance won't cover anyone under 25, i forgot to add that.

It sounds pretty normal to me. My understanding is than in NJ, all the insurance companies disallow and drivers under age 25 except for named insured without a special rider which is pretty expensive.

Stephen,

I just bought a 99 Nissan Quest with 161,000 miles on it and no service records. The oil was not that dirty but there was what looked like sludge when I opened the oil fill cap.

I did a flush with a new filter and some 30 weight I had left over from something. After driving it a while the oil was still very clean.

On this engine there is a baffel below the oil fill so you can't see the rocker arms or anything else. My engine seems to be very clean butr looks bad in the fill hole.

I drained the flush oil and put in the called for 5-30. I used Q-State high mileage. The engine was leaking a bit and the high mileage stoped that after a couple of drives.

Your Dad's engine is probably not sludgey inside.

Uh, are MOM & DAD not over 25? Let them drive...

Maybe take Gramps out for a nice trip (not over water)?

Cheers!

p.s. Good Luck!

It seems i have become the "oil Guy" to my friends and family, i checked my grandfathers 2000 quest with 130k on the clock after i ran seafoam through the intake to remove the carbon (it never goes on the interstate, he has odd phobias) and the oil cap had thick sludge under it.

My theory, his short trips at 50mph or less are killing the engine, due to it never going on the freeway. He is 78 years old and hates driving on it, he has fears of stuff, so he never goes on it.

What do you guys reccomend to remove the sludge?

I read that a car not driven long distance ever will not burn off the water condensation that gets into the motor oil. This is probably the source of the sludge on the underside of the oil cap. People who drive long distances do not have this problem.

I would just change the oil and wipe off the oil cap. Have someone drive the vehicle longer distances once in awhile.

It seems i have become the "oil Guy" to my friends and family

Same here.
cool.gif

IMO, I'd do short OCI's, (1k, 2k then 3k, from there what ever you want) with PYB or whatever good dino. Or, for the last oil change use kreen for <1k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back