Sludge and grey matter in my Honda trans!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled my magnetic drain plug on my 1998 CR-v trans. It had a thick, like 1/4"+, coating of not just metal shavings but grey sludge. It's funny, because the dipstick looked clear and I wondered if the fluid had already been done once on this 85k unit. The drain fluid looked nasty, but the plug had this grey matter that stuck to my hands...sorta like anti-sieze. Well, since I only get 50% of the fluid out, my plan is: 1000 miles on the first round, 2000 miles after the next drain, then let it go after 3 procedures. Maybe 6 months again and then once a year...50% of the fluid. Does this sound like a good plan? I have some ARX here, but I don't think it's needed or a good idea. Another thing, Is the grey matter likely metallic and magnetic itself, or is the whole bottom of my trans caked in it?

Its normal wear that the magnet grabs.
The bottom of the pan will have a thin film of stuff that settles out of the ATF when the car is parked. A remote filter will reduce buildup on the plug/pan!

Depending on cost/quantity of ATF used, a drain/refill at every oil change is what I recommend. I personally drain/refill my cars(and cars I service) at least twice a year.

I wouldn't bother doing a 1k or 2k change. Its too early. Give the new fluid some time to work.

I had the same stuff on our Honda's plug. I think it's just real fine metalic dust that the magnet grabs. I added a cooler and in-line filter this year. I'm changing out 3 quarts twice a year to keep it fresh. I think it's better to do that than to let it go a long time and then go through the procedure you're about to do.

clean the magnetic plug real good, put it back in and fill with 3 quarts of honda atf. dont worry about it. the grey stuff is just the stuff you could see with other brands of cars if they had magnatic drain plugs on their transmissions.

Well, the car drives much nicer and way smoother with 50% change. Trans stays in gear and shifts on command more positively. It did shift smooth before, no knocks. Now, the shift lever even travels nicer. Honda ATF. I probally will do the 1000mi change because it coincides with my ARX oil change and it'll be too cold to work on it much later on. Procedure took only 5-10 minutes. Setting up a double funnel to get the ATF in was the hardest part! Thanks everyone.

My pan in my jeep was loaded with the gray paste. The magnetic donut didn't have a beard though ..so all the shedding was of the finer size.

Put a Magnefine (or like product) inline (easiest to install) and you'll probably see that go away.

I have a long funnel and the small opening is just big enough to fit snuggly around the top of the dipstick tube. Makes changing it a snap.

Ya'll do know there is a very large fill plug on the tranny almost directly in line with the dipstick several inches or half a foot towards the firewall don't you? 17 mm on mine.

I saw that on my integra tranny too, when I wipe it with a towel it dissolve and melt into the fiber. Seems like the volume is mostly ATF and some metal powder.

The clutches inside the transmission shed particles, and that is the non-magnetic mud you see. Normal.

I'd do an Auto-Rx cleaning of the transmission, then three sump drains and refills with a short drive between for the fluid exchange.

It is never a bad idea to install an inline filter for the transmission.

Ken

inline filter is an easy and cheap upgrade and eliminates dropping the pan and filter every time you wanna new filter.

Pulled my magnetic drain plug on my 1998 CR-v trans. It had a thick, like 1/4"+, coating of not just metal shavings but grey sludge. It's funny, because the dipstick looked clear and I wondered if the fluid had already been done once on this 85k unit. The drain fluid looked nasty, but the plug had this grey matter that stuck to my hands...sorta like anti-sieze. Well, since I only get 50% of the fluid out, my plan is: 1000 miles on the first round, 2000 miles after the next drain, then let it go after 3 procedures. Maybe 6 months again and then once a year...50% of the fluid. Does this sound like a good plan? I have some ARX here, but I don't think it's needed or a good idea. Another thing, Is the grey matter likely metallic and magnetic itself, or is the whole bottom of my trans caked in it?
The goo on the magnet is normal. That's what the magnet is for.
As for AT fluid changes, what I do is change the fluid every year by draining and adding the three plus-a-little quarts. I don't bother trying to change all the fluid at once. On our third CR-V and no auto trans problems.
Thanks.

AudiJunkie

Your fluid that you describe in you 98 with 85,000 would just about describe my 96 with 85,000.

Bought it used from the Honda dealer, fluid on dipstick looked good, but when changing the fluid it was very dark and the drain plug was covered in the pasty grey debris too.

I thought the dealer had changed the fluid, ha ha ha before he sold the used vehicle.

Now have new Z1 in it and Auto RX that was left over from the engine cleaning.

And in a few weeks the drain fill drain method of getting the Auto RX and dirt out will start.

Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back