Slow-poke Gmail on Android

I have never before encountered this annoyance. It's probably due to an Android setting I have overlooked. When I send a Gmail with an attachment the mail lingers in the Gmail Outbox for way too long. In fact, the mail may linger not just for minutes but hours. I can force the mail to be sent by going to the Outbox and by clicking on the email that is currently queued or in the process of uploading or sending. The email will usually go through as soon as I open it. Having to go to the Outbox to encourage an email to get sent is aggravating.

It's not my connection speed. I can send the same Gmail with the same attachment from my PC in a fraction of a second. What gives? Android 13. What setting in Android could affect emails in the Outbox?

Last edited:
What was the resolution to your attachments issue?

Maybe uninstall and reinstall the app?
It's an ongoing problem with no resolution yet. I can't uninstall the Gmail app.

I just checked the Gmail cache. I had almost 1 GB in there.

Last edited:
I have never before encountered this annoyance. It's probably due to an Android setting I have overlooked. When I send a Gmail with an attachment the mail lingers in the Gmail Outbox for way too long. In fact, the mail may linger not just for minutes but hours. I can force the mail to be sent by going to the Outbox and by clicking on the email that is currently queued or in the process of uploading or sending. The email will usually go through as soon as I open it. Having to go to the Outbox to encourage an email to get sent is aggravating.

It's not my connection speed. I can send the same Gmail with the same attachment from my PC in a fraction of a second. What gives? Android 13. What setting in Android could affect emails in the Outbox?
do you have a message undo function set?
in addition do you have a sleep function on the gmail app, so app cannot function in the background?

do you have a message undo function set?
Yes. But that should not cause a delay of more than 30 seconds max.
in addition do you have a sleep function on the gmail app, so app cannot function in the background?
No.

After clearing the Gmail cache, the problem appears to be no more. Weird, I don't remember ever having to clear the Gmail cache on my PC or on my previous phones. Maybe I have been running a utility that has been clearing the cache.

As it turned out the problem came back but I found out what caused it. Battery Optimization was turned on for Gmail. With that turned off for Gmail there are no more delays. It's a mystery how Battery Optimization got turned on for Gmail, unless 'on' is the default after restarting the phone.

Back